Nationality
    India
    Y-DNA (P)
    J2b2a
    mtDNA (M)
    U2b

India United States of America India Punjab Jammu and Kashmir
    Quote Originally Posted by kpb View Post
    I see what you're saying. I guess I am just trying to parse through everything since its relatively new to me. Upon comparing its just a few things that stuck out to me that I am trying to figure out aside from what I already mentioned.

1) 23andme gave me a lot of central asian. I dont know if they are picking up ancient ancestry or recent.
    2) gedmatch gave me higher Caucasian than most kashmiris, so figuring out if that may be recent or ancient.
    3) My mother and I both score very high western european hunter gatherer in gedrosia K6. I've only seen on this site so far one pashtun and a few tajiks who score as high (in comparison to the indian subcontinent).
    4) I also seem to score a very high southwest asian score on the K12 comparatively to other south asian results. Presumably this is from my father.

I'm posting all this in hopes there may be people more well-versed (I am quite clearly very new to this haha) than I in south asian genetics to speak to what any of these points may signal if anything at all! I'm so curious about my genetic history given we're supposedly a very endogamous group.
    1) Probably picking up some highly preserved segments. Your results on Gedmatch aren't anything special. Maybe an extra 2% Caucasian.
    2) Natural variation unless you can pick up some relatives on your line that are foreign.
    3) Can't comment about this.
    4) Within natural variation. Some AJK score a lot of SW Asian.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to agent_lime For This Useful Post:

Adam A (07-30-2020),  FrostAssassin0701 (07-29-2020),  MonkeyDLuffy (07-29-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Kashmiri Pandit
    Y-DNA (P)
    RM417
    mtDNA (M)
    U7

Is the SW Asian in natural variation (as per the k12)? I looked through so many posts and the highest I saw was 6. Something percent and they were a UP syed. Perhaps I need to keep looking through. So essentially Harappa world is the most accurate of my results and everything else is just picking up ancient heritage and fits within south Asian range. Ah, thought I was on to something but I guess not.

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Punjabi Khatri/J&K/Multan
    Nationality
    India
    Y-DNA (P)
    J2b2a
    mtDNA (M)
    U2b

India United States of America India Punjab Jammu and Kashmir
    Is the SW Asian in natural variation (as per the k12)? I looked through so many posts and the highest I saw was 6. Something percent and they were a UP syed. Perhaps I need to keep looking through. So essentially Harappa world is the most accurate of my results and everything else is just picking up ancient heritage and fits within south Asian range. Ah, thought I was on to something but I guess not.
    I don't know enough about K12 to make an educated guess. Could you have a great grandparent was a Nuristani Hindu/ Kalash like? I guess it is possible. I don't think it would be much more than that. Your SW Asian looks normal on Harappa. When you get your G25 we can try to figure out more.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Kashmiri Pandit
    Y-DNA (P)
    RM417
    mtDNA (M)
    U7

I only can trace two of my grandparents lines back quite far, and funnily enough those sides have the most non-typical traits (blue and grey eyes and blond hair). My other two grandparents had various events in their family that makes it impossible to trace some sides. I don't even know my great-grandmothers maiden name. I do know from one side I can trace one of my 3x great grandfathers brother married an Iranian Muslim woman, but that would have no impact on me.

Looking at the spreadsheet, my Harappa scores are fairly typical for a Kashmiri but my Gedrosia SW Asian is putting me higher than Afghans and lower than Parsis and Iranians. Its a huge discrepancy. I certainly do hope the G25 clears it up. Seems my dad may have to get tested too...

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...#gid=953170908

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kpb For This Useful Post:

agent_lime (07-29-2020),  deuterium_1 (07-29-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Bihari, UPite and Bengali
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA (P)
    O2a2b1a1
    mtDNA (M)
    M6a1a
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1a1a-Z93, R-M560

India Pakistan United Kingdom
    I only can trace two of my grandparents lines back quite far, and funnily enough those sides have the most non-typical traits (blue and grey eyes and blond hair). My other two grandparents had various events in their family that makes it impossible to trace some sides. I don't even know my great-grandmothers maiden name. I do know from one side I can trace one of my 3x great grandfathers brother married an Iranian Muslim woman, but that would have no impact on me.

Looking at the spreadsheet, my Harappa scores are fairly typical for a Kashmiri but my Gedrosia SW Asian is putting me higher than Afghans and lower than Parsis and Iranians. Its a huge discrepancy. I certainly do hope the G25 clears it up. Seems my dad may have to get tested too...

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...#gid=953170908
    Don't Kashmiri Muslims and Pandits cluster together genetically?

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to deuterium_1 For This Useful Post:

FrostAssassin0701 (07-29-2020),  MonkeyDLuffy (07-29-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Kashmiri Pandit
    Y-DNA (P)
    RM417
    mtDNA (M)
    U7

Quote Originally Posted by deuterium_1 View Post
    Don't Kashmiri Muslims and Pandits cluster together genetically?
    Generally, yes. On harappa i score more like a KM than a KP (probably because of my 3% NE Asian and 15% Caucasian). But for some reason on Gedrosia K12 my SW Asian is much higher (by 6-8%) than either, according to that spreadsheet and the results I've seen on the forum. It doesn't make sense.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to kpb For This Useful Post:

deuterium_1 (07-29-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Bengali Brahmin
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-L295
    mtDNA (M)
    T2f

United States of America Bangladesh India United Kingdom
    Generally, yes. On harappa i score more like a KM than a KP (probably because of my 3% NE Asian and 15% Caucasian). But for some reason on Gedrosia K12 my SW Asian is much higher (by 6-8%) than either, according to that spreadsheet and the results I've seen on the forum. It doesn't make sense.
    Harappa is generally considered the “gold standard” of gedmatch calcs for South Asians, but they’re all outdated and getting G25 coordinates would provide a far more definitive answer.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FrostAssassin0701 For This Useful Post:

deuterium_1 (07-29-2020),  MonkeyDLuffy (07-29-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Bihari, UPite and Bengali
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA (P)
    O2a2b1a1
    mtDNA (M)
    M6a1a
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1a1a-Z93, R-M560

India Pakistan United Kingdom
    Sadly there is no colour code for the bar chart but I hope it gives some idea for admixture ratios for Kashmiris:

Green – European
    Brown – Middle Eastern
    Light purple – East Asian
    Dark purple – ?
    Red – India hunter gatherer (AASI)
    Yellow - Tibeto-Burmese

https://journals.plos.org/plosone/ar...l.pone.0160614
    Last edited by deuterium_1; 07-29-2020 at 08:46 AM.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to deuterium_1 For This Useful Post:

btree (07-29-2020),  kpb (07-29-2020),  MonkeyDLuffy (07-29-2020),  thejkhan (07-29-2020)

Registered Users
    Y-DNA (P)
    H-Z4417
    mtDNA (M)
    M3d

Sadly there is no colour code for the bar chart but I hope it gives some idea for admixture ratios for Kashmiris:

https://journals.plos.org/plosone/ar...l.pone.0160614
    My guess,

Green = European

Brown = South West Asian

Purple = Gedrosian

Red = AASI

yellow-green (lol don't know what to call this) = Tibetan related component of East Asians

lighter purple = Dai related component of East Asians

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thejkhan For This Useful Post:

deuterium_1 (07-29-2020),  kpb (07-29-2020)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Punjabi Jatt Sikh
    Nationality
    American & Canadian
    Y-DNA (P)
    L-M357 > Y33989
    mtDNA (M)
    HV2a3
    Y-DNA (M)
    L-M27
    mtDNA (P)
    R0

United States of America California Republic Canada India Punjab Sikh Empire Nishan Sahib

Green – European
    Brown – Middle Eastern
    Light purple – East Asian
    Dark purple – ?
    Red – India hunter gatherer (AASI)
    Yellow - Tibeto-Burmese

This paper is from 2016. It's not going to be very useful in getting an idea of his or Kashmiri admixture proportions in general (at least not any more than an outdated GEDMatch calc). The OP is much better off getting their G25 coordinates from David and then running modern or ancient models with the appropriate populations. Hopefully, he's reviewed the instructions on the first page and is already working on that.

I'd be very curious to see how he compares to the other Pandit on G25 as well as the Kohistani samples from Daamgard.
    Last edited by Sapporo; 07-29-2020 at 10:17 AM.
    pegasus modeling:
    sample": "Punjabi_Jat:Sapporo_AGUser",
    "fit": 1.1506,
    "IRN_Shahr_I_Sokhta_BA3": 43.33,
    "TKM_Gonur1_BA": 31.67,
    "RUS_Sintashta_MLBA": 25,
    "closestDistances": [

avatar credit goes out to aaronbee2010

18. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Sapporo For This Useful Post:

deuterium_1 (07-29-2020),  DMXX (07-29-2020),  FrostAssassin0701 (07-29-2020),  kpb (07-29-2020),  MonkeyDLuffy (07-29-2020),  pegasus (07-29-2020),  Riverman (07-31-2020)

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast