Polish, Greek
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    U152>Z36>R-FT330613

United States of America Poland Greece Empire of Trebizond Greek Macedonia

Pontic Greek R-U152

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if someone could help me try to figure out my paternal grandfather's very obscure and unknown background. My father has 2 Pontic Greek parents, his mother being from the Eastern part of Pontus in Giresun with family in the Caucasus as well, and his father being from just outside of Istanbul in a village called Yenikoy Sile. My paternal great grandfather is said to have come to Yenikoy Sile from Eastern Thrace, but we know next to nothing about him and his family. They had a very distinct family look, either blonde or copper colored hair, and fairly light skin for Greeks. I know that Yenikoy was full of many different Balkan groups like Bulgarians and Serbs, but in terms of autosomal dna results and matches, there seem to be an incredibly diverse group of somewhat close matches from Baltic countries and Northeastern European countries, as well as several Jewish surnames. (Sephardic/Ashkenazi) Towards the end of the list, we have Scottish/British/American matches as well. I received my Big Y 700 results recently and found that I am in R-U152--Z36-- R-FT330613. Most people tend to be Italian, Swiss, or from the British Isles in this subclade. I have read that in Greece/Anatolia this could be attributed possibly to the Galatians who invaded Greece and Thrace, settling eventually in Central Anatolia, or to the Romans in the area of Pontus. I myself believe it is the former. According to the SNP tracker (not sure if this is reliable) my terminal SNP is located near central Anatolia close to Kayseri at about 970 CE. I am wondering if it makes sense to suspect that my paternal line was Galatian, became Hellenized and were absorbed into another Greek community like the Cappadocian Greeks? Recently ancestry.com did an update to my father's atdna kit and whereas before, from his father he was 36% Greek and 14% Italian, today his profile has shifted to more "Turkey and the Caucasus" "Balkan" and a few percentage points of "Greek" (4%) Cyprus (3%) and France (2%) There are extremely few known matches from Yenikoy on our match list and I have noticed that a few of them also have the Cypriot and French numbers. We have no knowledge of a Cypriot background but I have read that Cappadocians (Greeks among them) were moved to Cyprus by the Seljuks (I think) in the 16th century. And as for the French, it probably is unrelated, but the Galatian Tectosages were thought to have originated from near Toulouse, which is almost exactly where the particular French category is located. In general, certain tools like the Eurogenes 36K similarity map put most of the hotspots--after removing my grandmother's percentage--around the islands off the coast of Western Turkey. My father's kit is on gedmatch, but besides a basic understanding of admixture tools and oracle, I'm not entirely sure I know what I am looking at. I'm wondering if someone can take a look and tell me what they see. Again, 1 set of grandparents were from Giresun and the other from Yenikoy Sile. Thanks for any help whatsoever. I appreciate it!
    Last edited by Marko47; 09-12-2020 at 01:30 AM.

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Marko47 For This Useful Post:

ADW_1981 (09-12-2020),  Agamemnon (09-12-2020),  Cascio (09-13-2020),  DgidguBidgu (09-12-2020),  dosas (09-12-2020),  Greekscholar (09-13-2020),  Grossvater (09-12-2020),  Johnny ola (09-12-2020),  Principe (09-12-2020),  xripkan (09-12-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    G2a2b1 M406> FGC5081

Can you link your father's gedmatch kit plss!!!

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Johnny ola For This Useful Post:

Agamemnon (09-12-2020),  dosas (09-12-2020)

Registered Users
    Ethnicity
    Polish, Greek
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    U152>Z36>R-FT330613

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny ola View Post
    Can you link your father's gedmatch kit plss!!!
    Yes, of course. Thanks.

MK
    Last edited by Marko47; 09-12-2020 at 11:14 PM.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Marko47 For This Useful Post:

Agamemnon (09-12-2020),  Johnny ola (09-12-2020),  xripkan (09-12-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    G2a2b1 M406> FGC5081

Quote Originally Posted by Marko47 View Post
    Yes, of course. Thanks.

MK4639436
    I think you have some Turkic/Siberian like admixture in your autosomal profile.I cant say for sure if its coming from your Constantinoupoli side or the Pontic Greek part.It would be better to buy G25 coordinates to have a better look thought.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Johnny ola For This Useful Post:

Agamemnon (09-12-2020),  Marko47 (09-12-2020)

Registered Users
    Ethnicity
    Polish, Greek
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    U152>Z36>R-FT330613

Very interesting. I know that Bashkirs sometimes have R-U152, but of course I have no knowledge of this type of connection. What I do know is that my xiliote paternal people had a serious affiliation with Russia. People from the village in Greece who were familiar with my family talked about them all going to Russia. I assume that they meant into the Soviet Union and Bloc after the civil war. My grandfather's nickname during the war was "Volgas," and we never knew the exact reason or story behind it. My grandmother's maternal grandfather could have been from near Odessa and had the surname "Emirza." I have often thought he could have been an Urum or Crimean Tatar. Not sure if Siberia is a part of that profile. I do have a kit for my grandmother's brother from the Giresun side however. I saw a thread recently that you may have been a part of too about Levantine/Jewish connection to Pontic Greeks. Someone mentioned the Kohenim. We have a few Kohenim matches on ftdna, one in particular that is fairly close. The kit for my Giresun family is KV7346230

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Marko47 For This Useful Post:

Agamemnon (09-12-2020),  emc (09-13-2020),  Johnny ola (09-12-2020),  xripkan (09-12-2020)

Registered Users
    Ethnicity
    Polish, Greek
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    U152>Z36>R-FT330613

Also, I am unfamiliar with G25 coordinates. Is this a Tier 1 tool?

