Y-DNA (P)
    J2b2a
    mtDNA (M)
    A11-a*
    mtDNA (P)
    M30g

Canada Bangladesh Jammu and Kashmir India Pakistan Sri Lanka
    Quote Originally Posted by Songtsen View Post
    Yep. I guess I am the first Tibetan of this forum. Feel free to ask anything in regards to Inner Asia, Central Asia and Southwest/Northwest China... I will try my best to answer.
    Kinda offtopic here, but what do Tibetans thinks of Bengalis assuming people know who they are? I've heard from some guy who visited Tibet (Tsang) say that some locals talk about Atisha after they found out his origin. A few years back, the Chinese government transferred a part of his ashes to be kept at a temple close to his birthplace. Of course there's a large Tibetan community in Kolkata as well as Bangalore (where there's lots of Bengalis).

Anyway, welcome here. I have a very Tibetan specific mtdna as you can see.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Kulin For This Useful Post:

Alain (08-02-2020),  deuterium_1 (08-01-2020),  discreetmaverick (08-02-2020),  khanabadoshi (08-01-2020),  pakistani (08-03-2020),  Rahuls77 (08-01-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Omitted

Quote Originally Posted by Kulin View Post
    Kinda offtopic here, but what do Tibetans thinks of Bengalis assuming people know who they are? I've heard from some guy who visited Tibet (Tsang) say that some locals talk about Atisha after they found out his origin. A few years back, the Chinese government transferred a part of his ashes to be kept at a temple close to his birthplace. Of course there's a large Tibetan community in Kolkata as well as Bangalore (where there's lots of Bengalis).

Atisha is very famous and well known. Guru Atishas importance cannot be overstated. Without him Tibetans and by extension Mongols would almost certainly be muslim now. Budhism was almost finished as an organised religion in Tibet after the fragmentation of the Tibetan empire. The only Buddhist Kingdom was the Guge and it was under siege from the Karluk Turks.

During the late eleventh century the Guge and its ally the Budhdist Uyghurs had lost a great war against the Karluk Turks and Guge king was a prisoner of the Karluks. It was at this time Guru Atisha came to Guge and helped revive the Dharma. Guge was on a precipatate and could easily have become muslim like the Uyghurs became in Xinjiang.

Guge kingdom revived and became a patron for missionary monks who travelled all across the Tibetan plateau. By 14th century Tibet was a majority Buddhist nation.In short Tibetan people are Buddhist because of Guru Atisha and Guge kingdom.

Bengal (Pala) is well known among educated Tibetans. Its known as the birth place of Guru Atisha and the famous Buddhist university Vikramashila. Only Guru Padmasambhava and Nalanda univeristy can be compared as equal in prestige to the Guru Atisha and Vikramshilla university.
    Last edited by Songtsen; 08-01-2020 at 05:05 PM.

4. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Songtsen For This Useful Post:

agent_lime (08-01-2020),  Alain (08-02-2020),  deuterium_1 (08-01-2020),  discreetmaverick (08-02-2020),  FrostAssassin0701 (08-01-2020),  khanabadoshi (08-01-2020),  Kirtan24 (08-01-2020),  Kulin (08-01-2020),  Megalophias (08-01-2020),  MonkeyDLuffy (08-01-2020),  parasar (08-01-2020),  Rahuls77 (08-01-2020),  Ryukendo (08-01-2020),  TuaMan (08-03-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Bihari, UPite and Bengali
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA (P)
    O2a2b1a1
    mtDNA (M)
    M6a1a
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1a1a-Z93, R-M560

India Pakistan United Kingdom

I apparently have Tibeto-Burmese Y-DNA too.

Didn't the Tibetan Empire stretch up to Kashmir, including Ladakh?. Also I have seen maps showing Bengal as part of the Tibetan Empire, is much known about their rule in that region?:

There should be a Tibetan thread
    Last edited by deuterium_1; 08-01-2020 at 07:25 PM.

6. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to deuterium_1 For This Useful Post:

Alain (08-02-2020),  discreetmaverick (08-02-2020),  FrostAssassin0701 (08-01-2020),  khanabadoshi (08-01-2020),  Kulin (08-01-2020),  Megalophias (08-01-2020),  Rahuls77 (08-01-2020)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a

Pakistan Azad Kashmir India
    Quote Originally Posted by deuterium_1 View Post

It should be in Central Asian Subforum, isn't it?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Rahuls77 For This Useful Post:

deuterium_1 (08-01-2020)

Sex
    Ethnicity
    Bengali
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA (P)
    J2b2a
    mtDNA (M)
    A11-a*
    mtDNA (P)
    M30g

Canada Bangladesh Jammu and Kashmir India Pakistan Sri Lanka
    Quote Originally Posted by deuterium_1 View Post

Didn't the Tibetan Empire stretch up to Kashmir, including Ladakh?. Also I have seen maps showing Bengal as part of the Tibetan Empire, is much known about their rule in that region?:

Agreed, we should make one.

Yes, the Tibetan empire included all of Kashmir and a lot of other peripheral regions. Bengal wasn't really ruled or conquered by a foreign power. The first to do so was the Turk Bakhtiyar Khalji in the 13th century (who coincidentally also unsuccessfully tried to conquer Tibet through the Assam-Yunnan route).

My mtdna A11 is generally mainly found in the Tibetan plateau, as well as peripheral regions. >1% in Bengal and South Asia in general outside of obviously Tibetan regions. Is your Y dna from your Bengali side?

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kulin For This Useful Post:

deuterium_1 (08-01-2020),  discreetmaverick (08-02-2020),  parasar (08-01-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA (P)
    O2a2b1a1
    mtDNA (M)
    M6a1a
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1a1a-Z93, R-M560

Yes, the Tibetan empire included all of Kashmir and a lot of other peripheral regions. Bengal wasn't really ruled or conquered by a foreign power. The first to do so was the Turk Bakhtiyar Khalji in the 13th century (who coincidentally also unsuccessfully tried to conquer Tibet through the Assam-Yunnan route).

My mtdna A11 is generally mainly found in the Tibetan plateau, as well as peripheral regions. >1% in Bengal and South Asia in general outside of obviously Tibetan regions. Is your Y dna from your Bengali side?
    Yes, my Y-DNA is from my Bengali side.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to deuterium_1 For This Useful Post:

Adam A (08-02-2020),  discreetmaverick (08-02-2020),  Kulin (08-01-2020),  Rahuls77 (08-01-2020)

Gold Class Member

On of my close relatives is mtDNA A4

https://academic.oup.com/mbe/article/30/8/1761/1015497
    Genetic Evidence of Paleolithic Colonization and Neolithic Expansion of Modern Humans on the Tibetan Plateau

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to parasar For This Useful Post:

deuterium_1 (08-02-2020),  discreetmaverick (08-02-2020),  Kulin (08-01-2020),  ThaYamamoto (08-02-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA (P)
    O2a2b1a1
    mtDNA (M)
    M6a1a
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1a1a-Z93, R-M560

Quote Originally Posted by parasar View Post
    On of my close relatives is mtDNA A4

https://academic.oup.com/mbe/article/30/8/1761/1015497
    Genetic Evidence of Paleolithic Colonization and Neolithic Expansion of Modern Humans on the Tibetan Plateau
    Are these clades found among Ladakhis?

Gold Class Member

Quote Originally Posted by Songtsen View Post
    Atisha is very famous and well known. Guru Atishas importance cannot be overstated. Without him Tibetans and by extension Mongols would almost certainly be muslim now. Budhism was almost finished as an organised religion in Tibet after the fragmentation of the Tibetan empire. The only Buddhist Kingdom was the Guge and it was under siege from the Karluk Turks.

During the late eleventh century the Guge and its ally the Budhdist Uyghurs had lost a great war against the Karluk Turks and Guge king was a prisoner of the Karluks. It was at this time Guru Atisha came to Guge and helped revive the Dharma. Guge was on a precipatate and could easily have become muslim like the Uyghurs became in Xinjiang.

Guge kingdom revived and became a patron for missionary monks who travelled all across the Tibetan plateau. By 14th century Tibet was a majority Buddhist nation.In short Tibetan people are Buddhist because of Guru Atisha and Guge kingdom.

Bengal (Pala) is well known among educated Tibetans. Its known as the birth place of Guru Atisha and the famous Buddhist university Vikramashila. Only Guru Padmasambhava and Nalanda univeristy can be compared as equal in prestige to the Guru Atisha and Vikramshilla university.
    Technically Vikramshila is now in the modern state of Bihar. Bihar was essentially named Bihar by Ibn Bakhtiar due to the number of universities/libraries there - Vikramshila, Nalanda, and Odantpuri (established by Gopal) in particular.
    Eastern Bihar was part of Ang desh, and Ang-Bang are often used as a combo - so yes one could historically call it Bangal. The Pals were from the Pundir (Pundravardhana) region of Bangal and established their capital in Monghyr (Mugdagir).

In part of the British period too Bangal included modern Bihar.

Prior to the British, even as far as our village it was Bangal - our land grant was from the Bangal Pathan chief Nasrat Shah in ~1530. There is a theory that our caste name Bhumihar dates to that time when the Babhans and Pathans lost to the Turko-Mongols. Babar's conquest of Hindustan was near complete after the battle on Ghaghar river. The Pathans did recover under the Surs of Rohtas, but only for a while.

An interesting read on that period:
    "So who are the sons of Babur? North Indian Muslims? Baburnama, which has kept me busy many a lazy afternoons and the period between dinner and a good night sleep, has helped conclusively prove that I am not Babur's Aulad. Page 387 of the The Baburnama translated and edited by Wheeler M Thackston says 'Dham Deo with four thousand' (troops) along with Rana Sanga fought against the Mughals in the battle of Khanwa (a place near Agra) in 1527.
    The Mughals were victorious and the Rajput army was scattered. Dham Deo and his elder brother Kam Deo came down to Ghazipur with their families and followers. According to a book, Evolution and Spatial Organization of Clan Settlement by S H Ansari the Sakharwar Rajputs of Gahmar (one of biggest villages in Asia situated on the bank of river Ganga) emerged from Dham Deo and Bhumihars and Kamsar Pathans emerged from Kam Deo.
    Five centuries later all the three clans continue to co-exist in Ghazipur (between Zamania and Gahmar) but not many are aware of their close historical lineage. In the days when farming was still bereft of tractors and fertilisers, these 'brothers' used to share the cattle for ploughing and other agricultural activities.
    A school established by a Kamsar Pathan at Dildarnagar, which is the main market town for the villages inhabited by the three clans, is more popularly called 'Rajput'. It took me some time to realise that it reflected the origin of my forefathers. Thus Kamsar Pathans (with the surname Khan) have no qualms in calling their school 'Rajput.'"
    During a train journey to Ghazipur in 2006, I met an elderly man retired from government service. He was from the Bhumihar clan (closer to me than the Rajputs of Gahmar) and told me that since our 'grandfather' was the elder brother, he gave Dham Deo the more fertile part of the land in a fatherly gesture.
    Though I have spent all my life in Mumbai and am now based in London it perhaps makes no difference being a Babur Ki Aulad or progeny of the Rajputs 500 years later. That said I am glad to know the identity of my forefathers."
    http://urdufigures.blogspot.com/2010...ad-who-me.html
    Last edited by parasar; 08-02-2020 at 06:15 PM. Reason: typo

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to parasar For This Useful Post:

Alain (08-02-2020),  deuterium_1 (08-02-2020),  discreetmaverick (08-02-2020),  Kulin (08-02-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA (P)
    O2a2b1a1
    mtDNA (M)
    M6a1a
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1a1a-Z93, R-M560

Quote Originally Posted by parasar View Post
    Technically Vikramshila is now in the modern state of Bihar. Bihar was essentially named Bihar by Ibn Bakhtiar due to the number of universities/libraries there - Vikramshila, Nalanda, and Odantpuri (established by Gopal) in particular.
    Eastern Bihar was part of Ang desh, and Ang-Bang are often used as a combo - so yes one could historically call it Bangal. The Pals were from the Pundir (Pundravardhana) region of Bangal and established their capital in Monghyr (Mugdagir).

In part of the British period too Bangal included modern Bihar.

Prior to the British, even as far as our village it was Bangal - our land grant was from the Bangal Pathan chief Nasrat Shah in ~1530. There is a theory that our caste name Bhumihar dates to that time when the Babhans and Pathans lost to the Turko-Mongols. Babar's conquest of Hindustan was near complete after the battle on Ghaghar river. The Pathans did recover under the Surs of Rohtas, but only for a while.

An interesting read on that period:
    "So who are the sons of Babur? North Indian Muslims? Baburnama, which has kept me busy many a lazy afternoons and the period between dinner and a good night sleep, has helped conclusively prove that I am not Babur's Aulad. Page 387 of the The Baburnama translated and edited by Wheeler M Thackston says 'Dham Deo with four thousand' (troops) along with Rana Sanga fought against the Mughals in the battle of Khanwa (a place near Agra) in 1527.
    The Mughals were victorious and the Rajput army was scattered. Dham Deo and his elder brother Kam Deo came down to Ghazipur with their families and followers. According to a book, Evolution and Spatial Organization of Clan Settlement by S H Ansari the Sakharwar Rajputs of Gahmar (one of biggest villages in Asia situated on the bank of river Ganga) emerged from Dham Deo and Bhumihars and Kamsar Pathans emerged from Kam Deo.
    Five centuries later all the three clans continue to co-exist in Ghazipur (between Zamania and Gahmar) but not many are aware of their close historical lineage. In the days when farming was still bereft of tractors and fertilisers, these 'brothers' used to share the cattle for ploughing and other agricultural activities.
    A school established by a Kamsar Pathan at Dildarnagar, which is the main market town for the villages inhabited by the three clans, is more popularly called 'Rajput'. It took me some time to realise that it reflected the origin of my forefathers. Thus Kamsar Pathans (with the surname Khan) have no qualms in calling their school 'Rajput.'"
    During a train journey to Ghazipur in 2006, I met an elderly man retired from government service. He was from the Bhumihar clan (closer to me than the Rajputs of Gahmar) and told me that since our 'grandfather' was the elder brother, he gave Dham Deo the more fertile part of the land in a fatherly gesture.
    Though I have spent all my life in Mumbai and am now based in London it perhaps makes no difference being a Babur Ki Aulad or progeny of the Rajputs 500 years later. That said I am glad to know the identity of my forefathers."
    http://urdufigures.blogspot.com/2010...ad-who-me.html
    Did any Kashmiris travel to Nalanda and Vikramshila to study Buddhism?.

Page 16 of 21 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast