Thread: Syed Haplogoup

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Punjabi

Syed Haplogoup

Hello

I would like to know what kind of Haplogroup test I should take in order to confirm or reject Syed lineage? I guess that FTDNA would be good but I really want to see my maternal line too.

Banned
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    West Uttar Pradesh
    Nationality
    India/UK

Quote Originally Posted by Taqi_G View Post
    Hello

I would like to know what kind of Haplogroup test I should take in order to confirm or reject Syed lineage? I guess that FTDNA would be good but I really want to see my maternal line too.
    99% of south asian syeds are fake. I lived in Saudi for 15 years, and nobody claims to be a syed there despite being from Prophet's land. Not sure why people so far away in Pakistan and India think they are syeds, there was no mass migration of arabs to the region ever.

In anycase haplogroup J will probably link you do to arabs, but obviously you will need substantial Arab admixture to be real Syed, which is probably not possible

3. The Following User Says Thank You to akash For This Useful Post:

drobbah (07-24-2020)

Registered Users
    Y-DNA (P)
    H-Z4417
    mtDNA (M)
    M3d

Quote Originally Posted by akash View Post

but obviously you will need substantial Arab admixture to be real Syed, which is probably not possible
    I believe OP is talking about paternal line Syed ancestry - so, no, he does not need substantial Arab admixture to claim that, just needs to have his ydna figured out. Even then, we don't know for certain which clade represents Syed, but J-L859 looks like the best candidate so far.

Taqi_G, you can go for ancestry test with 23andme, you will get to know both your ydna and mtdna. Then you can test further with FGC or FTDNA if your ydna is J1.

Banned
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    West Uttar Pradesh
    Nationality
    India/UK

Quote Originally Posted by thejkhan View Post
    I believe OP is talking about paternal line Syed ancestry - so, no, he does not need substantial Arab admixture to claim that, just needs to have his ydna figured out. Even then, we don't know for certain which clade represents Syed, but J-L859 looks like the best candidate so far.

Taqi_G, you can go for ancestry test with 23andme, you will get to know both your ydna and mtdna. Then you can test further with FGC or FTDNA if your ydna is J1.
    Yes but how many real syed there have been pakistan India? We dont even know the prophets haplogroup. I have lived in the arab world, there is no syed obsession there at all, only in regions that are very far away from Arabia

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Awadhi
    Y-DNA (P)
    J2- (J-Z6082)
    mtDNA (M)
    M3d1a

Let me break out the popcorn.