I am wondering which of the admixture tools are the ones to look at for Pontic Greek profiles?

Thanks again for your assistance.
    Last edited by Marko47; 09-12-2020 at 02:14 PM.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    G2a2b1 M406> FGC5081

Very interesting. I know that Bashkirs sometimes have R-U152, but of course I have no knowledge of this type of connection. What I do know is that my xiliote paternal people had a serious affiliation with Russia. People from the village in Greece who were familiar with my family talked about them all going to Russia. I assume that they meant into the Soviet Union and Bloc after the civil war. My grandfather's nickname during the war was "Volgas," and we never knew the exact reason or story behind it. My grandmother's maternal grandfather could have been from near Odessa and had the surname "Emirza." I have often thought he could have been an Urum or Crimean Tatar. Not sure if Siberia is a part of that profile. I do have a kit for my grandmother's brother from the Giresun side however. I saw a thread recently that you may have been a part of too about Levantine/Jewish connection to Pontic Greeks. Someone mentioned the Kohenim. We have a few Kohenim matches on ftdna, one in particular that is fairly close. The kit for my Giresun family is KV7346230
    Ok now i seeing it Ty In advance!!!

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    G2a2b1 M406> FGC5081

Also, I am unfamiliar with G25 coordinates. Is this a Tier 1 tool?

I am wondering which of the admixture tools are the ones to look at for Pontic Greek profiles?

Thanks again for your assistance.
    https://eurogenes.blogspot.com/2019/...25_12.html?m=1

Registered Users
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-Z93>R-YP4768
    mtDNA (M)
    J1c

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if someone could help me try to figure out my paternal grandfather's very obscure and unknown background. My father has 2 Pontic Greek parents, his mother being from the Eastern part of Pontus in Giresun with family in the Caucasus as well, and his father being from just outside of Istanbul in a village called Yenikoy Sile. My paternal great grandfather is said to have come to Yenikoy Sile from Eastern Thrace, but we know next to nothing about him and his family. They had a very distinct family look, either blonde or copper colored hair, and fairly light skin for Greeks. I know that Yenikoy was full of many different Balkan groups like Bulgarians and Serbs, but in terms of autosomal dna results and matches, there seem to be an incredibly diverse group of somewhat close matches from Baltic countries and Northeastern European countries, as well as several Jewish surnames. (Sephardic/Ashkenazi) Towards the end of the list, we have Scottish/British/American matches as well. I received my Big Y 700 results recently and found that I am in R-U152--Z36-- R-FT330613. Most people tend to be Italian, Swiss, or from the British Isles in this subclade. I have read that in Greece/Anatolia this could be attributed possibly to the Galatians who invaded Greece and Thrace, settling eventually in Central Anatolia, or to the Romans in the area of Pontus. I myself believe it is the former. According to the SNP tracker (not sure if this is reliable) my terminal SNP is located near central Anatolia close to Kayseri at about 970 CE. I am wondering if it makes sense to suspect that my paternal line was Galatian, became Hellenized and were absorbed into another Greek community like the Cappadocian Greeks? Recently ancestry.com did an update to my father's atdna kit and whereas before, from his father he was 36% Greek and 14% Italian, today his profile has shifted to more "Turkey and the Caucasus" "Balkan" and a few percentage points of "Greek" (4%) Cyprus (3%) and France (2%) There are extremely few known matches from Yenikoy on our match list and I have noticed that a few of them also have the Cypriot and French numbers. We have no knowledge of a Cypriot background but I have read that Cappadocians (Greeks among them) were moved to Cyprus by the Seljuks (I think) in the 16th century. And as for the French, it probably is unrelated, but the Galatian Tectosages were thought to have originated from near Toulouse, which is almost exactly where the particular French category is located. In general, certain tools like the Eurogenes 36K similarity map put most of the hotspots--after removing my grandmother's percentage--around the islands off the coast of Western Turkey. My father's kit is on gedmatch, but besides a basic understanding of admixture tools and oracle, I'm not entirely sure I know what I am looking at. I'm wondering if someone can take a look and tell me what they see. Again, 1 set of grandparents were from Giresun and the other from Yenikoy Sile. Thanks for any help whatsoever. I appreciate it!
    Interesting results! Based on his genetic results and his known ancestry your father seems mostly Caucasian from his maternal side and a mix of Central-Western Anatolian and South Balkans from fis paternal side. Your maternal family seems to have some Levantine and maybe Central Anatolian/Cappadocian input as well.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    G2a2b1 M406> FGC5081

Υes as i expected.Your grandma's kit has nothing east asian/siberian or Turkish but it has a decent levantine shift,that we seen it in many Pontic Greek gedmatches/samples.Probably Jewish connection.But overall her results are native of the region of mixed anatolian and caucasian DNA.I think your father's siberian/east asian admixture is coming from the Istanbul/Costantinoupoli part.You can found out more if you buy G25 coordinates.You will have a clearly view thought.About your Ydna i think it has a connection with Galatians but again this is more related with your father's origins and not with Pontic Greeks.Galatians never reached those lands at all!!!!

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Johnny ola For This Useful Post:

Agamemnon (09-12-2020),  StillWater (09-13-2020)

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast