Thread: K36 results showing Scandinavian pull

Registered Users
    Sex
    Omitted
    mtDNA (M)
    V3c

Italy Canada Quebec England Scotland

K36 results showing Scandinavian pull

Iím thinking I may have posted this in the wrong board so Iím posting here...

Iíve posted on here before about my grandmotherís Ancestry results and Iíve finally uploaded her raw data to GEDMatch and ran her K36 map. Iíve attached both. Long story short, her known ancestry is half English and Scottish on one side, and half colonial American on the other. She gets a whopping 16% Swedish on her Ancestry results that I canít find any records to back up, most of her colonial side goes back to England or Scotland as well, but thereís a good amount of lines that Iíve hit brick walls on on that side. No records for the 4% Norway and 4% Germanic but those donít seem like out of line amounts for colonial results.

I know Colonial Americanís usually receive results from E/W/NWE, Ireland and Scotland, Germanic, And Norway/Sweden usually in that order from greatest to least. I know itís nearly impossible to parse apart Colonial results, so please donít get me wrong, Iím not attempting to do that.
    With the large amount of Sweden, does the K36 map possibly point to the 16% being accurate and not some weird overshot by Ancestry?
    Iím curious what anyone with better understanding of the GEDMatch tools thinks of this.

5B27F26A-4C9E-4E5D-B01A-C5ED1DE9E904.jpeg364C819B-A1E5-42EB-858E-AB93AFC2D04E.jpeg
    My paper trail: 50% Italian, 25% French Canadian, 12.5% English, 12.5% Scottish.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    British Isles/Germanic
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-L196
    mtDNA (M)
    T2b4a

United States of America England Prussia Rheinland Prussia German Confederation
    Ancestry is pretty bad.. 23andMe seems to do a better job all around. Before the last update in August 2019 I had 7% Germanic, and my mom, dad, and brother all had 0%. Then with the update I lost all Germanic and my Sweden went from 5% to 11% and I also lost 3% Norway to 0%. All my immediately family mentioned all gained Germanic too. Now my results are below with my K36 as well... patiently waiting for the next Ancestry update to see if they can do better. On 23andMe I'm 22.7% French & German which seems pretty accurate from what I know.

CtV2sp5.jpg

I am actually from South Carolina but I'm only 2nd gen as my dad's side (both sides) are all from Georgia and my mom's from Ohio.

Here's my 23andMe:

Capture.JPG
    Last edited by aafusc2988; 07-13-2020 at 09:48 PM.
    AncestryDNA: 31% Scotland (9-31%), 27% England & Northwestern Europe (26-58%), 14% Sweden & Denmark (0-23%), 11% Ireland (0-21%), 9% Germanic Europe (0-29%), 5% Wales (0-10%), 3% Norway (0-12%)

23andMe (v5.9 - 50% Confidence phased with both parents): 70.9% British & Irish, 27.4% French & German, 0.8% Broadly Northwestern European,
    0.5% North African, 0.2% Senegambian & Guinean, 0.2% Angolan & Congolese

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    mixed European
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    Dad: R1b/L21/DF63
    mtDNA (M)
    K2b2
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-M269
    mtDNA (P)
    K2b1a1a

United States of America England Wales Sweden Germany
    I don't know how accurate K36 is -- I'm inclined to think not especially, as it's pretty old and has limited samples.

That said, when I compare your grandmother to myself and my dad -- maybe?

I do have Swedish ancestry -- approximately 12.5%, so your grandmother's ancestry numbers would seem reasonable if I got them. (I currently have 10% Swedish, 6% Norwegian, although I think the Norwegian is some combo of my English and Swedish.)

My results look similar to your grandmother's, I think (this is FTDNA to better compare with my dad, but the Ancestry map was close to identical).

StephMap2.png

My dad does not have any Scandinavian ancestry (except to the extent it's part of his British Isles ancestry) that I know of, and here is his map:

DadMap.png
    Attached Images Attached Images

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to msmarjoribanks For This Useful Post:

euromutt (07-15-2020),  JonikW (07-14-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Omitted
    mtDNA (M)
    V3c

Italy Canada Quebec England Scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by msmarjoribanks View Post
    I don't know how accurate K36 is -- I'm inclined to think not especially, as it's pretty old and has limited samples.

That said, when I compare your grandmother to myself and my dad -- maybe?

I do have Swedish ancestry -- approximately 12.5%, so your grandmother's ancestry numbers would seem reasonable if I got them. (I currently have 10% Swedish, 6% Norwegian, although I think the Norwegian is some combo of my English and Swedish.)

My results look similar to your grandmother's, I think (this is FTDNA to better compare with my dad, but the Ancestry map was close to identical).

StephMap2.png

My dad does not have any Scandinavian ancestry (except to the extent it's part of his British Isles ancestry) that I know of, and here is his map:

DadMap.png
    Oh wow, your K36 results are not very different from my grandmothers at all. That’s incredible.
    I wish the calculator could/would be updated. I’m not sure how all that works but it would be interesting to see what an updated version would show in comparison to the older results.
    My paper trail: 50% Italian, 25% French Canadian, 12.5% English, 12.5% Scottish.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to euromutt For This Useful Post:

msmarjoribanks (07-16-2020)