Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: is being vegetarian against nature or with nature?

Banned
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    West Uttar Pradesh
    Nationality
    India/UK

is being vegetarian against nature or with nature?

My dad is from a hindu family and my mom muslim. The two families could not be more opposite, my mom side heavy eaters, while my dad side mostly vegetarians only eating chicken or fish once in a while.

For me obviously I am meat eater, because being vegetrian trully restricts you to expolore so many amazing cusines in the world, but I also like Indian vege food mostly at home.

My question though is, what is more against nature? being vegetarian or non vegetarian?

Sometimes I trully felt sad for the cousins in my dad side of the family, who never tasted beef burger for example or even so many different types of meat kebabs

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Brahmin Mixed S India
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a1a1b2a1a (Y7+)
    mtDNA (M)
    M5a2a

United States of America India Myanmar
    To me, this seems like a weird question. Humans are naturally omnivorous and well adapted to absorbing nutrients from plant and animal sources. Historically, diet was constrained by the climatology and ecology of a given region, with wide differences in diet between dissimilar regions. These days, we have much greater freedom in choice of foodstuffs available, so it is possible to obtain adequate nutrition from a combination of plant and animal sources or plant sources alone. Neither diet type is against nature, as the cultural and technological climate we've created around food consumption and distribution supports both =/

3. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Varun R For This Useful Post:

Alain (08-17-2020),  Andour (08-16-2020),  evon (08-16-2020),  Kulin (07-22-2020),  Megalophias (07-23-2020),  MonkeyDLuffy (07-23-2020),  Onur Dincer (08-16-2020)

I have been vegan for several years, I am so strict on this issue, that I was struggling for several months with an issue related to my hair loss. Until I found a vegan product to take care of my hair , I did not apply it to my body, I do the same with my diet and so far I have felt many improvements in my state of health.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Ana2354 For This Useful Post:

Jatt1 (12-15-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    Australian
    Y-DNA (P)
    T-P322 (T1a2b1)
    mtDNA (M)
    H6a1

Australia Cornwall England Scotland Germany Poland
    Not sure what "nature" is.
    What have people mostly done in the past?
    They have eaten the foods that are available.
    But at some times, some very abrupt swings can be made.
    Some groups along the sea shore, for example, ate lots of shellfish at one time, as we can see from enormous mounds of shell middens.
    And then they stopped abruptly, and would only eat land-based forms of protein.
    So some of our habits are choices for no apparent biological reason.

Going way back, there is evidence that people we may think of as meat eaters seldom ate meat - perhaps mainly when an annual migration of animals came through.
    The rest of the time they ate root vegetables, grains, fruits and other plant parts.

I have direct and indirect evidence of the diets of most of my ancestral lines 100 years ago.
    One stated "we ate a lot of porridge [when he was young], fish and porridge".
    Others were miners and could not write. But visitors to the area recorded that miners there had large cottage gardens.
    And also that they ate a lot of porridge. (Made from grain.)
    When some bad years came through and the vegetables in their gardens rotted, they could not make a living and migrated elsewhere.
    A third group had been farming intensely on small acreages, with a patch of grain and lots of vegetables.
    Not sure about their animals, but they usually had a cow for milk.
    When they came to their new country, they were noted for the same methods at first.
    They produced a great surplus of vegetables which they sold to others.
    Not sure about other animals.
    Know someone from that family who preferred vegetarian.
    (Sources of vegetable protein then were not adequate to go vegan.)

Observations by others of diets over the centuries - even Western European ones - suggest that the level of meat consumption now common is usually much higher than historically over the last say 10 centuries.
    Numerical analysis of food sources into the future suggests that traditional animal protein sources will decline in quantity.
    While most people will choose to eat meat when they can, it will be less often than now.

There are always personal health reasons why one diet or another suits an individual.
    Recently, some sports people in my country have said they never felt so good eating a ..... diet.
    I have seen the gap filled by "vegan" (mostly) and "meat based".
    I have known people who have sensitivities to ingredients in various food items: some plant, some animal.

So, eat what keeps you healthy.
    Your individual nature is probably what matters most.
    In the past, people have usually eaten what was available - mostly plants.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Saetro For This Useful Post:

Andour (08-16-2020),  Onur Dincer (08-16-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    I-FT248579
    mtDNA (M)
    H5

United States of America Canada
    If you are vegan, just do not try and make your cat vegan. It does not work.

9. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to C J Wyatt III For This Useful Post:

Andour (08-16-2020),  Halgurd (08-17-2020),  jesus (08-16-2020),  Onur Dincer (08-16-2020),  Robert1 (12-17-2020),  trdbr1234 (12-14-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    "Arvern"
    Nationality
    French
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-L2-DF103/FGC4183
    mtDNA (M)
    H1bm

European Union France
    I'll risk a politically incorrect statement here (I occasionally allow myself to produce one!).

In the light of what I know of my five hundred years of rural ancestry, I tend to think that being a vegan is somehow a spoilt brat's privilege. Veganism is an option you consider only on a full stomach.

As a father of two and grandfather of four, I keep my fingers crossed that, if the planet keeps running on its collision course with disaster, no-one in my family will ever go hungry.

I strongly advise reading this short story: it's only three pages long, and tells a lot about the complacency that prevails in some circles - which can afford it:

http://www.eastoftheweb.com/short-st...aEngl794.shtml
    Immi uiros rios toutias rias

___ Paper trail since 1550 : 100% South Auvergne, France ___
    Distance: 1.510% : 50.0 German , 50.0 Spanish Castilla .... Distance: 1.453% : 50.4 Swiss German , 49.6 Spanish Barcelona
    Distance: 1.659% : 50.2 Scottish , 49.8 French Corsica...... Distance: 1.714% : 50.8 Italian Lombardy , 49.2 French Brittany
    Distance: 1.959% : 50.8 Irish , 49.2 Italian Tuscany ......... Distance: 2.189% : 50.8 Dutch , 49.2 Basque French

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Andour For This Useful Post:

C J Wyatt III (08-16-2020),  JerryS. (08-16-2020),  jesus (08-16-2020),  jstephan (08-17-2020),  Robert1 (12-17-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    North & Ionian Seas
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    I1 (P109)

England Italy Germany Scotland
    people who select a special diet (as in turn away from natural foods be they plants or animal based), have never really been hungry.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JerryS. For This Useful Post:

Afshar (08-17-2020),  jstephan (08-17-2020),  trdbr1234 (12-14-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Norwegian
    Nationality
    Norwegian
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-FT71931
    mtDNA (M)
    U5b1b1(T16192C)
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-U152
    mtDNA (P)
    H13a1a

By nature, do you mean genetics? As that is a question with many answers for different peoples, such as the example of lactose tolerance.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to evon For This Useful Post:

C J Wyatt III (08-16-2020),  Saetro (08-17-2020)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    English, Scottish & Irish
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    I-FT80854
    mtDNA (M)
    H1e2
    mtDNA (P)
    K1

England Scotland Ireland Germany Bayern Italy Two Sicilies France
    Quote Originally Posted by akash View Post
    My dad is from a hindu family and my mom muslim. The two families could not be more opposite, my mom side heavy eaters, while my dad side mostly vegetarians only eating chicken or fish once in a while.

For me obviously I am meat eater, because being vegetrian trully restricts you to expolore so many amazing cusines in the world, but I also like Indian vege food mostly at home.

My question though is, what is more against nature? being vegetarian or non vegetarian?

Sometimes I trully felt sad for the cousins in my dad side of the family, who never tasted beef burger for example or even so many different types of meat kebabs
    Judging from the history of humanity, I would think the only option that is against nature, is the one that says you should exclusively choose one over the other.
    Last edited by JMcB; 08-16-2020 at 09:49 PM.
    Paper Trail: 42.25% English, 31.25% Scottish, 12.5% Irish, 6.25% German, 6.25% Sicilian & 1.5% French. Or: 86% British Isles, 6.25% German, 6.25% Sicilian & 1.5% French.
    LDNA(c): 86.3% British Isles (48.6% English, 37.7% Scottish & Irish), 7.8% NW Germanic, 5.9% Europe South (Aegean 3.4%, Tuscany 1.3%, Sardinia 1.1%)
    BigY 700: I1-Z140 >I-F2642 >Y1966 >Y3649 >A13241 >Y3647 >A13248 (circa 620 AD) >A13242/YSEQ (circa 765 AD) >FT80854 (circa 1650 AD).

17. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to JMcB For This Useful Post:

Andour (08-16-2020),  C J Wyatt III (08-17-2020),  digital_noise (08-17-2020),  jstephan (08-17-2020),  Robert1 (12-17-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    E-BY14160
    mtDNA (M)
    J1c
    mtDNA (P)
    I1a1

Germany Italy Sweden Netherlands
    I think we were primarily vegetarians with occasional animal based protein when we could. I try to mimic this in my daily life to the best of my ability. I’ve stopped consuming factory farmed proteins. The meat I do consume is more expensive, tases better and is “healthier”, if I can say that? I also don’t eat it as much.

I don’t think we were designed to eat as much meat as we do and the fall out is health issues and pollution. There’s a large cattle farm on I-5, north of LA, maybe by Bakersfield area? Anyways, Driving past these farms is disgusting. It’s like a huge cow fart cloud, and the smell is repulsive.
    distance%=4.6465"
    Barcin_N,47.2
    Yamnaya_Samara,41.4
    WHG,10.6
    Ethiopia_4500BP,0.8

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to digital_noise For This Useful Post:

JMcB (08-17-2020),  Kirtan24 (08-17-2020)

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast