Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Why do I have matches with full Ashkenazis in chromosomes that have only broadly euro

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    Polish
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a

Poland
    How many matches should i find to know do i have this ancestry or not? I found one person of Sephardic Jewish ancestry ( He has Jewish name and Spanish surname and his oracle is half spanish half sephardic) in my matches on Gedmatch but I did not find people which i matched with them through chromosome that have Italian and Spanish on 23andme
    But the weirddiest thing is that i matched with that Sephardi person on chromosome that does not have Italian or Spanish.

I have a lot Spanish surnames on Gedmatch, but I think there is also Spanish people in my matches, not necessarily Sephardi
    Last edited by CyrylBojarski; 07-17-2020 at 09:57 AM.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Arab

Quote Originally Posted by CyrylBojarski View Post
    How many matches should i find to know do i have this ancestry or not? I found one person of Sephardic Jewish ancestry ( He has Jewish name and Spanish surname and his oracle is half spanish half sephardic) in my matches on Gedmatch but I did not find people which i matched with them through chromosome that have Italian and Spanish on 23andme
    But the weirddiest thing is that i matched with that Sephardi person on chromosome that does not have Italian or Spanish.
    Have you checked your gg-grandmother's surname? In the abscence of DNA data from any of your parents, I would focus on genelogical research if I were you, as the hypothesized Jewish ancestor would have lived recently enough ago that you might just find something. There's no cut-off point for number of matches or anything like that where X number of matches = confirmed ancestry.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to andyouare For This Useful Post:

CyrylBojarski (07-17-2020),  passenger (07-17-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    Polish
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a

Poland
    Unfortunately no, recently my Mother phoned to my grandfather's sister and she does not know. Nobody knows. It is very sad. I only know that her name is very popular in Spain and Italy but nothing about surname...

Registered Users
    Sex

Quote Originally Posted by chocoholic View Post
    If he’s 1/16 Sephardic, it’s possible he wouldn’t get as much Sephardic or if any on FTDNA. He could have inherited less from that great great grandmother. But FTDNA’s algorithm isn’t infallible either. A lot of full Sephardim don’t get 100% Sephardic on that test, but other tests do show they’re 100% Sephardic Jewish. .
    How much Sephardic do they score on FTDNA? Which percentage do you get for Sephardic Jews on FTDNA?

Are there any comparative results for Sephardis from 23andme and FTDNA to check?
    Last edited by Riverman; 07-17-2020 at 10:30 AM.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    Polish
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a

Poland
    I noticed that sephardic category is often incorrect on ftdna. North African and Arabs get Sephardic without known Jewish ancestry. Yes there are also full Sephardi people who score Sephardi category, but there is also Sephardi who get just West Middle East or Asia Minor.
    I do not think FTDNA was accurate for me. I got 73% East Europe, 17% West Europe and 9% Asia Minor which completely does not make sense. Also I do not know known Western European ancestry.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by CyrylBojarski; 07-17-2020 at 10:50 AM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to CyrylBojarski For This Useful Post:

Riverman (07-17-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex

I noticed that sephardic category is often incorrect on ftdna. North African and Arabs get Sephardic without known Jewish ancestry. Yes there are also full Sephardi people who score Sephardi category, but there is also Sephardi who get just West Middle East or Asia Minor.
    I do not think FTDNA was accurate for me. I got 73% East Europe, 17% West Europe and 9% Asia Minor which completely does not make sense. Also I do not know known Western European ancestry.
    Going after your 23andme result, it looks like you are about 1/32 Sephardi to me. It could be more or less, but surely not more than 1/16 and no less than 1/64.

I got 73% East Europe, 17% West Europe and 9% Asia Minor which completely does not make sense.
    Imho Bulgarians have generally some percentages of Asia minor related ancestry, just compare with the European neighbours:

Bulgarian.jpg

If they add up your probably about 3 percent Sephardi plus the Iranian-related/Anatolian all Bulgarians have, they can come close to something like 9 percent, especially since their Anatolian category seems to be less restrictive. Its modern mixture based, not just like my run with clearly Near Eastern sources added to the usual Yamnaya:Barcin:WHG. The possible East Asian might be swallowed by this category as well, don't know if its included in the FTDNA Anatolian category, but it should be if that's modern Turks? Did you get some East Asian in a calculator or on G25?
    Last edited by Riverman; 07-17-2020 at 11:16 AM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Riverman For This Useful Post:

CyrylBojarski (07-17-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    Polish
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a

Poland
    if that is sephardi i am 1/16 or 1/32 because there is 4% Italian, Spanish + North African , maybe if great great grandmother was Jewish i could inherited not exactly 6% from her or my great great great parent was and i inherited a little bit more than i should

Registered Users
    Sex

if that is sephardi i am 1/16 or 1/32 because there is 4% Italian, Spanish + North African , maybe if great great grandmother was Jewish i could inherited not exactly 6% from her or my great great great parent was and i inherited a little bit more than i should
    If you are 1/16, you could be between 5-7 percent for your overall Sephardi ancestry, but to me it doesn't look like that. Try to compare with other Bulgarian's results which have no obvious Jewish admixture. How much of these ancestral components do they get on 23andme? I guess most get no Ashkenazi at all, only some Middle Eastern probably, but a lot get especially Italian too. Just check how you compare with them.

Edit: Just checked some Sephardi results and you can't say whether its 1/32 or 1/16, but in this range it should be. I found that result interesting to compare with you:
    https://anthrogenica.com/showthread....l=1#post219105

But my bet would still be about 1/32 SJ. Your Middle Eastern is very low for anything more I'd say.
    Last edited by Riverman; 07-17-2020 at 11:52 AM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Riverman For This Useful Post:

CyrylBojarski (07-17-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    Polish
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a

Poland
    Yes, you are right, maybe only 1/32

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    Polish
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a

Poland
    Ok, i found full Bulgarian 23andme result https://www.google.com/search?q=Bulg...d17d1pcUIPccaM
    Last edited by CyrylBojarski; 07-17-2020 at 02:14 PM.

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast