Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Lur + Persian
    Y-DNA (P)
    G2a

Iran Pahlavi Dynasty Canada AchaemenidEmpire1 Iran Sassanid Empire
    Quote Originally Posted by J-Live View Post
    Well that's fascinating. I believe Hormuz or Bandar Abbas was one of the trading capitals of the world back in antiquity so maybe not too unsurprising but rare nevertheless. I'll look through the other samples to see if there is any more southern Iranians exhibiting bonafide North African ancestry.
    The Portuguese and caliphates did transport quite a few African workers to that area. This was happening as late as the qajar dynasty in the 1800s. The gulf coast has pockets of afro iranians all around it

Target: Xeon_scaled
    Distance: 2.7735% / 0.02773461

33.0 IRN_Ganj_Dareh_N
    20.6 Levant_PPNC
    18.4 TUR_Barcin_N
    14.4 GEO_CHG
    13.2 Yamnaya_RUS_Samara
    0.4 RUS_Devils_Gate_Cave_N

Distance: 2.3614% / 0.02361351
    42.2 Kura-Araxes_ARM_Kaps
    23.4 Levant_PPNB
    21.2 IRN_Ganj_Dareh_N
    11.6 Yamnaya_RUS_Samara
    1.6 Nganassan

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Xeon For This Useful Post:

J-Live (07-25-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Xeon View Post
    The Portuguese and caliphates did transport quite a few African workers to that area. This was happening as late as the qajar dynasty in the 1800s. The gulf coast has pockets of afro iranians all around it
    Yes I've read a little about the African influence in the region but I was referring specifically to North African Berberic ancestry which I believe would have to be rare. Of course the ancestry could be coming as a "package" from western-Africans that harbor Berberic ancestry such as Fula, Wolof and other groups in the Sahel, although from what I've read in this very thread is that the African ancestry in Iran was from eastern Africa or is it possible there were other groups brought also? If not how would North African ancestry enter the region? Perhaps from traders/soldiers/wives/prostitutes? I'm assuming foreign groups of the aforementioned were once common in the region considering it's position as a major trade hub?

Banned
    Sex

Yes I've read a little about the African influence in the region but I was referring specifically to North African Berberic ancestry which I believe would have to be rare. Of course the ancestry could be coming as a "package" from western-Africans that harbor Berberic ancestry such as Fula, Wolof and other groups in the Sahel, although from what I've read in this very thread is that the African ancestry in Iran was from eastern Africa or is it possible there were other groups brought also? If not how would North African ancestry enter the region? Perhaps from traders/soldiers/wives/prostitutes? I'm assuming foreign groups of the aforementioned were once common in the region considering it's position as a major trade hub?
    The African ancestry in the Persian Gulf is Zanj/eastern Bantu. There is only one south Iranian individual that scores significant amounts of Berber ancestry.

Quote Originally Posted by Cynic View Post
    The African ancestry in the Persian Gulf is Zanj/eastern Bantu. There is only one south Iranian individual that scores significant amounts of Berber ancestry.
    Yes you are right. I did find these two in the modern individuals page but yes it does seem quite rare:

Target: Iranian:10AQ102
    Distance: 2.3544% / 0.02354357
    42.0 Balochi
    31.0 Brahui
    10.8 Tabasaran
    8.4 Tarkalani
    5.0 Tunisian_Rbaya
    1.4 Tikar_South
    0.8 Bantu_Kenya
    0.6 Cameroon_Bakoko

Target: Iranian:9AQ101
    Distance: 1.3151% / 0.01315093 | R5P
    68.6 Brahui
    12.8 Iranian_Mazandarani
    9.2 Brahmin_Uttar_Pradesh
    6.4 Turkish_North
    3.0 Berber_Tunisia_Chen

With the individual 10AQ102 the reduce population feature actually outputs 5% Fulani instead. Who knows. Interesting stuff.
    Last edited by J-Live; 07-25-2021 at 09:47 PM.

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Omitted
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA (P)
    E-V32>E-FT385910
    mtDNA (M)
    L0a1d1*
    Y-DNA (M)
    T-FGC92488

Somaliland Adal Sultanate Yemen African Union Canada
    Shouldn't you add an Arabian sample in your models? Maybe that's why the Iranian is scoring the heavily Arabian Rbaya

Quote Originally Posted by drobbah View Post
    Shouldn't you add an Arabian sample in your models? Maybe that's why the Iranian is scoring the heavily Arabian Rbaya
    Haha I only use the "Modern Averages - Scaled" up on the g25 site, I'm no expert (yet!)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Omitted
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA (P)
    E-V32>E-FT385910
    mtDNA (M)
    L0a1d1*
    Y-DNA (M)
    T-FGC92488

Haha I only use the "Modern Averages - Scaled" up on the g25 site, I'm no expert (yet!)
    Just add Yemenite_Mahra as they seem to be the most pristine modern average Arabian co-ordinate

Quote Originally Posted by drobbah View Post
    Just add Yemenite_Mahra as they seem to be the most pristine modern average Arabian co-ordinate
    Just checked, they are already in the Modern Averages - Scaled sheet so were included.

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Omitted
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA (P)
    E-V32>E-FT385910
    mtDNA (M)
    L0a1d1*
    Y-DNA (M)
    T-FGC92488

Just checked, they are already in the Modern Averages - Scaled sheet so were included.
    Oh ok I understand now, you ran the entire sheet.I wouldn't take those results seriously then if I were you.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to drobbah For This Useful Post:

J-Live (07-25-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Lur + Persian
    Y-DNA (P)
    G2a

Iran Pahlavi Dynasty Canada AchaemenidEmpire1 Iran Sassanid Empire
    I don't think iranians are the only ones who get this type of admixture. I've seen it in assyrians and other northern mesopotamian samples as well, the highest I've seen are in assyrians. Not sure why that is, it could be a more ancient commonality

Distance: 2.7735% / 0.02773461

33.0 IRN_Ganj_Dareh_N
    20.6 Levant_PPNC
    18.4 TUR_Barcin_N
    14.4 GEO_CHG
    13.2 Yamnaya_RUS_Samara
    0.4 RUS_Devils_Gate_Cave_N

Distance: 2.3614% / 0.02361351
    42.2 Kura-Araxes_ARM_Kaps
    23.4 Levant_PPNB