Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Researching Possible Jewish Ancestry-GED painting- NEED HELP PLEASE! :)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Arab

Quote Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
    East Mediterranean and West Asian components show up in Northern-Central Europeans too. Large segments would be less likely, but since Jewish people are mixed themselves, they don’t have to pass down large segments even if the admixture was recent. And even that is only worth to discuss in case the segments were correctly assigned in the first place.

With AJ its easier because any segment will be shared with so many other fully AJ people. That's why even triangulation and 23andme works best for them.
    Well, that's what I'm attempting to do, and which brings me to the following question:

Quote Originally Posted by passenger View Post
    I wouldn't think a segment with a heavy amount of East Med and West Asian would have anything to do with a West European origin, although those components certainly exist among, for instance, the general Iberian population. Of course East Med and West Asian could have other Mediterranean sources, like Sicilian/Southern Italian, but with the particular matches you have, a Jewish origin seems more logical.

Sephardic matches with Italians are not that rare. A huge amount of Jewish migration in the Mediterranean flowed through Italy, going in multiple directions, over many centuries. The most recent connections would be through the partially converso-descended merchant families that conducted trade throughout the Mediterranean, including parts of Italy, North Africa and the Ottoman Eastern Mediterranean. I have distant matches, for instance, that triangulate between Italians with Livornese Jewish surnames, Tunisian Jews (descendants of "Grana" families) and Jews in Izmir/Smyrna in Turkey.
    Do you have any segments on your Sephardic side that only triangulate between you and Hispanic people? I have such a segment on a different Chr. and I was wondering how this fits in with what I've observed on the other segment. It's 9 cM and almost exclusively East Med, with tiny amounts of West Med and North Atlantic (bottom)

Not sure what scenarios come into question in this case

Last edited by andyouare; 07-01-2020 at 11:33 PM.

Sex
    Ethnicity
    NW Europe+Ash/Seph Jewish

England Star of David Netherlands Turkey Denmark Germany
    Quote Originally Posted by andyouare View Post
    Do you have any segments on your Sephardic side that only triangulate between you and Hispanic people? I have such a segment on a different Chr. and I was wondering how this fits in with what I've observed on the other segment. It's 9 cM and almost exclusively East Med, with tiny amounts of West Med and North Atlantic (bottom)

Not sure what scenarios come into question in this case
    TBH I haven't looked into that many shared segments on GEDmatch, as I find it somewhat tedious to navigate, so I don't have any feel for what the segments I share with Iberians and Latin Americans/Hispanic individuals look like in chromosome painting. I do have a considerable number of such matches on MyHeritage. The segments tend to be relatively short, which is probably why I have a lot more than my mother. I'm not sure if this is something that applies to all recent MH customers, but my mother - who tested last December - only has matches who share at least one segment of 12 cM or greater, whereas I have matches who only share 8 cM with me. It is rare for me to have Iberian/Latin American matches who only triangulate with other matches within that group. Usually they also triangulate with other Jewish matches (Ashkenazi or Sephardi).

If you're interested in Sephardic/converso matches, you might want to take the conversation to this thread: https://anthrogenica.com/showthread....ight=Sephardic

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to passenger For This Useful Post:

andyouare (07-02-2020),  chocoholic (07-08-2020)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234