Page 40 of 52 FirstFirst ... 30383940414250 ... LastLast
Results 391 to 400 of 515

Thread: Algorithm update 23andMe.

  1. #391
    Registered Users
    Posts
    1,571
    Sex
    Location
    Republic of Moldova
    Ethnicity
    Moldovan/Romanian
    Y-DNA (P)
    I-PH908*, DYS561=15
    mtDNA (M)
    T2a1b1a

    Moldova Romania European Union
    Quote Originally Posted by slowian View Post
    Hey, my old chip ancestry roster was updated on November 25th. The percentage composition has not changed at all, I have what I had. Check how it is with you
    Still the same, last updated in October 2019
    Recent ancestry: 2/4 Central Moldova (Orhei district), 1/4 Southern Moldova (Cahul district), 1/4 Northern Moldova (Briceni district)
    Hidden Content

    Hidden Content

  2. #392
    Registered Users
    Posts
    923
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a1a1b1a2b3
    mtDNA (M)
    U5a2b

    Polish–LithuanianCommonwealth Bulgaria Byzantine Empire Russian Federation Israel
    Quote Originally Posted by Geborgenheit View Post
    I see, estimates were more speculative in 2015 than in 2019. However, in the last updates, they have added some random Italian and NW Asian to everybody, well, at least, I have it now as well. If it is gone, it won't be a huge loss for me...
    Could you share your 23andme 5.9 results?
    Last edited by CyrylBojarski; 12-03-2020 at 09:59 PM.

  3. #393
    Gold Class Member
    Posts
    35
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-Y33
    Y-DNA (M)
    E-Z36123

    Russian Federation Russia Tatarstan Russia Mordovia Uzbekistan
    Quote Originally Posted by Mixed View Post
    You can say what you want. 23 is better with autosomal DNA testing by far. I just did the V5 Chip as I have not tested since V3. They did a very good job. FTDNA maybe it's the manner in which they have their categories listed but I do not care for their autosomal testing. Their Y DNA testing is excellent.
    Sorry for the late reply;


    Firstly, 23andMe isn't in competition with FTDNA for the Y-DNA market, so there's no comparison here to make between the two.


    I agree that FTDNA's autosomal breakdown can be very wonky; my V2 results assigned all of my Ashkenazi ancestry as Anatolian (I don't even know how they managed to that), granted they fixed that with the latest update V3.


    My issue with 23andMe is that the results are incredibly vague, at least for me; With the latest update, I now have a whole chunk of Eastern Europe with Russia, Poland, and Ukraine listed as possible regions. The Jewish part they got precisely correct; 23andMe was always good at detecting Ashkenazi ancestry. The rest is random nonsense like 1% Anatolian and even 0.5% Bengali and Northeast Indian.


    On the one hand, I can't say that they are wrong; they got the gist of it right. For the most part, my ancestors were Eastern Europeans and Ashkenazi Jews, but Eastern European is so inclusive that it doesn't mean much in this context.


    Eastern Europeans aren't some monolithic genetic entity; for example, Czechs and Slovenians are probably closer to certain south German groups than Northern Russians.


    I have Russian and Ukrainian ancestors who lived from the shores of the eastern Dnieper to the Volga and non-Slavic ancestors native to the Volga region like Mordvins and Tatars; the latter population is very easily distinguishable from Slavic Russians.


    I genuinely believe that the product 23andMe offers to be good enough for North Americans, who are not thoroughly interested in studying their genealogy and are satisfied with knowing the general direction from where their ancestors came. For most Europeans, such vague results aren't at all informative about their heritage though.

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to altvred For This Useful Post:

     Mixed (12-04-2020)

  5. #394
    Registered Users
    Posts
    744
    Sex
    Location
    USA
    Ethnicity
    Mixed
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-YP1337
    mtDNA (M)
    H1

    Italy United Kingdom Poland Ukraine Russian Federation Germany
    Quote Originally Posted by altvred View Post
    Sorry for the late reply;


    Firstly, 23andMe isn't in competition with FTDNA for the Y-DNA market, so there's no comparison here to make between the two.


    I agree that FTDNA's autosomal breakdown can be very wonky; my V2 results assigned all of my Ashkenazi ancestry as Anatolian (I don't even know how they managed to that), granted they fixed that with the latest update V3.


    My issue with 23andMe is that the results are incredibly vague, at least for me; With the latest update, I now have a whole chunk of Eastern Europe with Russia, Poland, and Ukraine listed as possible regions. The Jewish part they got precisely correct; 23andMe was always good at detecting Ashkenazi ancestry. The rest is random nonsense like 1% Anatolian and even 0.5% Bengali and Northeast Indian.


    On the one hand, I can't say that they are wrong; they got the gist of it right. For the most part, my ancestors were Eastern Europeans and Ashkenazi Jews, but Eastern European is so inclusive that it doesn't mean much in this context.


    Eastern Europeans aren't some monolithic genetic entity; for example, Czechs and Slovenians are probably closer to certain south German groups than Northern Russians.


    I have Russian and Ukrainian ancestors who lived from the shores of the eastern Dnieper to the Volga and non-Slavic ancestors native to the Volga region like Mordvins and Tatars; the latter population is very easily distinguishable from Slavic Russians.


    I genuinely believe that the product 23andMe offers to be good enough for North Americans, who are not thoroughly interested in studying their genealogy and are satisfied with knowing the general direction from where their ancestors came. For most Europeans, such vague results aren't at all informative about their heritage though.
    They have had trouble assigning Slavic regions and identifying specifics. That I agree with.
    Eurogenes K-13
    East_Sicilian + Southeast_English + Southwest_Russian + West_German @ 1.258977

  6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mixed For This Useful Post:

     altvred (12-04-2020),  CyrylBojarski (12-04-2020)

  7. #395
    Registered Users
    Posts
    923
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a1a1b1a2b3
    mtDNA (M)
    U5a2b

    Polish–LithuanianCommonwealth Bulgaria Byzantine Empire Russian Federation Israel
    Quote Originally Posted by Mixed View Post
    They have had trouble assigning Slavic regions and identifying specifics. That I agree with.
    I am 87% Eastern European and some of my regions are accurate. That gave me very strong Lublin Voivodeship region in Poland and that makes sense, because I'm mainly descended from Polish settlers in Podolia, that came exactly from that area. Russian regions they gave me are not very accurate, they gave me Moscow, Saratov and Krasnodar. Krasnodar is accurate, because of Cossack heritage, but two other not, to my knowledge my Siberian Russians ancestors came somewhere from Murmansk.

  8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CyrylBojarski For This Useful Post:

     altvred (12-04-2020),  Mixed (12-04-2020)

  9. #396
    Registered Users
    Posts
    744
    Sex
    Location
    USA
    Ethnicity
    Mixed
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-YP1337
    mtDNA (M)
    H1

    Italy United Kingdom Poland Ukraine Russian Federation Germany
    Quote Originally Posted by CyrylBojarski View Post
    I am 87% Eastern European and some of my regions are accurate. That gave me very strong Lublin Voivodeship region in Poland and that makes sense, because I'm mainly descended from Polish settlers in Podolia, that came exactly from that area. Russian regions they gave me are not very accurate, they gave me Moscow, Saratov and Krasnodar. Krasnodar is accurate, because of Cossack heritage, but two other not, to my knowledge my Siberian Russians ancestors came somewhere from Murmansk.
    They gave me entirely Polish regions which I know I have relatives in Russia. Masovian Voivodeship is my top region. Kuyavian Pomeranian being second.
    Eurogenes K-13
    East_Sicilian + Southeast_English + Southwest_Russian + West_German @ 1.258977

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to Mixed For This Useful Post:

     CyrylBojarski (12-04-2020)

  11. #397
    Gold Class Member
    Posts
    35
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-Y33
    Y-DNA (M)
    E-Z36123

    Russian Federation Russia Tatarstan Russia Mordovia Uzbekistan
    Quote Originally Posted by CyrylBojarski View Post
    I am 87% Eastern European and some of my regions are accurate. That gave me very strong Lublin Voivodeship region in Poland and that makes sense, because I'm mainly descended from Polish settlers in Podolia, that came exactly from that area. Russian regions they gave me are not very accurate, they gave me Moscow, Saratov and Krasnodar. Krasnodar is accurate, because of Cossack heritage, but two other not, to my knowledge my Siberian Russians ancestors came somewhere from Murmansk.
    For me, most of the regions are inaccurate. Ukraine is a total mess. I got Lviv and Volyn as top matches even though all of my ancestors are from Poltava as far as I know, with only my great-great-grandfather being from Chernihiv.

    I got Masovia and Podkarpackie as the top two matches in Poland even though I do not know about any polish heritage, let alone originating from those areas.

    Russia is a bit better. After the top two matches, Moscow and St.Petersburg, I get Saratov, Chuvashia Tatarstan, and Orenburg as most likely regions, matching what I know about my Russian relatives.

  12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to altvred For This Useful Post:

     CyrylBojarski (12-04-2020),  Geborgenheit (12-04-2020)

  13. #398
    Registered Users
    Posts
    923
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a1a1b1a2b3
    mtDNA (M)
    U5a2b

    Polish–LithuanianCommonwealth Bulgaria Byzantine Empire Russian Federation Israel
    Quote Originally Posted by Mixed View Post
    They gave me entirely Polish regions which I know I have relatives in Russia. Masovian Voivodeship is my top region. Kuyavian Pomeranian being second.
    I think there can be issues with Eastern European regions, Poles are autosomally very similiar to western Russians and because of that you can have Masovia. Your Kuyavian Pomeranian Voivodeship can be only because of your Northwestern European ancestry, Poles in that region are heavily admixed with Germans
    Last edited by CyrylBojarski; 12-04-2020 at 06:29 PM.

  14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CyrylBojarski For This Useful Post:

     altvred (12-04-2020),  Mixed (12-04-2020)

  15. #399
    Registered Users
    Posts
    744
    Sex
    Location
    USA
    Ethnicity
    Mixed
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-YP1337
    mtDNA (M)
    H1

    Italy United Kingdom Poland Ukraine Russian Federation Germany
    Quote Originally Posted by CyrylBojarski View Post
    I think there can be issues with Eastern European regions, Poles are autosomally very similiar to western Russians and because of that you can have Masovia. Your Kuyavian Pomeranian Voivodeship can be only because of your Northwestern European ancestry, Poles in that region are heavily admixed with Germans
    That makes sense. Here are some calculations I ran at Genoplot.

    1.04

    Polish 27.5
    Italian Aosta Valley 24.5
    Ashkenazi Russia 19.5
    Irish 18
    English Cornwall 10.5

    1.13
    Italian Aosta Valley 27.5
    Irish 20.5
    Ash Russia 20
    Russia Smolensk 19
    English Cornwall 13

    1.17
    Italian Aosta Valley 27.5
    Ashkenazi Belarus 20
    Russia Smolensk 20
    Irish 18.5
    English Cornwall 14

    1.26
    Italian Aosta Valley 28
    Ashkenazi Belarus 18.5
    Russia Voronez 19
    Irish 19.5
    English 15

    1.12
    Italian Aosta Valley 26.5
    Ashkenazi Belarus 19
    Polish 27.5
    Irish 17
    English 10

    1.15
    Italian Aosta Valley 28
    Ashkenazi Russia 20.5
    Russia Smolensk 18
    Irish 17
    English 16.5
    Last edited by Mixed; 12-04-2020 at 07:28 PM.
    Eurogenes K-13
    East_Sicilian + Southeast_English + Southwest_Russian + West_German @ 1.258977

  16. The Following User Says Thank You to Mixed For This Useful Post:

     CyrylBojarski (12-04-2020)

  17. #400
    Registered Users
    Posts
    923
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a1a1b1a2b3
    mtDNA (M)
    U5a2b

    Polish–LithuanianCommonwealth Bulgaria Byzantine Empire Russian Federation Israel
    Quote Originally Posted by Mixed View Post
    That makes sense. Here are some calculations I ran at Genoplot.

    1.04

    Polish 27.5
    Italian Aosta Valley 24.5
    Ashkenazi Russia 19.5
    Irish 18
    English Cornwall 10.5

    1.13
    Italian Aosta Valley 27.5
    Irish 20.5
    Ash Russia 20
    Russia Smolensk 19
    English Cornwall 13

    1.17
    Italian Aosta Valley 27.5
    Ashkenazi Belarus 20
    Russia Smolensk 20
    Irish 18.5
    English Cornwall 14

    1.26
    Italian Aosta Valley 28
    Ashkenazi Belarus 18.5
    Russia Voronez 19
    Irish 19.5
    English 15

    1.12
    Italian Aosta Valley 26.5
    Ashkenazi Belarus 19
    Polish 27.5
    Irish 17
    English 10

    1.15
    Italian Aosta Valley 28
    Ashkenazi Russia 20.5
    Russia Smolensk 18
    Irish 17
    English 16.5
    Are you 1/4 Italian 1/4 Russian 1/4 Ashkenazi and 1/4 English?

    This my run on Genoplot

    sample: Cyryl:AncestryDNA
    distance: 1.5313
    Polish: 45.5
    Slovakian: 30.5
    Russian_Orel: 11
    Bulgarian: 6.5
    Romaniote_Jew: 6.5
    Last edited by CyrylBojarski; 12-04-2020 at 08:52 PM.

Page 40 of 52 FirstFirst ... 30383940414250 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. MASSIVE 23andMe update for South Asians!
    By Adam A in forum Southern
    Replies: 96
    Last Post: 06-23-2019, 06:38 AM
  2. 23andme ancestry composition update
    By Dibran in forum 23andMe
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-12-2018, 08:17 PM
  3. Update of a tool for Y-DNA from 23andme
    By ArmandoR1b in forum 23andMe
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-16-2018, 04:08 PM
  4. 23andMe: Haemochromatosis Update
    By DMXX in forum 23andMe
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-04-2015, 01:52 PM
  5. Info Update From 23andMe
    By Gary Corbett in forum 23andMe
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-13-2014, 01:23 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •