Thread: Sale of Ancestry to Blackstone

Registered Users
    Sex
    Omitted
    mtDNA (M)
    V3c

Italy Canada Quebec England Scotland

Sale of Ancestry to Blackstone

I havenít seen it posted on here, I know the site was down when it happened, but does anyone have any thoughts on the sale of Ancestry to Blackstone?
    My paper trail: 50% Italian, 25% French Canadian, 12.5% English, 12.5% Scottish.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to euromutt For This Useful Post:

sktibo (09-05-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    7/8 European,1/8 Hawaiian
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-L2>BY4242-Germany
    mtDNA (M)
    H3h-Germany
    Y-DNA (M)
    E-FT41362-Azores, Pt
    mtDNA (P)
    W6a-Slovakia

United States of America Germany Italy Azores Slovakia Hawaii
    While I don't know Blackstone I can say I'm worried that a squeeze on the customer is coming. I just kind of assume that in such a large sprawling entity Ancestry is just a line item in a section that's part of a division that will be judged against how profitable other section's of that division and how other divisions and why can't this little piece do more.

Or maybe this was all part of Blackstone's attempt to get medical DNA data for such a massive population and the reason the sale went through is because Ancestry had started talking up the medical piece earlier. Make some changes as Ancestry to pave the way for medical research to be more attractive to a buyer to get a better price. Maybe they'll ignore the genealogy side and it will wither. Or it will be ignored and guided by someone who's really into genealogy and it gets better? Maybe we'll actually get a chromosome browser?

But like I said, I dont know anything. Things could go bad or good.
    Daughter's ggg grandparents(father to left, mother to right)
    Y-DNA: R-BY4242, R-Z344, ?, ?, E-FT41362, ?, E-L29, ?, R-Z20907, ?, ?, ?, R-L2, R-L20, ?, ?
    MT-DNA: ?, ?, H3g, ?, ?, ?, ?, W6a, ?, N1b1, ?, B4a1a1, ?, U5b2a, ?, H3h, ?, ?, H15a1, ?, ?, ?, ?, I3a, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, K1c1g

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Osiris For This Useful Post:

euromutt (08-26-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Omitted
    mtDNA (M)
    V3c

Blackstone has a history of selling data they own to other third party companies or government agencies so I’m pretty anxious about the whole thing. Their history doesn’t prove that they will do that with our data but it definitely proves they aren’t above it. It concerns me that Ancestry would even sell to such a company, I can’t see what positives they’d see in it except for wanting to make money on the sale while they still can while there’s decreasing interest in ancestry testing.
    My paper trail: 50% Italian, 25% French Canadian, 12.5% English, 12.5% Scottish.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to euromutt For This Useful Post:

Osiris (08-26-2020),  Revmac (08-26-2020),  sktibo (09-05-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-L2>BY4242-Germany
    mtDNA (M)
    H3h-Germany
    Y-DNA (M)
    E-FT41362-Azores, Pt
    mtDNA (P)
    W6a-Slovakia

Yeah, considering how long these negotiations take I'd expect every change Ancestry has made this year was driven at least in part by what Blackstone wanted.
    Y-DNA: R-BY4242, R-Z344, ?, ?, E-FT41362, ?, E-L29, ?, R-Z20907, ?, ?, ?, R-L2, R-L20, ?, ?
    MT-DNA: ?, ?, H3g, ?, ?, ?, ?, W6a, ?, N1b1, ?, B4a1a1, ?, U5b2a, ?, H3h, ?, ?, H15a1, ?, ?, ?, ?, I3a, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, K1c1g

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Osiris For This Useful Post:

euromutt (08-26-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Omitted
    mtDNA (M)
    V3c

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris View Post
    Yeah, considering how long these negotiations take I'd expect every change Ancestry has made this year was driven at least in part by what Blackstone wanted.
    I saw on the thread about the matches below 8cm disappearing that they’ve stated it’s due to “data storage”. So I’m curious what else they’ll decide isn’t worth the “storage” or the time spent maintaining it. I feel like this definitely means the ancestry portion of tests will fall to the wayside and the health portion will take precedent. I can’t imagine this means we’ll get the chromosome browser everyone wants.

What other changes do you speculate were effected by the sale?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to euromutt For This Useful Post:

Osiris (08-27-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    Australian
    Y-DNA (P)
    T-P322 (T1a2b1)
    mtDNA (M)
    H6a1

Australia Cornwall England Scotland Germany Poland
    A chromosome browser will not come to AncestryDNA - ever*.
    Their justification has been privacy, and there is a section of the community who wants that and believes that Ancestry can protect them on that.

*"ever" in Ancestry terms probably needs to be constrained at least after the model of their former website called something like "Family" which was to have continued for ever. That turned out to be around 20 years.
    In IT terms it seems to be only 5 years.
    I am sure Ancestry reserve the right to change their mind if MyHeritage manages to sell more kits and have more paying subscribers.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Saetro For This Useful Post:

Osiris (08-27-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-L2>BY4242-Germany
    mtDNA (M)
    H3h-Germany
    Y-DNA (M)
    E-FT41362-Azores, Pt
    mtDNA (P)
    W6a-Slovakia

Quote Originally Posted by euromutt View Post
    What other changes do you speculate were effected by the sale?
    Specifically their push of health items in the last year.

As for my other specu-wish-a-lation sometimes in these sprawling corporations smaller less profitable pieces can be overlooked as long as they don't do anything dramatic and potentially they could be accidentally put under the care of someone who actually cares about the product or industry. But yeah, that's probably a less than 1% chance.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Osiris For This Useful Post:

euromutt (08-27-2020),  Saetro (08-27-2020)

Silver Class Member
    Sex
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-Z198 (DF27)
    mtDNA (M)
    T2B-T152C

England Scotland Poland Germany Canada Quebec Netherlands
    Quote Originally Posted by euromutt View Post
    Blackstone has a history of selling data they own to other third party companies or government agencies so I’m pretty anxious about the whole thing. Their history doesn’t prove that they will do that with our data but it definitely proves they aren’t above it. It concerns me that Ancestry would even sell to such a company, I can’t see what positives they’d see in it except for wanting to make money on the sale while they still can while there’s decreasing interest in ancestry testing.
    I'm new to this aspect of DNA tests / genetic genealogy. Let's assume worst case scenario, our data is sold, how could that affect us?