Poll: Choose your somatotype

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: What is your body type?

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    G2a2b1 M406> FGC5081

Byzantine Empire Empire of Trebizond Greek Macedonia Greece
    Quote Originally Posted by Chatzianastasoglou View Post
    Its not only due to nutrition. Greeks are generally tending to become fat. I think it is a genetical thing, too, perhaps even in the first place. Slim people above 45 are truly rare in Greece
    It is because as i mention above the Greek people do not care about their appearance and their health eating/drinking all day unhealthy stuff.The only phenotype in Greece who tends to be fat even without unhealthy diet it is actually the Alpine race.I know people from my background with such a phenotype and they have been born fat and still after spending so much time in gym,sports etc,follow a diet as well.. they still remain the same endomorphic individuals.Me on the other hand eating a lot of meat and junk food,drinking a lot of alcohol with limited gym in my life and still i am 78-80kg ectomorph to mesomorph.Genes playing an important role to it but ofc you need a limit.Young Greeks are obese because they exceed it...
    Target: Ioannis_scaled
    Distance: 1.4987% / 0.01498655
    51.8 TUR_Ikiztepe_LC
    24.6 Kura-Araxes_ARM_Kaps
    14.8 Levant_Baqah_BA
    5.4 Iberia_Northeast_Empuries2
    3.4 RUS_Catacomb

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    French
    Y-DNA (P)
    I-Y13432

France
    Wealth became the key to survive in our modern society . Most people today live in houses, can protect from cold, heat or sun wherever they live, can easily get food if they have the money, so I wonder if this has already or will impact natural selection and the way we look. There is no real need to hunt, fight or stock fat anymore. It's also possible that these characteristics become again important in the near future though.
    Last edited by jstephan; 08-01-2020 at 05:53 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to jstephan For This Useful Post:

Caius Agrippa (08-01-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Dodecaroon, Mr. Baboon
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b
    mtDNA (M)
    H1

Quote Originally Posted by jstephan View Post
    Wealth became the key to survive in our modern society . Most people today live in houses, can protect from cold, heat or sun wherever they live, can easily get food if they have the money, so I wonder if this has already or will impact natural selection and the way we look. There is no real need to hunt, fight or stock fat anymore. It's also possible that these characteristics become again important in the near future though.
    I believe in the future human beings will either be merged with machines and the body will become expendable or we will revert to pre-modern society. There are only two possibilities: extreme acceleration of current trends and the so called singularity in a type of futuristic dystopia or reversion to the hardships of pre-industrial society. I can't see this modern society going on like this for long. Maybe in 100 or 200 years from now there will be no humans anymore, but a cyborg mutant species capable of having any phenotype and physical appearence desired.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Caius Agrippa For This Useful Post:

jstephan (08-01-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    French
    Y-DNA (P)
    I-Y13432

France
    Yes and appeance, along with intellectual and physical performanceis, are going to become rather a choice than the result of a natural selection. I believe one day people will also be able to reprogram their own genome the way they want. I am not really enthusiastic with all this but this is going to become the norm at some point I guess.
    Last edited by jstephan; 08-01-2020 at 07:47 PM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to jstephan For This Useful Post:

Caius Agrippa (08-01-2020)

Registered Users
    Y-DNA (P)
    E1b1b1a1b

Russia Mordovia Russia Imperial Uzbekistan Mongolia Greater Khorasan Sami
    For all these characteristics such has height, body structure, body fat, I believe there is always a reason to look at in the environment.

I noticed than in most countries over the globe, young people tend to get taller and slimmer over time, there are little exceptions really.

Natural selection is also influenced by environnement I believe. In the past, women were more naturally attracted by strong men because these men had to protect their family. Nowadays, it's much less the case because there is less need to protect your own family that way anymore, because we have laws for this.

Body fat was also rather an advantage in term of evolution, people with that characteristic were able to survive longer starving, but this is not really the case anymore, now you just go to the supermarket for this.

Nowadays women tend to settle down with wealthy/socially protective/caring man but at the same time would take the chance to get pregnant by handsome and strong stud, leaving her hubby the duty to raise him with her.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Buxoro For This Useful Post:

jstephan (08-01-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    French
    Y-DNA (P)
    I-Y13432

France
    Quote Originally Posted by Buxoro View Post
    Nowadays women tend to settle down with wealthy/socially protective/caring man but at the same time would take the chance to get pregnant by handsome and strong stud, leaving her hubby the duty to raise him with her.
    Yes, but what is considered attractive is also something that changes and depends on environmental and social factors. Remember, not long time ago, at feudal time, being fat with milky skin was considered the must of beauty for women in European societies, now it's rather being skinny and tan. Who knows, maybe in the future having a big skull will be the must for men, means you have a bigger brain and higher chances to provide wealth to your family... Anyway, we are already over control of natural selection, so little chance to see any natural changes such as these occurring.
    Last edited by jstephan; 08-01-2020 at 09:32 PM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to jstephan For This Useful Post:

Johnny ola (08-01-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    G2a2b1 M406> FGC5081

Byzantine Empire Empire of Trebizond Greek Macedonia Greece
    Yes, but what is considered attractive is also something that changes and depends on environmental and social factors. Remember, not long time ago, at feudal time, being fat with milky skin was considered the must of beauty for women in European societies, now it's rather being skinny and tan. Who knows, maybe in the future having a big skull will be the must for men, means you have a bigger brain and higher chances to provide wealth to your family... Anyway, we are already over control of natural selection, so little chance to see any natural changes such as these occurring.
    Well, if you have Alain Delon looks things are different...
    Target: Ioannis_scaled
    Distance: 1.4987% / 0.01498655
    51.8 TUR_Ikiztepe_LC
    24.6 Kura-Araxes_ARM_Kaps
    14.8 Levant_Baqah_BA
    5.4 Iberia_Northeast_Empuries2
    3.4 RUS_Catacomb

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Johnny ola For This Useful Post:

jstephan (08-01-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Omitted
    Y-DNA (P)
    L21
    mtDNA (M)
    H

Lockdown has turned me into an endomorph LOL.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to alan For This Useful Post:

Johnny ola (08-02-2020),  Light (08-02-2020),  ThaYamamoto (08-02-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex

Thin athletic... whatever that type is

Registered Users
    Sex
    Omitted
    Y-DNA (P)
    L21
    mtDNA (M)
    H

A lot of people are contrasting a tall athletically built northern type with smaller gracile med. types but there is definitely a third type - medium height (say about 5ft 9) but with a 47 inch barrel chest and thick boned arms like tree trunks and naturally muscular (never a day in a gym in their life) extremely powerfully strong types. In my experience people with that build are the strongest of all and the scariest LOL. I once arm wrestled a school matr built like that who was about 5-6 inches shorter than me and it was like his arms were pistons. He never went to the gym. Natural brick 'out' house. My father is law was like that in his prime too. Immensely strong barrel built. Medium height around 5ft 10 but with a barrel chest that must be around 45 inches. He was known for party trick type crazy feats of strength as a younger man of the pulling trucks and lifting absurdly heavy objects type.
    Last edited by alan; 08-02-2020 at 02:18 PM.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to alan For This Useful Post:

JMcB (08-02-2020),  jstephan (08-02-2020)

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast