Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just got my Living DNA results, and it's a disappointing mess

Registered Users
    Sex

Just got my Living DNA results, and it's a disappointing mess

Let me say that I was very excited to test with this company, but I just received my results today and well, yeah...

I have a significant 30-40% German/Swiss German heritage that doesn't even show up! None whatsoever. How is that even possible? I saw a user named Hayden who had a PA Dutch grandfather score Germanic so I thought "oh cool they can detect German heritage now, no more issues", looks like they're still having problems with that though, very disappointing.

My Scandinavian is inflated, big time! I have a Norwegian great great grandparent and Danish great grandparent. So about 1/8th, 1/16th, my Scandinavian when added up should be no more than 8%, but I get a whopping 17%

My English Heritage is from the Midlands and South, which I guess makes sense from these results. And I do have Northern Irish/Scottish heritage too.

I tend to get Eastern European on every DNA test I have taken, 23andme has me at 6% Eastern Europe but I get 16% Northeast Europe on Living DNA, which is the highest yet, it sucks they couldn't break it down.

I was hopeful and confident that Living DNA would be accurate for non-Brits, but based on my experience, no, not yet.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Aiden For This Useful Post:

Cascio (09-09-2020),  Nqp15hhu (09-09-2020),  vettor (09-09-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex

My Scandinavian is inflated, big time! I have a Norwegian great great grandparent and Danish great grandparent. So about 1/8th, 1/16th, my Scandinavian when added up should be no more than 8%, but I get a whopping 17%
    I'm no big fan of Living DNA either, though I don't think they are horribly wrong usually. But did you just say you have one gggrandparent and one ggrandparent? So 3/16? This adds up to 18,75 %. If you would have just 1/16, you should be between 5-7 (6,25) percent and 1/8 is 11-14 (12,5).

23andme has me at 6% Eastern Europe but I get 16% Northeast Europe on Living DNA, which is the highest yet, it sucks they couldn't break it down.
    23andme is more conservative with Eastern European than the other companies, so getting 6 percent means something. In my opinion 23andme being the most accurate. How much German do you have on paper? How much did 23andme give you?
    Last edited by Riverman; 09-09-2020 at 06:11 PM.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Riverman For This Useful Post:

sktibo (09-09-2020),  vettor (09-09-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex

Quote Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
    I'm no big fan of Living DNA either, though I don't think they are horribly wrong usually. But did you just say you have one gggrandparent and one ggrandparent? So 3/16? This adds up to 18,75 %. If you would have just 1/16, you should be between 5-7 (6,25) percent and 1/8 is 11-14 (12,5).

23andme is more conservative with Eastern European than the other companies, so getting 6 percent means something. In my opinion 23andme being the most accurate. How much German do you have on paper?
    From my research my German comes from my mother's father, all from the state of Baden near the Swiss border. I get 33% French and German (Germany and Switzerland ancestor locations) on 23andme.

Registered Users
    Sex

Quote Originally Posted by Aiden View Post
    From my research my German comes from my mother's father, all from the state of Baden near the Swiss border. I get 33% French and German (Germany and Switzerland ancestor locations) on 23andme.
    Ok, these are probably the least Eastern European influenced Germans of all, so any idea where the Eastern European did come from? Danish have little bit sometimes, but not enough for 6 percent considering your make up.

Registered Users
    Sex

Quote Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
    Ok, these are probably the least Eastern European influenced Germans of all, so any idea where the Eastern European did come from? Danish have little bit sometimes, but not enough for 6 percent considering your make up.
    I have no idea where my eastern european comes from, there are rumors in my family of a Hungarian grandparent, 23andme says it's Poland under Eastern European, 24Genetics says it's a small percentage combo of Poland, Ukraine, Belarus. Living DNA just puts it as broad Northeast Europe. I wish i could know for certain what ethnicity it is
    Last edited by Aiden; 09-09-2020 at 06:54 PM.

Registered Users
    Sex

I have no idea where my eastern european comes from, there are rumors in my family of a Hungarian grandparent, 23andme says it's Poland under Eastern European, 24Genetics says it's a small percentage combo of Poland, Ukraine, Belarus. Living DNA just puts it as broad Northeast Europe. I wish i could know for certain what ethnicity it is
    I'd say its hard to impossible to pin it down, because my own Slavic ancestry is Czech, proven by paper trail and actual matches, but no calculator gets it, and no commercial tester. Either it gets labelled as Polish or melted into one big Balkan component. Yet its 100 percent sure that it is actually Czech. They don't have the right reference samples from the region and similarly, your chances of finding out will be better with matches or paper trail. Do you get some fully Slavic matches?

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    Australian
    Y-DNA (P)
    T-P322 (T1a2b1)
    mtDNA (M)
    H6a1

Australia Cornwall England Scotland Germany Poland
    If people are not sure about something, ask the lab.
    Some time ago, LivingDNA said they had a project to take samples across Germany.
    I have not heard that program was completed.
    So I have held off testing there for now.

I do know someone who wanted to test for ethnicity within a particular country.
    The lab (a different one) was asked if they had samples on their panel for that and they said they did.
    His report said wrongly that he had no ethnicity there and it turned out the advice had been mistaken.
    They refunded his money. (Only a chance if you ask first.)

Many people I know have been fairly to very satisfied with LivingDNAs predictions for regional origins within Britain.
    I need them for Germany. When they are ready.
    But already it looks like my origins include different ethnic groups within the same region. So that might be too much to expect.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Saetro For This Useful Post:

Riverman (09-09-2020)

I have read about DNA transfer on teeth, is it correct? Have a look here if you want https://www.dtimplants.com/dental-im...a-new-centers/

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    mixed European
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    Dad: R1b/L21/DF63
    mtDNA (M)
    K2b2
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-M269
    mtDNA (P)
    K2b1a1a

United States of America England Wales Sweden Germany
    LivingDNA can't tell English from German from Scandinavian reliably IME. That probably messes up the British Isles regions too, for mixed NW Euro ancestry people, even apart from there having been lots of migration within the British Isles since the ancestors of many of us New Worlders emigrated, so I don't place a lot of confidence in them. Even my most recent English immigrant ancestor (who was born in 1850, most of my others are colonial period, largely 1600s) had parents from different regions (Essex and Shropshire), and many of the siblings and cousins of the Shropshire family moved to the London area in the 1850s and after.

So I was curious what it would come up with, but always pretty skeptical about what it could do for me.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Ger.-Brit.-Catalan-more
    Nationality
    (U.S.) American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-YP619*
    mtDNA (M)
    H1bg

United Kingdom Germany Bayern Catalonia France Ireland Switzerland
    Let me say that I was very excited to test with this company, but I just received my results today and well, yeah...

I have a significant 30-40% German/Swiss German heritage that doesn't even show up! None whatsoever. How is that even possible? I saw a user named Hayden who had a PA Dutch grandfather score Germanic so I thought "oh cool they can detect German heritage now, no more issues", looks like they're still having problems with that though, very disappointing.

My English Heritage is from the Midlands and South, which I guess makes sense from these results. And I do have Northern Irish/Scottish heritage too.

I tend to get Eastern European on every DNA test I have taken, 23andme has me at 6% Eastern Europe but I get 16% Northeast Europe on Living DNA, which is the highest yet, it sucks they couldn't break it down.

I was hopeful and confident that Living DNA would be accurate for non-Brits, but based on my experience, no, not yet.
    I can definitely relate to this. My father was born and raised in Central Pennsylvania. As is fairly typical for the county he grew up in, both of his parents had German surnames -- though somewhat Americanized -- and all four of his grandparents had German surnames. Only six of his eight grandparents had German surnames, while the remaining two had the surnames of White and Keith. ("White" actually could have a German origin, but I've chosen to consider surnames that aren't definitely German as "British" unless I know otherwise.)

Going back to the generation of my father's 2nd great grandparents, there are eleven German surnames and five seemingly non-German surnames. These are: Gregg, White, Smith, Keith, and Walker. Among my father's 3rd great grandparents, there are twenty-four surnames of German origin, six surnames of possible British origin (Gregg, White, Smith, Keith, Walker, Stewart), and two missing surnames.

Now, even though the members of my father's 3rd great grandparents' generation were all born in America -- mostly in Pennsylvania, with perhaps a few in Maryland -- they were for the most part "unmixed" at this point. That is, the German ancestors still attended German-speaking churches and married other German-Americans ... with only one exception: a woman with the surname Creps married a man with the surname Gregg.

My point is, it's pretty clear that I have a fair amount of German ancestry on my father's side, dating back to the colonial era. I don't have as much on my mother's side, but it's more recent and could just as easily be French ancestry. My maternal grandmother's paternal grandmother was born in Alsace-Lorraine.

Despite that, LivingDNA insists I only have 16.4% Northwest Germanic ancestry. Not only is this less than half the German ancestry I have via my paper trail, it's also in the wrong place -- my German ancestry should be more from the southwest of German.

What LivingDNA does, I believe, is attach some part of my German ancestry to my Scottish and Scots-Irish ancestry, making much of my ancestry appear to be much more "English" than it actually is, as well as making my ancestry seem less German than it is.

But they at least do a better job than Ancestry's latest update, which claims that I'm only 5% "Germanic Europe". LivingDNA also correctly identifies 6.7% of my ancestry as "Eastern Iberian". While that's only a bit more than half of my Spanish ancestry (at least by my paper trail), Ancestry is unable to identify any of my Spanish ancestry.

(At least in the 2019 update Ancestry was able to find 1% Spanish. Pitiful, but not as pitiful as the 0% on the 2020 update.)

EDIT:

Here's my LivingDNA map, along with my ancestry percentages.LivingDNA Ancestry Estimate.PNG
    Last edited by geebee; 09-17-2020 at 05:21 AM. Reason: Addition of graphic
    Besides British-German-Catalan, ancestry includes smaller amounts of French, Irish, Swiss, Choctaw & another NA tribe, possibly Catawba. Avatar picture is: my father, his father, & his father's father; baby is my eldest brother.

GB

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast