Poll: Choose your somatotype

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What is your body type?

Registered Users

What is your body type?

Hello guys. Knowing your somatotype may be key to getting the results you want from your eating and exercise regimens. Let's say your body type belongs to ectomorph, it may be difficult to gain weight fast and efficiently, when you go to the gym and you spend a sufficient amount of time to do exercises in order to build your muscles and strength it would also be not as easy as you think. In this particular case, you need to have more time and patience

so, there are three somatotypes

• ectomorph
    • mesomorph
    • endomorph

but, but.. you could also have a peculiar mixed version of both body types. For instance, it is endo-mesomorph or meso-ectomorph.. you can determine your body type by using a special measuring tape to measure your shoulders, your hips, waist etc

Please take a look at these graphics and do not forget to participate in the polls by voting

pure, non-mixed body types

Last edited by Light; 07-31-2020 at 06:37 PM.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Light For This Useful Post:

Finn (07-31-2020),  JMcB (07-31-2020),  ThaYamamoto (07-31-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Kurdish (from Turkey)
    Y-DNA (P)
    E-L29
    mtDNA (M)
    H

Kurdistan Turkey Kurdistan Kingdom Germany Bundeswappen
    mesomorph with a little endomorph mix
    50% Adygei + 50% Syrian @ 6,762
    50% Syrian + 50% Kumyk @ 8,297
    50% Samaritians + 50% Lezgin @ 7,032
    50% KurdishJewish + 50% Cirkassian @ 4,596
    50% Georgian_Abkhazia_170 + 50% Assyrian_2_30 @ 4,927
    50% Lebanese_Druze + 50% Adygei @ 7,321

Kurdish people gallery/thread -

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Magnetic For This Useful Post:

Finn (07-31-2020),  JMcB (07-31-2020)

Registered Users
    Y-DNA (P)
    E1b1b1a1b

Russia Mordovia Russia Imperial Uzbekistan Mongolia Greater Khorasan Sami
    Endo - Meso, wide hips/shoulders, medium stature (1.88), easy to gain fat

Target: BuxoroFather_scaled
    Distance: 1.9319% / 0.01931935
    17.4 Kalash
    16.4 Iranian_Mazandarani
    10.6 Iraqi
    10.0 Turkmen
    7.8 Eskimo_Chaplin
    6.4 Egyptian
    6.2 Sardinian
    4.8 Greek_Trabzon
    4.6 Mongolian
    3.8 Makrani
    3.4 Malay
    2.4 Koryak
    1.2 Iranian_Fars
    1.2 Talysh_Azerbaijan
    1.2 Yoruba
    1.0 Moroccan_South
    0.8 Mari
    0.4 Igorot
    0.4 Nganassan

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Buxoro For This Useful Post:

Finn (07-31-2020),  JMcB (07-31-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Omitted
    Y-DNA (P)
    L21
    mtDNA (M)
    H

I think Ive moved from ectomorph as a late teen/early 20s (when I was about 6ft 2 but only 13-14 stone) to mesomorph by my later 20s. I think the male skeleton definitely often broadens after your height stops increasing. Called 'filling out'. I think I am probably heading for endomorph since aged 40 but I dont think that is bone deep and more to do with getting old and unfit LOL

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to alan For This Useful Post:

Finn (07-31-2020),  JMcB (07-31-2020),  Riverman (08-01-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Omitted
    Y-DNA (P)
    L21
    mtDNA (M)
    H

I have the basic NW European trait of being pretty tall and not especially broad or thickset. Within that group I think I have the slightly more Celtic shape of having an especially long upper body (v tall sitting height). I have a very long back and arms with long reach. My legs are probably an inch/inch and a half shorter for my height than I think would be the case among Germanic sorts. I think Scandis tend to have relatively short upper bodies and long legs given their tallness. Its not huge difference but I think a typically a person of the same height may be an inch or so longer in the body if they are from the Celtic fringe while a Scandi would seem more likely to be an inch or so longer in the leg. And Scandis seem to have noticeably shorter arms than Celtic fringers when they are of similar height. May be why you get so many good boxers from Ireland and the rest of the Celtic fringe compared to Scandinavia. Its quite common in Irish boxing to have these lightweight type boxers with a considerably greater reach than comparable sized people of other nations. Another strange thing in the Celtic fringe ive noticed is small wirey people actually being extremely strong. Almost like the quality of the muscle outweighs quantity. Not sure if its one of those high/low twitch muscle things.

Both my parents must have had at least one and possible two copies of the fast twitch muscle gene. Ive never been tested but my sister has two copies of it. Both my sisters had this weird thing that they were not at all into sports but on sports day at school would just appear and beat all the sporty types at sprinting. I was a good sprinter too as were my mum and dad. We all had explosive speed but I dont think we had great stamina. Also bad swimmers and floaters which again is apparently down to fast twitch muscle.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to alan For This Useful Post:

Finn (07-31-2020),  JMcB (07-31-2020),  MikeWhalen (08-01-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Omitted
    Y-DNA (P)
    L21
    mtDNA (M)
    H

I noticed on Crete that all the young men and women were slender good looking sorts. Very stylish. But in middle age and older you would never known this was their natural build as they kind of look chunky and thickset at that age. Mind you that is happening to most people I know LOL.

One thing I do notice from personal experience is what terrible runners natural big boned square shaped endomorphs are even when they have little body fat. Some of the slowest people ive ever known are naturally strongly built broad square built people. So the best tactic if you get into a fight with one of them is run away LOL

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to alan For This Useful Post:

Finn (07-31-2020),  JMcB (07-31-2020),  MikeWhalen (08-01-2020),  Riverman (08-01-2020),  ThaYamamoto (07-31-2020)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    SGC+TRB Creool
    Nationality
    NL
    Y-DNA (P)
    E-V22

Netherlands
    Quote Originally Posted by alan View Post
    I have the basic NW European trait of being pretty tall and not especially broad or thickset. Within that group I think I have the slightly more Celtic shape of having an especially long upper body (v tall sitting height). I have a very long back and arms with long reach. My legs are probably an inch/inch and a half shorter for my height than I think would be the case among Germanic sorts. I think Scandis tend to have relatively short upper bodies and long legs given their tallness. Its not huge difference but I think a typically a person of the same height may be an inch or so longer in the body if they are from the Celtic fringe while a Scandi would seem more likely to be an inch or so longer in the leg. And Scandis seem to have noticeably shorter arms than Celtic fringers when they are of similar height. May be why you get so many good boxers from Ireland and the rest of the Celtic fringe compared to Scandinavia. Its quite common in Irish boxing to have these lightweight type boxers with a considerably greater reach than comparable sized people of other nations. Another strange thing in the Celtic fringe ive noticed is small wirey people actually being extremely strong. Almost like the quality of the muscle outweighs quantity. Not sure if its one of those high/low twitch muscle things.

Both my parents must have had at least one and possible two copies of the fast twitch muscle gene. Ive never been tested but my sister has two copies of it. Both my sisters had this weird thing that they were not at all into sports but on sports day at school would just appear and beat all the sporty types at sprinting. I was a good sprinter too as were my mum and dad. We all had explosive speed but I dont think we had great stamina. Also bad swimmers and floaters which again is apparently down to fast twitch muscle.
    I recognize this partly and partly not. I'm of North Dutch stock. North Dutch are the tallest man in Europe 183 cm on average. I'm even 10 cm longer (6 feet 4). With indeed relative long legs compared to the body, but also long arms (a problem with new jackets or shirts etc). So kind of overgrown

I was kind of ectomorph as teenager and in the twenties....afterwards the pounds went up (especially when the family duties came in).

And according to the 'genetic health' parts of sites like your dna or gene plaza I have, besides that I'm an endurance type, more risk of getting obese

So after the corona quarantaine and holiday: exercise! Every morning on the hometrainer and three times in the week fitness.....

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Finn For This Useful Post:

JMcB (07-31-2020)

Registered Users

ectomorph

The ectomorph body type is characterised by slender stature, gracile bone structure, light build, and small muscles. Shoulders tend to be thin, chest flat, body fat low. They don't easily gain weight or muscle. Some definitions require long limbs as well, others don't. This page includes short-limbed, but slender and gracile types, otherwise many East Asians would remain undefined. Ectomorphy is strongly correlated with Rohrer's index. The most extreme and very long-limbed ectomorphs are Nilotes with a Rohrer around 0.95. Ectomorphy is widespread in dry tropical climate, thus most African Steppe tribes and most desert groups like Tuareg, Arabs, and Khoisan show slender bodies. In Europe it is found in several Nordic and Mediterranean groups, in Asia throughout India and parts of China and Indonesia. Common in Australian Aborigines, more rare in America, where it occurs in the Sonora desert and the Cuyo.

mesomorph

The mesomorph body type is characterised by athletic stature, large bone structure, and large muscles. Shoulders tend to be wide, chest strong, body rather low. They easily gain muscle and lose weight quickly as well. Mesomorphs have been powerful hunters in Paleolithic societies and good athletes in sports, on the other hand they require more calories than other types, which can be disadvantageous. Mesomorphs are common in African savannah groups, many live rather in humid climate than in dry climate. They are found in Europe, Native North Americans, and in South Australians. In Polynesia and Patagonia, very large mesomorphs (used to) exist with large bodies and a tendency to grow fat.

endomorph

The endomorph body type is characterised by stocky stature, soft features, and often large, but not well-defined muscles. Shoulders and not very wide unlike the hips. Body fat is high. They easily gain weight. There exist almost no long-limbed endmorphs. Endomorphy is strongly correlated with Rohrer's index. The most extreme endomorphs are Inuit and some Polynesian and Araucanian groups with Rohrers above 1.5. In those groups the muscle mass below the fat is often high. Endomorphy is advantageous in cold climate as it offers a better protection against the cold. Endomorphs require fewer calories. The body type is also found in Central, Northern, and Eastern Europe, parts of West Asia, and most of North Asia. As well as some mountains of Indochina and Mexico.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Light For This Useful Post:

Finn (08-01-2020),  JMcB (07-31-2020)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    SGC+TRB Creool
    Nationality
    NL
    Y-DNA (P)
    E-V22

Netherlands
    @light isn’t this too rough? I guess I am basically a kind of in between ecto- and mesomorph.
    Last edited by Finn; 08-01-2020 at 12:06 PM.

Registered Users

Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    @light isn’t this to rough? I guess I am basically a kind of in between ecto- and mesomorph.

nowadays pure body types tend to be quite rare, an average person could be ecto-meso, meso-ecto, endo-meso and such combinations of physical types. So you could either be a mesomorph(low percentage) or ecto/endo-mesomorph(high percentage). For ectos could be certain restrictions in sport, but they usually suited for endurance events, long-distance running, marathons, soccer, cycling, and triathlons. Personally, your body type is perfect

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Light For This Useful Post:

Finn (08-01-2020)

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast