Page 56 of 58 FirstFirst ... 6465455565758 LastLast

Thread: New update coming soon - preview your results here!

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Celto-Germanic
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-Z49

England Germany Imperial Ireland Netherlands
    So my father's update added 10% Norway but he is almost entirely of Anglo colonial stock with no known recent Norwegian ancestry. Given that a significant portion of my father's Anglo ancestry is from Northern England (Quakers), can we assume this is picking up an older Norse element in his English ancestry?

On the Scandinavian theme, the new update also added 9% Sweden to my mother where she previously had none, confirming my suspicion that she has unknown Swedish ancestry based on matches she's had with 100% Swedes, often from Dalarna.

The strange or inaccurate element to my mother's results is 28% Scotland, whereas she is primarily an Irish-German mix. In fact her German doesn't seem to appear at all whereas by paper trail she should be in the vicinity of 40% German, unless somehow her German is being dispersed among the 28% Scotland, 9% Sweden, and 6% England (the rest is Irish.) Thoughts?

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Gwydion For This Useful Post:

Bog Body (09-27-2020),  Dts (09-28-2020),  jadegreg (09-27-2020),  msmarjoribanks (09-27-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    Spanish
    Y-DNA (P)
    E-M183

I just got my results so I didn't have a chance to see how they would have looked before the update. I'm Spanish but I'm still researching wether I have Italian ancestry because it's my second European country by number of matches on 23andme. No Welsh ancestry as far as I'm aware.

Spain 77% (range:71-100%)
    North Italy 9% (range:0-9%)
    France 8% (range:0-29%)
    Wales 6% (range:0-9%)
    Last edited by Ibericus; 09-27-2020 at 01:59 PM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Ibericus For This Useful Post:

jadegreg (09-27-2020)

Registered Users
    Ethnicity
    Northern Ireland
    Nationality
    Northern Irish
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-L193(BY2634)

Northern Ireland Ireland Scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwydion View Post
    So my father's update added 10% Norway but he is almost entirely of Anglo colonial stock with no known recent Norwegian ancestry. Given that a significant portion of my father's Anglo ancestry is from Northern England (Quakers), can we assume this is picking up an older Norse element in his English ancestry?

On the Scandinavian theme, the new update also added 9% Sweden to my mother where she previously had none, confirming my suspicion that she has unknown Swedish ancestry based on matches she's had with 100% Swedes, often from Dalarna.

The strange or inaccurate element to my mother's results is 28% Scotland, whereas she is primarily an Irish-German mix. In fact her German doesn't seem to appear at all whereas by paper trail she should be in the vicinity of 40% German, unless somehow her German is being dispersed among the 28% Scotland, 9% Sweden, and 6% England (the rest is Irish.) Thoughts?
    I have seen that an Irish and English combination is marked as Scottish.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Nqp15hhu For This Useful Post:

Gwydion (09-27-2020)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    mixed European
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    Dad: R1b/L21/DF63
    mtDNA (M)
    K2b2
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-M269
    mtDNA (P)
    K2b1a1a

United States of America England Wales Sweden Germany

Excess Scottish seems to be pretty common in these results. It looks like it's reasonably common to put English (esp from Northern England, which makes sense, but also from England generally) into Scottish.

It also seems quite common for German to show up as English or in some cases Scandinavian. That used to be an issue for me, but my German now shows up just about right (at 17%). My sister still has the problem, though, only getting 2% Germanic Europe. Hers appears to be in her much higher (than mine) England number. Some others here have commented about the same thing happening to them.

It seems weird that your mom's German is showing up as largely Scottish (the English and Swedish don't seem weird, and are likely reflecting the German), but that just furthers my impression that for some reason the new update is favoring Scottish in many cases.

For me, my German and Swedish are right on, Irish looks okay, but Welsh and especially Scottish are overstated. In my case they reflect English (which is understated), which seems reasonable enough esp from areas which are less Anglo-Saxon or Norse (at least part of my family was from SW England and the Midlands and some from Northern England). That said, they seem to be way overestimating their ability to separate out England, Ireland, Scotland, and Wales all from each other.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to msmarjoribanks For This Useful Post:

Gwydion (09-27-2020),  jadegreg (09-27-2020),  Rufus191 (09-28-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    English, Danish, Irish
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    I-Z58
    mtDNA (M)
    U5a2c

United States Grand Union England Denmark Ireland Leinster Ireland Munster
    So my father's update added 10% Norway but he is almost entirely of Anglo colonial stock with no known recent Norwegian ancestry. ...
    I'm curious regarding Scandinavian elements appearing in someone of Anglo colonial stock. Did you father's analysis show any Norway or Sweden before the update? Does any Swedish appear after the update? Thanks.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Celto-Germanic
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-Z49

England Germany Imperial Ireland Netherlands
    Quote Originally Posted by Bog Body View Post
    I'm curious regarding Scandinavian elements appearing in someone of Anglo colonial stock. Did you father's analysis show any Norway or Sweden before the update? Does any Swedish appear after the update? Thanks.
    I think his very first Ancestry DNA results from a few years back had Scandinavia as a result but in his last update he was 93% England and Northwest Europe and 7% Scotland/Ireland. Now he is 72% England NW Europe, 14% Scotland, 10% Norway, and 4% Ireland.

He does in fact have some distant 17th and early 18th century Scandinavian ancestry that came to New Netherlands with the Dutch and perhaps there is some unknown New Sweden ancestry that I don't know of which could cause an increase? That's the only thing I can think of for an individual of largely Anglo colonial New Jersey and New York ancestry such as my father.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gwydion For This Useful Post:

Bog Body (09-27-2020),  jadegreg (09-27-2020),  msmarjoribanks (09-28-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Celto-Germanic
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a-YP445
    mtDNA (M)
    J1c2b

England Germany Palatinate Italy Sicily Ireland County Tipperary Canada Nova Scotia Mercia
    I don't have any Scottish ancestors I know of-save of a 6th great-grandfather from Edinburgh-but I do have a lot of northern English (Lancashire, Yorkshire), being one of the three main areas my ancestors came from in England (the other two being the East Midlands and West Country) and get 10% Scotland in the update. My main quarrel with it and the previous update is that I appear to have inherited zero DNA from my father's maternal grandfather, whose parents were born in Palazzo Adriano and was 100% Sicilian.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JoeyP37 For This Useful Post:

jadegreg (09-29-2020),  msmarjoribanks (09-28-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    European blend
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a1a1a1 L664/YP5623
    mtDNA (M)
    U5b2b2/G228A

United States of America European Union Norway Austrian Empire United Kingdom Germany Imperial
    I had a jump in Scottish too. But that may be partly from Scottish slaves the Vikings brought back to Norway, as my Norwegian looks a bit skimpy.

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    mixed European
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    Dad: R1b/L21/DF63
    mtDNA (M)
    K2b2
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-M269
    mtDNA (P)
    K2b1a1a

United States of America England Wales Sweden Germany
    Quote Originally Posted by Bog Body View Post
    It seems really common for people with English ancestry to get Norway (and to a lesser degree Sweden) on Ancestry. My sister got a high Scandinavian number (40%) initially at Ancestry and then 20% Norway (in addition to a 10% Sweden that actually reflected our 1/8 Swedish) after the next update. Right now its mostly fixed for us, but it is something I've seen in lots of other people's results.
    Last edited by msmarjoribanks; 09-28-2020 at 04:14 PM.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to msmarjoribanks For This Useful Post:

Bog Body (09-30-2020),  Dts (09-28-2020),  jadegreg (09-29-2020),  JMcB (09-28-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Mostly British Isles

United Kingdom Ireland France Scotland Wales
    Quote Originally Posted by msmarjoribanks View Post
    It seems really common for people with English ancestry to get Norway (and to a lesser degree Sweden) on Ancestry. My sister got a high Scandinavian number (40%) initially at Ancestry and then 20% Norway (in addition to a 10% Sweden that actually reflected our 1/8 Swedish) after the next update. Right now its mostly fixed for us, but it is something I've seen in lots of other people's results.
    I am not sure it is less usual to get Sweden. As I posted earlier, someone who is of near 100% Norfolk/Suffolk ancestry going back hundreds of years, an area of strong Viking settlement following the original Anglo-Saxon settlement, gets 15% Sweden, 8% Germanic Europe with Ancestry's latest update. The high Germanic is also interesting, as if somehow this person has a limited gene pool which is almost a time capsule of relatively unmixed ancestry compared to most English people and the algorithm is picking up on that and seeing them as German. A close relative on the Suffolk/Norfolk side, but slightly more mixed gets 9% Sweden. Amongst the other several kits I manage of British descended people, it is about 50-50 those who have some Norway or Sweden.

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Rufus191 For This Useful Post:

Bog Body (09-30-2020),  Gwydion (09-29-2020),  jadegreg (09-29-2020),  msmarjoribanks (09-29-2020)

Page 56 of 58 FirstFirst ... 6465455565758 LastLast