Sex
    Ethnicity
    Deccani Muslim
    Y-DNA (P)
    E-V22
    mtDNA (M)
    M2B

Central and South Indian Shaikhs

I have one grandparent who had the Shaikh Muslim surname. From what I've read, there tends to be two possible origins for Shaikhs. Either they are West Asian descendants with usually Arab origin claims or they are more recent Hindu converts. For the more recent converts, at least for Pakistan and North India, I've read that they were former Brahmins, Khastriyas, or Rajputs. It's a vague origin tbh. Does the same apply to those in states like Mararasthra, Karnataka, the Deccan or South? Would what be the most likely origin before converting? I have reason to be believe that grandparent was a more recent convert.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    India Andhra Kamma Telugu
    Nationality
    US
    Y-DNA (P)
    HM82 Z5890+CTS8144+
    mtDNA (M)
    U2a1a
    Y-DNA (M)
    HM69

United States of America India
    Quote Originally Posted by misanthropy View Post
    I have one grandparent who had the Shaikh Muslim surname. From what I've read, there tends to be two possible origins for Shaikhs. Either they are West Asian descendants with usually Arab origin claims or they are more recent Hindu converts. For the more recent converts, at least for Pakistan and North India, I've read that they were former Brahmins, Khastriyas, or Rajputs. It's a vague origin tbh. Does the same apply to those in states like Mararasthra, Karnataka, the Deccan or South? Would what be the most likely origin before converting? I have reason to be believe that grandparent was a more recent convert.
    Andhra there are some shrines that say belonged to Prophet Mohammed descendants two popular sufi saints Peerullah Hussaini and Arufullah Haussaini II like the Ameen peer durgah in Kadapa http://english.kadapa.info/ameenpeer...-pedda-dargah/
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSqdype9f3g

Auliyas Names of dargah as follows:

1. Hazarath Khwaja Syed Shah Peerulluah Mohammed mohammedul Hussaini Chisti-ul-khadari
    2. Hazarath Khwaja Syed Shah Aarifulluah Mohammed mohammedul Hussaini Chisti-ul-khadari
    3. Hazrath Ameen Peer saab Dargah

4.Gesudaraz dargah in almospet, Kadapa
    Y: H-M69 -> H-M82 -> SK1225 -> H-Z5888 -> H-Z5890 -> H-CTS8144 [CTS8144/PF1741/M5498] -> Z34531 (H1a1a4b3b1a8~)
    found 2875 BCE -> Jiroft/IVC Periphery 11459 Shahr-i-Sokte BA2
    mtDNA:U2a1a

G25 Ancients Dist 0.79 IND_Roopkund_A 51.05 IRN_Shahr_I_Sokhta_BA2 46.64 MAR_Iberomaurusian2.04PAK_Katelai_IA0.19 TKM_Gonur2_BA 0.08

Lactose Persistence rs3213871 rs4988243 rs4988183 rs3769005 rs2236783
    found -> DA125, Kangju

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Deccani Muslim
    Y-DNA (P)
    E-V22
    mtDNA (M)
    M2B

Quote Originally Posted by tipirneni View Post
    Andhra there are some shrines that say belonged to Prophet Mohammed descendants two popular sufi saints Peerullah Hussaini and Arufullah Haussaini II like the Ameen peer durgah in Kadapa http://english.kadapa.info/ameenpeer...-pedda-dargah/
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSqdype9f3g
    This is not from my side with Syed descent, this is from my paternal side. This grandparent I heard was from
    Bidar, Karnataka originally

Auliyas Names of dargah as follows:

1. Hazarath Khwaja Syed Shah Peerulluah Mohammed mohammedul Hussaini Chisti-ul-khadari
    2. Hazarath Khwaja Syed Shah Aarifulluah Mohammed mohammedul Hussaini Chisti-ul-khadari
    3. Hazrath Ameen Peer saab Dargah

4.Gesudaraz dargah in almospet, Kadapa
    This is not from the side with the Syed descent, this is from my paternal side. This grandparent was originally from Bidar, Karnataka.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to misanthropy For This Useful Post:

tipirneni (07-24-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Punjabi (Ramgarhia)
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a-Y7 > Y2568*
    mtDNA (M)
    M3a2
    Y-DNA (M)
    L1a2
    mtDNA (P)
    U2b2

India Punjab Canada Sikh Empire Nishan Sahib
    Quote Originally Posted by misanthropy View Post
    In Punjab atleast I'm aware Sheikh is used by Khatri converts. But in past someone mentioned Nais (Barbers) have started using sheikh as well.
    Panjab, پنجابی, ਫਤਿਹll

I miss Harambe everyday.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MonkeyDLuffy For This Useful Post:

Ahmed Ali (07-24-2020),  misanthropy (07-24-2020),  Shujauddin (07-24-2020)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Punjabi Khatri/J&K/Multan
    Nationality
    India
    Y-DNA (P)
    J2b2a
    mtDNA (M)
    U2b

India United States of America India Punjab Jammu and Kashmir
    Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyDLuffy View Post
    In Punjab atleast I'm aware Sheikh is used by Khatri converts. But in past someone mentioned Nais (Barbers) have started using sheikh as well.
    Also used by some Brahmin converts as well. I would say they are predominantly Khatri but any caste did it.

I can check some reference from the late 18th century to see who else commonly did it.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to agent_lime For This Useful Post:

misanthropy (07-24-2020)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Nationality
    India
    Y-DNA (P)
    J2b2a
    mtDNA (M)
    U2b

Pulled up some references. So reading through some of this it seems like that late 18th century it was any high caste. By the mid 19th Century it becomes more Khatri centrist. Makes sense almost anyone who didn't move converted to Islam. I have zero Muslim relatives in India but quite a few in the 4th generation in Pakistan(who are Sheikhs).

Last edited by agent_lime; 07-24-2020 at 07:31 AM.

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to agent_lime For This Useful Post:

discreetmaverick (07-24-2020),  misanthropy (07-24-2020),  MonkeyDLuffy (07-24-2020),  Rahuls77 (07-24-2020),  thejkhan (07-24-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Bihari, UPite and Bengali
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA (P)
    O2a2b1a1
    mtDNA (M)
    M6a1a
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1a1a-Z93, R-M560

India Pakistan United Kingdom
    Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyDLuffy View Post
    What about Qassabs (butchers)?, are Qureshis similar?
    Last edited by deuterium_1; 07-24-2020 at 12:09 PM.

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a

Pakistan Azad Kashmir India
    Quote Originally Posted by agent_lime View Post
    Pulled up some references. So reading through some of this it seems like that late 18th century it was any high caste. By the mid 19th Century it becomes more Khatri centrist. Makes sense almost anyone who didn't move converted to Islam. I have zero Muslim relatives in India but quite a few in the 4th generation in Pakistan(who are Sheikhs).

Is the text referring to FM Ayub Khan from a writing of Khushwant Singh?
    The only other person who might have written it, that I can think of, is Kuldeep Nayyar, which seems a little less likely, because Manzur Qadir was KS' acquaintance.

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a

Pakistan Azad Kashmir India
    Quote Originally Posted by agent_lime View Post
    Also used by some Brahmin converts as well. I would say they are predominantly Khatri but any caste did it.

I can check some reference from the late 18th century to see who else commonly did it.
    Two of my Great-Grandfather's cousins had converted to Islam and would use Sheikh. If I get a chance to visit Pakistan again, I shall trace their descendants. All correspondence between the family's branches ceased after my GGF passed away in 1962. They came from a village very close to Sukho, in Gujar Khan.

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Rahuls77 For This Useful Post:

agent_lime (07-24-2020),  Amber29 (07-24-2020),  discreetmaverick (07-24-2020),  MonkeyDLuffy (07-24-2020),  subzero85 (07-24-2020)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Nationality
    India
    Y-DNA (P)
    J2b2a
    mtDNA (M)
    U2b

Quote Originally Posted by Rahuls77 View Post
    Is the text referring to FM Ayub Khan from a writing of Khushwant Singh?
    The only other person who might have written it, that I can think of, is Kuldeep Nayyar, which seems a little less likely, because Manzur Qadir was KS' acquaintance.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rajeshwar_Dayal

https://www.amazon.in/Life-Our-Times.../dp/0863117988

This is the book.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to agent_lime For This Useful Post:

Rahuls77 (07-24-2020)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast