Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 44

Thread: Why do I share almost my entire X chromosome with a d.relative/different ethnicgroup

  1. #1
    Banned
    Posts
    955
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Mixed Zanzibar
    Y-DNA (P)
    L1307
    mtDNA (M)
    L3b1a

    ZanzibarSultanate United Kingdom Uganda

    Why do I share almost my entire X chromosome with a d.relative/different ethnicgroup

    On FTDNA, I have an X-match that seems outta the ordinary. I've always felt that 23andme's sequencing of my data has been poor with the X making little sense...this match of mine:

    Mr XX: Centrimorgans 195.93 Matching SNPs:18,092

    On the graphic, we share the entirety of the X chromosome. The weirdest part is from his name and haplogroups (ydna=I, mtdna=A) we are no way near being the same ethnicity let alone related. 23andme has my X chromosome as being South Asian with the 0.1% trace Finnish they allocate to me found on the X chromosome (which is also strange considering my momz is mostly almost-no-steppe South Asian+ Tropical African). Have 23andme screwed up or is there more to this? I can post screenshots if anyone wants to have a gander.


    edit: the other X match I have also shares the same Y haplogroup as the match above, but his match is tiny [around 500snps].
    Last edited by ThaYamamoto; 07-15-2020 at 05:32 PM.

  2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ThaYamamoto For This Useful Post:

     crazyladybutterfly (01-04-2021),  CyrylBojarski (03-14-2021)

  3. #2
    Banned
    Posts
    955
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Mixed Zanzibar
    Y-DNA (P)
    L1307
    mtDNA (M)
    L3b1a

    ZanzibarSultanate United Kingdom Uganda
    Mods could you move this to the genealogy section where it has a higher chance of being answered? I really need some insight into this....

  4. #3
    Banned
    Posts
    955
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Mixed Zanzibar
    Y-DNA (P)
    L1307
    mtDNA (M)
    L3b1a

    ZanzibarSultanate United Kingdom Uganda
    Really, none yall able to help me out on this one?

  5. #4
    Registered Users
    Posts
    1,663
    Sex
    Location
    Calgary
    Ethnicity
    Anglo
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA (P)
    I2-S2361 < L801
    mtDNA (M)
    H2a2b(1)
    mtDNA (P)
    H3

    Canada
    Wouldn't you have to be actual cousins or something to match that closely? You don't match on any other chromosomes?

  6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Megalophias For This Useful Post:

     crazyladybutterfly (01-04-2021),  Revmac (07-16-2020),  Riverman (07-21-2020),  ThaYamamoto (07-16-2020)

  7. #5
    Registered Users
    Posts
    127
    Ethnicity
    Human
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-U106 (A2150)
    mtDNA (M)
    J1b1a1e
    mtDNA (P)
    H-T152c!

    United States of America United Kingdom Ireland Cornwall Norway Sweden
    It’s a rare thing I think, but even a brother and sister aren’t guaranteed to have an x match.

    So matching someone who isn’t a parent on the whole X chromosome seems strange to me at this point.

    Sorry I couldn’t be of more help.

  8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Revmac For This Useful Post:

     crazyladybutterfly (01-04-2021),  ThaYamamoto (07-16-2020)

  9. #6
    Registered Users
    Posts
    127
    Ethnicity
    Human
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-U106 (A2150)
    mtDNA (M)
    J1b1a1e
    mtDNA (P)
    H-T152c!

    United States of America United Kingdom Ireland Cornwall Norway Sweden
    Do you have any close linked relationships on ftdna?

    If you do you might be able to figure out which ancestors your x likely comes from and extrapolate by that whether your match has any possibility of being genealogically relevant.

    Another big question to ask is if you match on any other chromosomes like @Megalophias said.

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to Revmac For This Useful Post:

     ThaYamamoto (07-16-2020)

  11. #7
    Banned
    Posts
    955
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Mixed Zanzibar
    Y-DNA (P)
    L1307
    mtDNA (M)
    L3b1a

    ZanzibarSultanate United Kingdom Uganda
    Quote Originally Posted by Megalophias View Post
    Wouldn't you have to be actual cousins or something to match that closely? You don't match on any other chromosomes?
    He's a 5th-to-remote match...that's what so mad about this.


    Quote Originally Posted by Revmac View Post
    Itís a rare thing I think, but even a brother and sister arenít guaranteed to have an x match.

    So matching someone who isnít a parent on the whole X chromosome seems strange to me at this point.

    Sorry I couldnít be of more help.
    Quote Originally Posted by Revmac View Post
    Do you have any close linked relationships on ftdna?

    If you do you might be able to figure out which ancestors your x likely comes from and extrapolate by that whether your match has any possibility of being genealogically relevant.

    Another big question to ask is if you match on any other chromosomes like @Megalophias said.
    Unfortunately I only have third cousins onward on FTDNA and I've tried triangulating them and there's absolutely nothing in common with him. The fact we share an entire X chromosome but are of completely different ethnic groups, it makes no sense right? I've attached the proof following. My suspicions with 23andme basically straight juking me are seeming more and more correct. I have two other X matches but they share a tiny amount (500snps), both of them seem to be European but cuz its such a distant match, isn't that big a deal. It's just this guy. Sharing the entirety with someone who is a remote cousin...something is off here right?
    Attached Images Attached Images

  12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ThaYamamoto For This Useful Post:

     Megalophias (07-16-2020),  Revmac (07-16-2020)

  13. #8
    Registered Users
    Posts
    127
    Ethnicity
    Human
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-U106 (A2150)
    mtDNA (M)
    J1b1a1e
    mtDNA (P)
    H-T152c!

    United States of America United Kingdom Ireland Cornwall Norway Sweden
    Quote Originally Posted by ThaYamamoto View Post
    He's a 5th-to-remote match...that's what so mad about this.

    Unfortunately I only have third cousins onward on FTDNA and I've tried triangulating them and there's absolutely nothing in common with him. The fact we share an entire X chromosome but are of completely different ethnic groups, it makes no sense right? I've attached the proof following. My suspicions with 23andme basically straight juking me are seeming more and more correct. I have two other X matches but they share a tiny amount (500snps), both of them seem to be European but cuz its such a distant match, isn't that big a deal. It's just this guy. Sharing the entirety with someone who is a remote cousin...something is off here right?
    Yeah from that far out of a relationship it seems like you would both have to have had inherited 100% of your x from your mother’s—who have different mtDNA haplogroups—for several generations.

    Yeah it can still be tough even when you have close relatives who have tested and can link to.
    Last edited by Revmac; 07-16-2020 at 12:56 AM.

  14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Revmac For This Useful Post:

     Megalophias (07-16-2020),  ThaYamamoto (07-16-2020)

  15. #9
    Banned
    Posts
    955
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Mixed Zanzibar
    Y-DNA (P)
    L1307
    mtDNA (M)
    L3b1a

    ZanzibarSultanate United Kingdom Uganda
    Quote Originally Posted by Revmac View Post
    Yeah from that far out of a relationship it seems like you would both have to have had inherited 100% of your x from your mother’s—who have different mtDNA haplogroups—for several generations.

    Yeah it can still be tough even when you have close relatives who have tested and can link to.
    Thanks for responding man, I didn't even know it was that improbable. Wow. I mean my maternal haplogroup is L3b1a, making it even more ridiculous that we'd share the same ancestry. Crazy. If anyones interested, I tested with 23andme literally as they were implementing the v5, in fact my first raw data report read v4, when it changed and I hit them up about it, they denied it. I've had issues with this damn company since. This vindicates it. I'm sure they're good for the majority of folks, but they've juked me. Ancestry should come through in the next few days, if I X-match with this guy again wit their data, then I really don't know what's going on. Thanks @Megalophias as well, preciate it.

  16. The Following User Says Thank You to ThaYamamoto For This Useful Post:

     Revmac (07-16-2020)

  17. #10
    Registered Users
    Posts
    480
    Sex
    Location
    NL
    Ethnicity
    European
    Nationality
    Dutch
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b>U152>Z56>S1523*
    mtDNA (M)
    U5a1c

    Netherlands Netherlands Limburg France Wallonia Germany Italy Sicily
    Quote Originally Posted by ThaYamamoto View Post
    Thanks for responding man, I didn't even know it was that improbable. Wow. I mean my maternal haplogroup is L3b1a, making it even more ridiculous that we'd share the same ancestry. Crazy. If anyones interested, I tested with 23andme literally as they were implementing the v5, in fact my first raw data report read v4, when it changed and I hit them up about it, they denied it. I've had issues with this damn company since. This vindicates it. I'm sure they're good for the majority of folks, but they've juked me. Ancestry should come through in the next few days, if I X-match with this guy again wit their data, then I really don't know what's going on. Thanks @Megalophias as well, preciate it.
    I'm afraid Ancestry doesn't use the X Chromosome with DNA matches - nor would it matter, as we can't even see on what segment or even chromosome we match over there.

    Kae = Father // Ella = Mother // Pao = Maternal Grandmother:
    _____________________________________________

    Kae: 66.8 Dutch // 25.8 N+W French // 7.4 E German (@0.01632655)
    Ella: 92.9 Belgian // 4.0 W German // 3.1 W Sicilian (@0.01514940)
    Pao: 58.2 Belgian // 41.8 W German (@0.01636705)

  18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kellebel For This Useful Post:

     C J Wyatt III (07-16-2020),  Revmac (07-16-2020)

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-13-2018, 11:03 PM
  2. Relative's Caucasus
    By jpb in forum AncestryDNA
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-12-2016, 09:21 PM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-26-2016, 04:07 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •