Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Pontic Greek R-U152

Registered Users
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-Z93>R-YP4768
    mtDNA (M)
    J1c

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny ola View Post
    Υes as i expected.Your grandma's kit has nothing east asian/siberian or Turkish but it has a decent levantine shift,that we seen it in many Pontic Greek gedmatches/samples.Probably Jewish connection.But overall her results are native of the region of mixed anatolian and caucasian DNA.I think your father's siberian/east asian admixture is coming from the Istanbul/Costantinoupoli part.You can found out more if you buy G25 coordinates.You will have a clearly view thought.About your Ydna i think it has a connection with Galatians but again this is more related with your father's origins and not with Pontic Greeks.Galatians never reached those lands at all!!!!
    I agree with most of what you mention but I have doubts about the Turkic ancestry. I didn't find such an ancestry running his father's kit. In which calculators did you find it?
    Last edited by xripkan; 09-12-2020 at 02:50 PM.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Hellenic
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-Z2103>R-Y155609
    mtDNA (M)
    W6c1a

Greece Greek Macedonia Empire of Trebizond Byzantine Empire
    From what I understood from your post, you most distant known male ancestor is from the Marmara region, next to Istanbul? Your title seems a bit of misnomer, what did your paternal family side self-identify as and what language did they use primarily for intra-family communication?

The term "Pontic Greek" usually refers to Hellenic speaking populations eastwards of Samsun and in Crimea.
    Last edited by dosas; 09-12-2020 at 02:45 PM.
    55.8% Greek Central Macedonia + 44.2% Greek Trabzon @ 1.46

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    G2a2b1 M406> FGC5081

Quote Originally Posted by xripkan View Post
    I agree with most of what you mention but I have doubts about the Turkic ancestry. I didn't find such an ancestry running his father's kit. In which calculators did you find it?
    I didn' t see such an ancestry running his father's kit.
    In most calucators coming closer to azov greeks,tatars and turkish refrences.I am not sure if he indeed has some turkish/siberian admixture that it would be more visible in G25 but for some reason he gives me the idea that he has a connection with western turkey and balkan turks hence why he scores such refrences on gedmatch.

Registered Users
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-Z93>R-YP4768
    mtDNA (M)
    J1c

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny ola View Post
    In most calucators coming closer to azov greeks,tatars and turkish refrences.I am not sure if he indeed has some turkish/siberian admixture that it would be more visible in G25 but for some reason he gives me the idea that he has a connection with western turkey and balkan turks hence why he scores such refrences on gedmatch.
    He scores no Siberian and East Asian in Dodecad K12b and almost 0 at Eurogenes K13. He also scores 0 at Gedrosia Eurasia. His proximity to Azov Greeks, Crimean Tatars and Turks as well exists -in my opinion- due to the combination of Caucasusian+Central Anatolian+Balkanic admixture he has.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to xripkan For This Useful Post:

Markos (09-13-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    G2a2b1 M406> FGC5081

Quote Originally Posted by xripkan View Post
    He scores no Siberian and East Asian in Dodecad K12b and almost 0 at Eurogenes K13. He also scores 0 at Gedrosia Eurasia. His proximity to Azov Greeks, Crimean Tatars and Turks as well exists -in my opinion- due to the combination of Caucasusian+Central Anatolian+Balkanic admixture he has.
    It might be this case, thought his results would be more visible in G25.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Johnny ola For This Useful Post:

xripkan (09-12-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Hellenic
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-Z2103>R-Y155609
    mtDNA (M)
    W6c1a

Greece Greek Macedonia Empire of Trebizond Byzantine Empire
    Johny is correct, the Giresun kit seems close to the Pontic average, in the way that K23b models it as 50% Trabzon + 50% Assyrian/Armenian, and K13 has it as 91.1% Armenian + 8.9% Lebanese_Druze at a distance of 5% which makes perfect sense for a calculator with no Pontic Greek reference.

His father's kit's MDLP results seem close to mine, which makes me think that his father is probably a mix of a Balkan/Bulgarian-like population + Caucasus (another Pontic Greek). I also get the Greek Azov/Crimea Tatar oracle because the Crimean Greeks can be modelled as Slavic shifted Pontic Greeks, so I don't think there's necessarily Turkic genetics in his results.

So, if I read and understood his post correctly then he should research his clade in Thrace/East Balkans.
    55.8% Greek Central Macedonia + 44.2% Greek Trabzon @ 1.46

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dosas For This Useful Post:

Johnny ola (09-12-2020),  Kanenas (09-12-2020),  xripkan (09-12-2020)

Registered Users
    Ethnicity
    Polish, Greek
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    U152>Z36>R-FT330613

United States of America Poland Greece Empire of Trebizond Greek Macedonia
    About your Ydna i think it has a connection with Galatians but again this is more related with your father's origins and not with Pontic Greeks.Galatians never reached those lands at all!!!![/QUOTE]

This is the thing that still confuses me to be honest. The Greeks of Yenikoy Sile, Gallipoli, Eastern Thrace, what is their origin? Is this known? I have heard the term "Western Pontians" for these folks. Are they from the Greek mainland or the Western Coast of Turkey, and so are they not considered "Pontic Greeks"? I don't think it is entirely known what became of the Galatians after--possibly--the 5th century AD. But they were thought to have Hellenized and later Romanized. As for some other ideas for possible ethnicity of my paternal people, what about the Gagauz? The story of my great grandfather is that he was a shepherd from Romylia and I wonder if we could have Vlach/Bulgarian/Macedonia people in our ancestry as we have a few Romanian/Bulgarian/Macedonian matches. (what matches don't we have really?) I have spoken with someone in an ftdna study group who talked about a possible Karaite/Krymchak connection based on my autosomal matches, and the region of Moldova/Crimea seem a good fit for location. Not sure if this helps at all, but we have a fairly high match whose ancestors were fully from Yenikoy Sile and this person mentioned to me that they have an mtdna haplogroup of I5a1. My father is a match of both parents of this individual. We do not have any sources of mtdna in my family that would be from my father's paternal family. It's interesting to see that this rare haplogroup is found, if I remember correctly, in Iberia, Germany, and the British Isles. I came upon an Eastern Thracian kit with all 4 grandparents being from Eastern Thrace and they also seemed to have a connection to Northwestern Europe and a few Irish American type matches. I'm not sure that my paternal family is so exceptional to the region surrounding Constantinople.

Registered Users
    Ethnicity
    Polish, Greek
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    U152>Z36>R-FT330613

[QUOTE=dosas;699907]From what I understood from your post, you most distant known male ancestor is from the Marmara region, next to Istanbul? Your title seems a bit of misnomer, what did your paternal family side self-identify as and what language did they use primarily for intra-family communication?

I'm sorry for the confusion. I know that Pontic Greeks are usually from the Eastern areas of Anatolia, but I'm not sure how to characterize Western Greeks who also technically live near Pontus. And as for my family's communication, self identity: It is difficult to say. We had absolutely no contact with my paternal family after they were dispersed across the Soviet Union and Bloc. We were always told they were Greeks and I assume they spoke Greek. Recently I learned that our current surname, which comes up on wiktionary as an example of Romaniote surnames, was not our original surname and that my great grandfather in Romylia had a name ending in --dis. I know that this does not always mean Pontic Greek, but that is all that we know. What they identified as is a mystery to us. But I will tell you that I have current family members that speak of a very distinctive look for people with our surname. I do not know many of them, but I can see pictures of them on social media. Including my father and our known relatives, I would honestly say that a Central Asian element is not entirely out of the question. The Turkic/Siberian suggestion isn't entirely crazy in my opinion.
    Last edited by Marko47; 09-12-2020 at 04:34 PM.

Registered Users
    Ethnicity
    Polish, Greek
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    U152>Z36>R-FT330613

[QUOTE=dosas;699907]From what I understood from your post, you most distant known male ancestor is from the Marmara region, next to Istanbul?

Basically my father's earliest known paternal ancestor was from just outside of Istanbul in Şile. (Yenikoy) But this is where he lived before the Exchange of Populations. He was said to have originally been from Eastern Thrace. The thing I have heard recently from someone more knowledgeable about the area, is that it was common for Greeks in Yenikoy Sile to in earlier centuries (18th I think) to migrate to Eastern Thrace. So there is a possibility that the origin is in fact Şile after all. They were shepherds and this other source of information I am related to as a match, tells me that part of his people were shepherds too. Could they be Vlachs? The region they relocated to--near Edessa in Northern Greece--has a high concentration of Vlachs as well. Again, I do not know these people well at all, so I couldn't telly you if they were speakers of a Latin dialect or any other language. They identified 100% as Greeks and we were never told of any other affiliation. But as I mentioned in my first post, by all accounts, Yenikoy Sile was a Greek village with a Balkan population as well. Serbs and Bulgarians specifically, I have heard were very much a part of the community.

Registered Users
    Ethnicity
    Polish, Greek
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    U152>Z36>R-FT330613

Johnny, I have my G25 results.

43.6 Kura-Araxes_ARM_Kaps
    25.0 Anatolia_Tepecik_Ciftlik_N
    13.6 Yamnaya_RUS_Samara
    12.6 Anatolia_Barcin_N
    2.8 WHG
    2.4 IRN_Ganj_Dareh_N

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Marko47 For This Useful Post:

Agamemnon (09-13-2020),  Johnny ola (09-13-2020)

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast