Hungarian, German/British
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    N-Y17696 YSEQ
    mtDNA (M)
    H1e1a

Quote Originally Posted by cvolt View Post
    Anyone else still have ~20% broadly? I am disappointed that my broadly did not change with the update and my ethnicity percentages did not change more than 2%... especially because I'm phased with both of my parents. Meanwhile my mom's results dramatically updated with barely any broadly now :/ not fair and quite hurtful
    Sorry to hear that. Especially considering you and I are probably the biggest fans/supporters of the 23andMe algorithm! Definitely not cool.

You're probably really tough to split definitively.. significant NW from both your mom and dad, Scandinavian from your mom, Scandinavian and additional Eastern Europe from your dad, so lot's of moving parts. (did I remember this correctly?) Still, with the parental phasing feature, I would expect better for you than 20% broadly.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mr.G For This Useful Post:

cvolt (10-28-2020),  omgpeeps (11-02-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Mixed
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-YP1337
    mtDNA (M)
    H1

Italy United Kingdom Germany Belarus Russian Federation Ukraine
    Anyone else still have ~20% broadly? I am disappointed that my broadly did not change with the update and my ethnicity percentages did not change more than 2%... especially because I'm phased with both of my parents. Meanwhile my mom's results dramatically updated with barely any broadly now :/ not fair and quite hurtful
    I would not take these tests so personal. I have taken every single one of them and get something different on each of them. No two of them are similar.
    Eurogenes K-13
    East_Sicilian + Southeast_English + Southwest_Russian + West_German @ 1.258977

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mixed For This Useful Post:

cvolt (10-28-2020),  jadegreg (10-28-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Mixed
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-YP1337
    mtDNA (M)
    H1

Italy United Kingdom Germany Belarus Russian Federation Ukraine
    On these tests I am anywhere from 8% to 37% Eastern European. That shows you none of them have it perfect. One lineage is most likely Slavic probably putting me somewhere between 20-30%.
    Eurogenes K-13
    East_Sicilian + Southeast_English + Southwest_Russian + West_German @ 1.258977

Registered Users
    Sex

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post
    Sorry to hear that. Especially considering you and I are probably the biggest fans/supporters of the 23andMe algorithm! Definitely not cool.

You're probably really tough to split definitively.. significant NW from both your mom and dad, Scandinavian from your mom, Scandinavian and additional Eastern Europe from your dad, so lot's of moving parts. (did I remember this correctly?) Still, with the parental phasing feature, I would expect better for you than 20% broadly.
    What has it come to G Dawg? We put the me in 23andme, so I cannot lose hope.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to cvolt For This Useful Post:

Mr.G (10-28-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Hungarian, German/British
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    N-Y17696 YSEQ
    mtDNA (M)
    H1e1a

What has it come to G Dawg? We put the me in 23andme, so I cannot lose hope.
    With you all the way nitti

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.G For This Useful Post:

cvolt (10-28-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Mixed Nuts

United States of America
    Quote Originally Posted by sktibo View Post
    Personally, I'm a fan of your explanations and posts. However, it can be a very irritating thing to receive a quote from someone explaining something to you that didn't need to be explained. The world is full of people chocked full of knowledge and fun facts, eager to share those with anyone who will listen, unfortunately we're so bombarded with knowledge and information that it can be a bit aggravating (in my opinion) to have things explained to us that we didn't want an explanation for!

Not to discourage you, as I said, I really enjoy your posts. It's just an interesting phenomena that comes with the internet age I suppose.
    Thank you. I'll be more mindful

11. The Following User Says Thank You to AppalachianGumbo For This Useful Post:

sktibo (11-02-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    mtDNA (M)
    T2g2a

United States of America Czech Republic Sweden Germany England Slovakia
    My broadly NW Euro category is almost 1/4 of my estimate, which is definitely disappointing. It actually went up a few % as well. Most of mine seems to be British DNA that for some reason the algorithm had difficulty identifying.
    Paper trail:
    37.5% colonial American (English, Scottish, and Irish)
    25% Czech
    12.5% Swedish
    12.5% German
    12.5% possibly all Ashkenazi Jewish, possibly some other Slavic

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cassiopeia For This Useful Post:

cvolt (10-30-2020),  jadegreg (10-30-2020),  Rufus191 (10-30-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-M167/SRY2627
    mtDNA (M)
    U5a1a1

United States of America Canada France Scotland England Germany
    Late to this one. Logged in to check a match and saw there was an update.

My update:

new.JPG

It's not changed drastically, except for a lot of Broadly being assigned now. French & German up ~3%, and British and Irish jumped by ~18%. Southern Europe dropped by ~6%. Native American went from 3.4 to 3.7. Looks like most of my Broadly was put into British and Irish. I feel based on paper trail if it was instead put into French & German it would be fairly accurate, but it feels a bit off as is. I did get regions in France finally, Occitanie and Brittany.

The trace ancestries are interesting. I figured pretty much must be noise, and it still could be, but their FAQ says it's less likely to be noise if it stays at higher confidence levels. Everything there stays the same through 70% confidence level, at 80% the Malayali Subgroup drops to .1 from .2. At 90% Malayali Subgroup changes to Broadly Central & South Asian and goes back up to .2%. The .1 Southern East African stays the same at all confidence levels. The .1 Subsaharan African was also on my initial 23andme results, but I took it to be noise since it showed up on no other tests. More interesting to me now that with the update not only did it stay, they also categorized it further - and it stays at all confidence levels. I just have no clue where these two trace ancestries would be coming from, unless the Malayali was coming through the small amount of Native I have - not sure how likely that is.
    Last edited by linthos; 11-02-2020 at 05:48 PM.
    Paper Trail - Primarily French Canadian and Scottish (through Canada), some English, smaller amounts of Native American and German.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to linthos For This Useful Post:

Hurricane (11-03-2020),  sktibo (11-02-2020)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    mixed European
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    Dad: R1b/L21/DF63
    mtDNA (M)
    K2b2
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-M269
    mtDNA (P)
    K2b1a1a

United States of America England Wales Sweden Germany
    Quote Originally Posted by linthos View Post
    Late to this one. Logged in to check a match and saw there was an update.

My update:

new.JPG

It's not changed drastically, except for a lot of Broadly being assigned now. French & German up ~3%, and British and Irish jumped by ~18%. Southern Europe dropped by ~6%. Native American went from 3.4 to 3.7. Looks like most of my Broadly was put into British and Irish. I feel based on paper trail if it was instead put into French & German it would be fairly accurate, but it feels a bit off as is. I did get regions in France finally, Occitanie and Brittany.

The trace ancestries are interesting. I figured pretty much must be noise, and it still could be, but their FAQ says it's less likely to be noise if it stays at higher confidence levels. Everything there stays the same through 70% confidence level, at 80% the Malayali Subgroup drops to .1 from .2. At 90% Malayali Subgroup changes to Broadly Central & South Asian and goes back up to .2%. The .1 Southern East African stays the same at all confidence levels. The .1 Subsaharan African was also on my initial 23andme results, but I took it to be noise since it showed up on no other tests. More interesting to me now that with the update not only did it stay, they also categorized it further - and it stays at all confidence levels. I just have no clue where these two trace ancestries would be coming from, unless the Malayali was coming through the small amount of Native I have - not sure how likely that is.
    Interesting. My broadly NW Europe barely changed (roughly 17% to roughly 15%), but my broadly Europe (which was already small, 2.9%), went away. My southern Europe increased, from 0.6% to 4% broken down into 2.9% Italian and 1% Spanish/Portuguese, plus 0.1% broadly.

Mostly the changes were positive, but the southern European is not in my paper trail although at that level, who cares. I do have some French (3%) that was identified as southern French at one point (no longer) in my Ancestry upload to 23andMe, and my dad sometimes gets Iberian. The German ancestry is largely southwestern German and Swiss too.

My current Ancestry upload to 23andMe results are:

96.2% NW Europe

41.6% British and Irish (too low) (highly likely for both)
    28% French & German (too high) (highly likely France, likely Germany, Switzerland, and Belgium -- I am French, German, Swiss, and Dutch, but more German and Swiss than French, which on my paper trail is 3.25%, although I have matches connected only through my French immigrant couple)

9.2% Scandinavian (a bit too low, Sweden is the only country listed as a "possible match" and the specific location is correct, but as one g-grandmother is Swedish "possible match" seems lame)

17.4% Broadly NW European (lots of room to fix the problems with the above)

1.4% Southern European (0.8% Spanish and Portuguese, 0.6% Broadly SE)

1.9% Broadly European

0.2% Senegambian and Guinean (23andMe really believes in this but I get it nowhere else, not even Ancestry when it was more into trace results, but it is possible)

0.3% unassigned

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to msmarjoribanks For This Useful Post:

Hurricane (11-03-2020),  linthos (11-03-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    DF27
    mtDNA (M)
    V33

New Zealand Croatia Star of David United Kingdom Poland
    I'm on the V4 chip. I've just noticed my Ancestry Composition has now changed to "Updated: November 02, 2020", however everything is still the same. We'll see if anything develops. The Version is still 5.2.

EDIT:

Under Scientific Details for 5.2 it has "Ancestral breakdown last computed on November 02, 2020". Looks like I'm unlucky and it didn't update anything. Hopefully those of you on V4 have more luck.
    Last edited by BalkanKiwi; 11-03-2020 at 10:59 AM.
    Ancestry on paper: English, Scottish, Irish, Welsh, Croatian, Ashkenazi, Polish and Māori.

I'm currently on leave from the Administration Team. If you have any questions, please direct them to the Hidden Content .

19. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to BalkanKiwi For This Useful Post:

Borte (11-03-2020),  Hurricane (11-03-2020),  jadegreg (11-03-2020),  Kellebel (11-03-2020),  rober_tce (11-04-2020),  sktibo (11-05-2020),  timberwolf (11-05-2020)

Page 35 of 39 FirstFirst ... 253334353637 ... LastLast