Thread: Montenegrin Stature

Registered Users
    Sex

Montenegrin Stature

Along with my interest in the history, culture and origins of the people of Montenegro I am also interested in the physical anthropology of Montenegrins. I have read that in terms of stature Montenegrin males/men are among the tallest people in the world. It seems like it may be possible that over the centuries there was some selection for taller stature among the Montenegrin tribes. A tall man was preferred and this may relate to the fact that for a long time Montenegro was basically a warrior society.

Since Montenegrin men are known to be among the tallest people in the world on average I am curious about variation as well. Has anyone here ever seen any Montenegrin men that were under 170 cm in height?

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    J-M67

Serbia Croatia
    Quote Originally Posted by J Man View Post
    Along with my interest in the history, culture and origins of the people of Montenegro I am also interested in the physical anthropology of Montenegrins. I have read that in terms of stature Montenegrin males/men are among the tallest people in the world. It seems like it may be possible that over the centuries there was some selection for taller stature among the Montenegrin tribes. A tall man was preferred and this may relate to the fact that for a long time Montenegro was basically a warrior society.

Since Montenegrin men are known to be among the tallest people in the world on average I am curious about variation as well. Has anyone here ever seen any Montenegrin men that were under 170 cm in height?
    in this study, they range roughly from 160-200. see the height ranges on page 3:
    https://www.mjssm.me/clanci/MJSSM_Ma...17_Popovic.pdf

3. The Following User Says Thank You to slavomir For This Useful Post:

J Man (07-24-2020)

Registered Users
    Ethnicity
    Dinaric
    Y-DNA (P)
    I-Y7627
    mtDNA (M)
    H5c

Bosnia and Herzegovina
    Who cares about average height, it's only a difference of an inch or two with Europeans. That's not something so significant that it should be a big deal. Dinaric people are some of the tallest in the world, true. But compared to like an average Ukrainian or Polak (for example) it's probably just a small difference. It's not like they're giants compared to the average person in the world. And I don't trust these average estimates 100% how many people are actually measured in such studies relative to population size and if not that many people are measured there could be an inaccurate sample bias.
    And still it's only a going to be a difference of about an inch or two between the averages which in my opinion isn't important enough to really matter.

I'd be more interested in reach measurements to be honest rather than height. Cuz if you get in a fight having a reach advantage is more important than height advantage and the taller person doesn't always have a longer reach, unless they're much taller then probably yeah.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to oz For This Useful Post:

Maleschreiber (07-27-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex

Quote Originally Posted by slavomir View Post
    in this study, they range roughly from 160-200. see the height ranges on page 3:
    https://www.mjssm.me/clanci/MJSSM_Ma...17_Popovic.pdf
    Yes I have seen that study before it seems like a good one. Have you ever been to Montenegro yourself?