Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which panel exactly should I choose?

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a-BY27340
    mtDNA (M)
    H1q2

Spain Basque Andalucia

Which panel exactly should I choose?

I want to be sure.

So, if I am Z282 according to 23andMe, Morley and Cladefinder, wich one of these should I choose?

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a-BY27340
    mtDNA (M)
    H1q2

Spain Basque Andalucia
    ¿Nobody can help me?

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    Spanish
    Y-DNA (P)
    E-M183

In the end you will get your whole genome sequenced so I recommend you save up and order Nebula, Dante (or FTDNA's Yfull).

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ibericus For This Useful Post:

dosas (09-04-2020),  losAntonis (12-15-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Pictland/Deira
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-M222-FGC5864
    mtDNA (M)
    H5r*

A quick way to check is to type the SNP name in the quick find box then see which panels are returned in the search results. In this case only the R1a-superpanel actually has that SNP. It will kick off one of the lower level panels if its appropriate. However if you look at the branching on the superclade panel there is another level of differentiation below Z282 before it splits into the lower panels which is why that SNP isn't on any of the others.

In conclusion then you should do this one:

https://www.yseq.net/product_info.php?products_id=56701
    YSEQ:#37; YFull: YF01405 (Y Elite 2013)
    WGS (Full Genomes Nov 2015, YSEQ Feb 2019, Dante Mar 2019, FGC-10X Linked Reads Apr 2019, Dante-Nanopore May 2019, Chronomics Jan 2020, Sano Genetics Feb 2020, Nebula Genomics June 2020)
    Ancestry GCs: Scots in central Scotland & Ulster, Ireland; English in Yorkshire & Pennines
    Hidden Content
    FBIMatch: A------ (autosomal DNA) for segment matching DO NOT POST ADMIXTURE REPORTS USING MY KIT

6. The Following User Says Thank You to MacUalraig For This Useful Post:

mokordo (09-29-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Pictland/Deira
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-M222-FGC5864
    mtDNA (M)
    H5r*

Quote Originally Posted by Ibericus View Post
    In the end you will get your whole genome sequenced so I recommend you save up and order Nebula, Dante (or FTDNA's Yfull).
    I would consider the YSEQ WGS as their post-sequencing analysis is better than anyone else's. Even at the x15 level it is worth pursuing. This is the standard test I use for my surname project. The longest turnaround so far has been about 6 weeks.
    Last edited by MacUalraig; 09-05-2020 at 10:02 AM.
    WGS (Full Genomes Nov 2015, YSEQ Feb 2019, Dante Mar 2019, FGC-10X Linked Reads Apr 2019, Dante-Nanopore May 2019, Chronomics Jan 2020, Sano Genetics Feb 2020, Nebula Genomics June 2020)
    Ancestry GCs: Scots in central Scotland & Ulster, Ireland; English in Yorkshire & Pennines
    Hidden Content
    FBIMatch: A------ (autosomal DNA) for segment matching DO NOT POST ADMIXTURE REPORTS USING MY KIT

8. The Following User Says Thank You to MacUalraig For This Useful Post:

mokordo (09-29-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Moldovan or Romanian
    Y-DNA (P)
    I-PH908*, DYS561=15
    mtDNA (M)
    T2a1b1a

Moldova Romania European Union
    People need to be warned that Nebula and Dante are quite technical. It's not as simple as receiving the assignment as text in an email as on YSeq.
    Recent ancestry: 2/4 Central Moldova (Orhei district), 1/4 Southern Moldova (Cahul district), 1/4 Northern Moldova (Briceni district)
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Dorkymon For This Useful Post:

mokordo (09-29-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    Spanish
    Y-DNA (P)
    E-M183

Quote Originally Posted by Dorkymon View Post
    People need to be warned that Nebula and Dante are quite technical. It's not as simple as receiving the assignment as text in an email as on YSeq.
    It is. I'm waiting for my Nebula results myself and I'm wondering how to create a .bam for the Y and Mtdna without a PC...

Apart from that, once you manage to upload it to YFull you get exponentially more data than from Yseq panels.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Pictland/Deira
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-M222-FGC5864
    mtDNA (M)
    H5r*

It is. I'm waiting for my Nebula results myself and I'm wondering how to create a .bam for the Y and Mtdna without a PC...

Apart from that, once you manage to upload it to YFull you get exponentially more data than from Yseq panels.
    Do you mean you don't have access to a PC? Ideally the testing lab should either split the files for you or offer a direct link so you don't need to get involved. Both Full Genomes and Yseq have a mechanism to let YFull grab the data without user intervention, whilst Dante and Nebula both say they will develop one but have yet to do so...
    Hidden Content

13. The Following User Says Thank You to MacUalraig For This Useful Post:

Ibericus (09-09-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    English, Irish, German
    Nationality
    US
    Y-DNA (P)
    L21>L226>FGC5639

England Germany Netherlands France Ireland Switzerland
    Ordering YSNP packs and individual YSNPs are no longer very economical in the long run:

1) Order Y111 from FTDNA first.
    2) When you can afford it, upgrade to Big Y700 (during the sale that starts around Thanksgiving).

YSTRs should be ordered first. You may get a free ride on your close matches that have been
    extensively YSNP tested already (many haplogroups are running 20 % Big Y tests). Also, ordering
    YSNPs with ordering YSTRs first, around 75 % of all branches in charts (SAPP or manual) are
    based on YSTRs - so you would be losing 75 % of your branching without YSTRs.

SNP packs and individual YSNP orders may seem economical but they are redundant with Big Y700
    and if you think you will ever order the Big Y700, the other YSNP products are just a waste of
    your limited funds for getting the maximum value for your funds.

With respect of Big Y700 and other NGS/WGS options, FTDNA has 95 % of the orders in their
    database, costs about the same and delivers similar results. However, all economical NGS/WGS
    tests are shorter read products (150 base pairs) which can not read many of the useful YSTRs as well
    as may squeak out another 5 % of quality reads for YSNPs as well. Unfortunately, upgrades are
    not possible, so this will be redundant costs with the current NGS/WGS options. This is probably
    at least five or more years out as the dramatic drop in prices is slowing down as compared
    to the past. When the longer read NGS/WGS products roll out, Y111 will no longer be necessary
    as the longer read will be able to read all currently reported YSTRs.

For many testers, current NGS/WGS testers are not discovering new branches as they once
    did. This is happening in the prolific predictable haplogroups that have large numbers under
    surname clusters. As the percentage of Y500 and Y700 YSTRs increases, the number of YSTR
    branches will increase. Also, FTDNA and YFULL are not reporting all YSTRs as well, so when
    the next round longer read length product becomes cost effective, Big Y700 will become
    Big Y1000 or Y1500.
    Last edited by RobertCasey; 09-09-2020 at 03:32 PM.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RobertCasey For This Useful Post:

Bog Body (09-27-2020),  Ibericus (09-09-2020),  mokordo (09-29-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Pictland/Deira
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-M222-FGC5864
    mtDNA (M)
    H5r*

Quote Originally Posted by RobertCasey View Post
    Ordering YSNP packs and individual YSNPs are no longer very economical in the long run:

1) Order Y111 from FTDNA first.
    2) When you can afford it, upgrade to Big Y700 (during the sale that starts around Thanksgiving).

YSTRs should be ordered first. You may get a free ride on your close matches that have been
    extensively YSNP tested already (many haplogroups are running 20 % Big Y tests). Also, ordering
    YSNPs with ordering YSTRs first, around 75 % of all branches in charts (SAPP or manual) are
    based on YSTRs - so you would be losing 75 % of your branching without YSTRs.

SNP packs and individual YSNP orders may seem economical but they are redundant with Big Y700
    and if you think you will ever order the Big Y700, the other YSNP products are just a waste of
    your limited funds for getting the maximum value for your funds.

With respect of Big Y700 and other NGS/WGS options, FTDNA has 95 % of the orders in their
    database, costs about the same and delivers similar results. However, all economical NGS/WGS
    tests are shorter read products (150 base pairs) which can not read many of the useful YSTRs as well
    as may squeak out another 5 % of quality reads for YSNPs as well. Unfortunately, upgrades are
    not possible, so this will be redundant costs with the current NGS/WGS options. This is probably
    at least five or more years out as the dramatic drop in prices is slowing down as compared
    to the past. When the longer read NGS/WGS products roll out, Y111 will no longer be necessary
    as the longer read will be able to read all currently reported YSTRs.

For many testers, current NGS/WGS testers are not discovering new branches as they once
    did. This is happening in the prolific predictable haplogroups that have large numbers under
    surname clusters. As the percentage of Y500 and Y700 YSTRs increases, the number of YSTR
    branches will increase. Also, FTDNA and YFULL are not reporting all YSTRs as well, so when
    the next round longer read length product becomes cost effective, Big Y700 will become
    Big Y1000 or Y1500.
    The BigY doesn't remotely 'deliver similar results' to the YSEQ WGS test - in fact they remove the mtDNA calls so they can sell you an additional FMS test. Nor does it give you your raw data without charging a large additional fee, so you are tied to their proprietary tree and denied the chance to match with customers of other labs.
    Hidden Content

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MacUalraig For This Useful Post:

Jatt1 (12-15-2020),  mokordo (09-29-2020)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast