Thread: What is the best, most accurate way to measure recent and ancient ancestry?

Banned
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Northwest + East European
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    I-PF4135
    mtDNA (M)
    U5a1a1
    Y-DNA (M)
    R-CTS241
    mtDNA (P)
    H1h

England Ireland Canada Quebec Normandie Poland Wales

What is the best, most accurate way to measure recent and ancient ancestry?

Hello, I am looking for a very good way to measure recent and ancient ancestry.

Ancestry

My father is a white Southerner and from his tree, most of his ancestors were English, Welsh, Irish, and Scottish colonizers of Virginia. However, I know a lot of Englishmen who moved to Virginia were second and third sons of aristocratic families who would've been of Norman elite origin. On the other side, my mother descends from Irish, French Canadian, and Polish immigrants who immigrated to New England from 1840-1910s (Irish side: 1840-1860s, French Canadian side: 1890s, Polish side: 1910s).

What I would like to figure out

I would love to find out recent ancestry (how Norman, English, Welsh, Polish, etc. am I?)

I would also like to find out ancient ancestry (how Germanic, British Beaker, Slavic, etc. am I?)

What is the best most accurate way to figure out recent and ancient ancestry?
    Last edited by Thomas Spence; 06-26-2020 at 11:22 PM.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    English, Irish, German
    Nationality
    US
    Y-DNA (P)
    L21>L226>FGC5639

England Germany Netherlands France Ireland Switzerland
    The best method is via traditional genealogy and where the surnames of your ancestors originate at IO.Surname. atDNA do have progressively more accurate sample sizes - but your Polish and Portuguese ancestors are probably not well covered in the database used for these estimates. By far the most accurate (and by far the most expensive) is YDNA as migration patterns for YDNA haplogroups are getting more recent and this is a top down approach where testers are building the descendant chart of mankind. mtDNA works similar to YDNA but it is a mere 16,000 base pairs and YDNA is 59,000,000 base pairs (around 20 million now being read and genes occupy a lot as well). But many of your cousins may have tested YDNA already - but this takes a lot of effort to flesh out every male line and half of your females are left with the paltry size of the mtDNA issue.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to RobertCasey For This Useful Post:

JMcB (06-30-2020)