mtDNA (M)
    K1a
    Y-DNA (M)
    R-Y57
    mtDNA (P)
    H5'36

Germany Sweden

Slavic Heritage

Just thought that it would be interesting to share my Eastern European roots and see who else has Slavic heritage on here.

My maternal lineage is composed of Polish heritage and Eastern German heritage (that may well be Czech since my family on that side of my mt lineage all comes from a town bordering Czechia & Czech Republic showed up as an ancestral location for my 23andme EE composition). The Polish side also has roots in Silesia, and also possibly Palczyn. Unfortunately, I have little information on my maternal lineage as documents have been lost during rough times, so I am still tracing back my EE roots. If anyone else wants to share their Slavic heritage or can give some information on how to trace these roots back farther, feel free to do that.

Btw, if anyone is wondering, I'm basically 30% EE/Slavic genetically.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to btree For This Useful Post:

Mis (07-22-2020),  Táltos (07-26-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    Spanish
    Y-DNA (P)
    E-M183

Can you share how many matches you have from Eastern Europe on 23andme? It's in the 'ancestor birthplaces' tab. I have about 20 in Poland, and 10-15 each in Russia and Ukraine.

Bronze Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Swedish & Eastern German
    Y-DNA (P)
    I-Z74
    mtDNA (M)
    K1a
    Y-DNA (M)
    R-Y57
    mtDNA (P)
    H5'36

Germany Sweden
    Quote Originally Posted by Ibericus View Post
    Can you share how many matches you have from Eastern Europe on 23andme? It's in the 'ancestor birthplaces' tab. I have about 20 in Poland, and 10-15 each in Russia and Ukraine.
    I have 168 in Poland, 152 in Russia, 99 in Ukraine, 48 in Belarus, and 42 in Lithuania. The rest is a lower amount from South Eastern Countries. Quite interesting that I have quite a few in Russia and Ukraine. Most of these matches are from my father's side however, and he's Scandinavian, not Eastern European. I have only very few matches from my mother's side because her side hasn't tested as much as the dna relatives from my father's side or there are not that many living DNA relatives that are able to test and match with me.
    Last edited by btree; 07-22-2020 at 11:20 PM.
    23andme v5.9 - 29.3% Scandinavian, 16.7% French & German, 0.7% Finnish, 12.5% Broadly Northwestern European, 32% Eastern European, 5% Ashkenazi Jewish, 1.5% Italian, 1.9% Broadly European

Paper Tree - 43.75% Swedish, 37.5% Eastern German, 6.25% Jewish, 12.5% Polish

5. The Following User Says Thank You to btree For This Useful Post:

Ibericus (07-23-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    German
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b (> R-CTS4528)
    mtDNA (M)
    U5b2b3

Germany Imperial
    I´m Eastern German with 1/16 Polish ancestry and I do have 51.6% EE at 23andMe. Subtract 6% (absolute) because of that Polish proportion and there would be 45% (absolute) EE left. Fill these 6% (absolute) up with (my) Eastern German EE proportion, which is 45+% and that should be abt. 3% (absolute), which would mean 48% EE in total, if that mentioned 1/16 would have been Eastern German too.

"(...) and Eastern German heritage (that may well be Czech since my family on that side of my mt lineage all comes from a town bordering Czechia":

A German town bordering Czech republic is not indicative of Czech ancestry. Because Czechs did not live close to the border. But 3.5 millions of Germans did in what is now Czech Republic.

"& Czech Republic showed up as an ancestral location for my 23andme EE composition)":

After Eastern Germans regularly do get some 50% EE (+/- 20% absolute) and there are no "recent locations" for EE in Germany provided by 23andMe, such EE recent locations - if shown - will *always* show something else than the applicable area for Eastern Germans.
    Last edited by rothaer; 07-23-2020 at 09:04 PM.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rothaer For This Useful Post:

Aha (07-23-2020),  Riverman (07-23-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex

Subtract 6% (absolute) because of that Polish proportion and there would be 45% (absolute) EE left.
    That's quite high. Probably from an area where there was a higher proportion of local Slavic ancestry, like in Sorbian places.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    German
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b (> R-CTS4528)
    mtDNA (M)
    U5b2b3

Germany Imperial
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
    That's quite high. Probably from an area where there was a higher proportion of local Slavic ancestry, like in Sorbian places.
    Of course this is due to a respective proportion of Slavic ancestry. But there is no need for assuming more recent Slavic ancestry. I´ve no ancestors from the Sorabian area. I do have additional 1,5/16 ancestry from an area in West Prussia that was late Germanised (abt. 1830), but that´s just abt. 10% of ancestry. Other ancestors are hailing from Pomerania, Brandenburg, also east of the Oder river, Lower Silesia, Saxony, Saxony-Anhalt, Northern Bohemia (Germans), and just a small part (1/16) from SW Germany.

Slavic ancestry might well be from ostsiedlung times, i. e. esentially from 12th to 15th century, when the German new tribes (Neustämme) formed (like Pomeranians. Mecklenburgians, Upper Saxons, Silesians, Brandenburgians etc).
    Last edited by rothaer; 07-23-2020 at 08:31 PM.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rothaer For This Useful Post:

Aha (07-24-2020),  Riverman (07-23-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    German
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b (> R-CTS4528)
    mtDNA (M)
    U5b2b3

Germany Imperial
    In case you do consider my genetics are not representative for Eastern Germans here is my LM Genetics correlation map (based on Eurogenes K36 results). The darker the colour, the higher is my genetic proximity to the regional populations in question (pre 1945 settlement conditions).

https://imgur.com/dYS7H6t

12. The Following User Says Thank You to rothaer For This Useful Post:

Riverman (07-23-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex

Quote Originally Posted by rothaer View Post
    In case you do consider my genetics are not representative for Eastern Germans here is my LM Genetics correlation map (based on Eurogenes K36 results). The darker the colour, the higher is my genetic proximity to the regional populations in question (pre 1945 settlement conditions).

https://imgur.com/dYS7H6t
    There is quite some variation throughout Germany and there are surely Germans with a higher Slavic-like percentage, whether its just recent Slavic, or also Baltic and even more ancient ancestry for every individual case:
    East_German_1.jpg

This is of course no good estimation, but it shows the variation for Slavic-like ancestry in Germans.
    Last edited by Riverman; 07-23-2020 at 08:50 PM.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Riverman For This Useful Post:

btree (07-24-2020),  rothaer (07-23-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    German
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b (> R-CTS4528)
    mtDNA (M)
    U5b2b3

Germany Imperial
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
    There is quite some variation throughout Germany and there are surely Germans with a higher Slavic-like percentage, whether its just recent Slavic, or also Baltic and even more ancient ancestry for every individual case:
    East_German_1.jpg
    This is of course no good estimation, but it shows the variation for Slavic-like ancestry in Germans.
    Yes. But for sure this G25 examination gives some hints.
    As for differences among Germans: Please note where my genetic correlation is high. This implicates I´m close to the *average* of that populations and that in turn implicates my results basically are representative for these regions. The regional genetic differences within Germany are big, yes.
    Last edited by rothaer; 07-23-2020 at 09:05 PM.

Bronze Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Swedish & Eastern German
    Y-DNA (P)
    I-Z74
    mtDNA (M)
    K1a
    Y-DNA (M)
    R-Y57
    mtDNA (P)
    H5'36

Germany Sweden
    Quote Originally Posted by rothaer View Post
    I´m Eastern German with 1/16 Polish ancestry and I do have 51.6% EE at 23andMe. Subtract 6% (absolute) because of that Polish proportion and there would be 45% (absolute) EE left. Fill these 6% (absolute) up with (my) Eastern German EE proportion, which is 45+% and that should be abt. 3% (absolute), which would mean 48% EE in total, if that mentioned 1/16 would have been Eastern German too.

"(...) and Eastern German heritage (that may well be Czech since my family on that side of my mt lineage all comes from a town bordering Czechia":

A German town bordering Czech republic is not indicative of Czech ancestry. Because Czechs did not live close to the border. But 3.5 millions of Germans did in what is now Czech Republic.

"& Czech Republic showed up as an ancestral location for my 23andme EE composition)":

After Eastern Germans regularly do get some 50% EE (+/- 20% absolute) and there are no "recent locations" for EE in Germany provided by 23andMe, such EE recent locations - if shown - will *always* show something else than the applicable area for Eastern Germans.
    I know that I have Polish ancestry via paper tree, for my mother's dad's side. His family is not well documented but he was born in Cieszyn and his father was born in Głogów. From what we know so far, his mother was born in North-Eastern Germany but was adopted and her name was changed to Palczynski (im not sure if her name was Palczynski before the adoption or after however). So basically my grandpa is Silesian; and Silesia had German, Czech, and Polish influences so I am trying to see if there is some Czech background from that side as well since I know the German and Polish is there. I also got multiple regions of Poland for my 28.8% Eastern European and one was the Kuyavian Voivodeship which is actually where Palczyn is. Also, since all of my Eastern European comes from my mom, that means that she is at least 60% EE and that means that my grandpa would be close to the 80-90%.

And I don't think that my mom's mother has Czech origins, since I have a decent paper tree on her side of the family and it seems pretty deep German. Just thought it was interesting since she and her family all lived so close to the Czech border. Here is actually a graph of the percentages of people in Czechia per region that claim Czech nationality. Her family comes from Chemnitz btw if you want to see how close she is to a specific region on this map. (Graph is 1991)
    czechia.png
    Last edited by btree; 07-24-2020 at 06:53 AM.
    23andme v5.9 - 29.3% Scandinavian, 16.7% French & German, 0.7% Finnish, 12.5% Broadly Northwestern European, 32% Eastern European, 5% Ashkenazi Jewish, 1.5% Italian, 1.9% Broadly European

Paper Tree - 43.75% Swedish, 37.5% Eastern German, 6.25% Jewish, 12.5% Polish

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast