Ismaili
    Asharis

Registered Users
    Ethnicity
    Sindhi
    Nationality
    American

Quote Originally Posted by Kulin View Post
    Sheikhs in South Asia are generally considered native upper caste converts from Islam. It is a misconception that "sheikh" are related in any way to Arabs.

In Sindh, the bulk of the Muslim population converted at the tribe level, so a person with the last name of "Sheikh" almost always refers either to a recent convert (within the last 300 years) or specific clans/families that converted individually rather than as part of the tribe/community.

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to heksindhi For This Useful Post:

agent_lime (07-24-2020),  MonkeyDLuffy (07-24-2020),  parasar (07-26-2020),  Sapporo (07-25-2020)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a

Pakistan Azad Kashmir India
    Quote Originally Posted by heksindhi View Post
    In Sindh, the bulk of the Muslim population converted at the tribe level, so a person with the last name of "Sheikh" almost always refers either to a recent convert (within the last 300 years) or specific clans/families that converted individually rather than as part of the tribe/community.
    The finance advisor(and former Finance Minister), Abdul Hafeez Shaikh is a Sindhi, right? He was born in Jacobabad.

Sex
    Ethnicity
    Bengali
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA (P)
    J2b2a
    mtDNA (M)
    A11-a*
    mtDNA (P)
    M30g

Canada Bangladesh Jammu and Kashmir India Pakistan Sri Lanka
    Nobody uses these last names in those aforementioned regions either, for the most part. I meant generally as an identification with a greater community, signifying local upper caste descent, as opposed to Mughal/Turk, Pathan and Syed, the other 3 "Ashraf" Muslim communities.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kulin For This Useful Post:

discreetmaverick (07-25-2020),  misanthropy (07-24-2020),  Sapporo (07-25-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Deccani Muslim
    Y-DNA (P)
    E-V22
    mtDNA (M)
    M2B

I found it interesting because I heard my grandmother wasn't really practicing - didn't know how to pray and read basic surahs that even kids know. In fact, some of the rituals practiced such as to ward off evil eye seemingly looked to be inspired by Hindu rituals (not to be confused with rituals done by Sufi Pirs). This is from what I've heard

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    trying to figure out
    Nationality
    american/pakistani

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyDLuffy View Post
    I have no idea about that. My only knowledge about qureshis comes from Gangs of wasseypur, where qureshi dude is a butcher lol
    that movie was something

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Punjabi
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a-Y7 > Y2568*
    mtDNA (M)
    M3a2
    Y-DNA (M)
    L1a2
    mtDNA (P)
    U2b2

India Punjab Canada Sikh Empire Nishan Sahib
    Quote Originally Posted by karnalIroh View Post
    that movie was something
    It was a masterpiece.
    Panjab, پنجابی, ਫਤਿਹll

10. The Following User Says Thank You to MonkeyDLuffy For This Useful Post:

karnalIroh (07-25-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Punjabi

A unique culture shift happend in punjab which people are very ignorant of and its quite fascinating and ironic . Despite many claims from indians, actually punjabi society has reverted to new traditional "indic" punjabiism from old "persianatiation" and "muslimisation" society in last 200 to 300 years

in ancient times when tribal population use to convert , they used to rename their names by adding khan at the end . All major muslim jat tribes in few generation back used to have khan . i know many families of bajwa, virks , waraich, , chattha , ranjha and many other who still use khan title even in my own village from my tribe we have few families who still use khan surname and you can find it in folklore too like mirza jutt real name was mirza khan son of Wanjhal Khan (kharal jutt) and Sahiban was the daughter of Mahni Khan (khewa sials jats) and to be wedded to Taha Khan (chadar jatt) and mirza was killed by dara khan (chadar jatt) and so on but you will see, now they rarely use khan title and mostly use chaudhry.

so what happend?

what my grandfather told me is that my parpardada (great great grandfather) also use to have khan surname (kuna khan) but they replaced khan with chaudry and became chaudry kuna and that exactly what punjabi agriculture peasants tribes did and now even most arain use chaudry title and its not just titles but cultural shift too.

so my point is overall muslim punjabi society initially started as Sufi influenced persianised society with converted muslims , hybrid sufiised hindu muslims a.k.a sultanis but now its becoming more and more mature and unified in a unique "indic" identity and culture and those muslim titles are diminishing
    Last edited by gudar; 07-25-2020 at 06:20 AM.

12. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to gudar For This Useful Post:

agent_lime (07-25-2020),  discreetmaverick (07-25-2020),  karnalIroh (07-25-2020),  misanthropy (07-25-2020),  MonkeyDLuffy (07-25-2020),  Rahuls77 (07-25-2020),  Sapporo (07-25-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    trying to figure out
    Nationality
    american/pakistani

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyDLuffy View Post
    It was a masterpiece.
    "baab ka dada ka bhai ka ...."

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to karnalIroh For This Useful Post:

Kirtan24 (07-30-2020),  MonkeyDLuffy (07-25-2020)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123