Thread: 1% European Jew

Sex

1% European Jew

Hi all, just want a few opinions on this.

After the recent Ancestry update 1% European Jew has appeared. I am 3/4 English and 1/4 Pole. I'm surprised because from what I read Jewish DNA is easy to see so why was this not in last time? The confidence interval is 0-2%. I previously had 4% Baltic at 0% to 6% confidence that has disappeared. I also have no Jewish connections through DNA matches on Ancestry.

The guys at gedmatch think it's noise, I have 2 Jewish matches on gedmatch out of hundreds but the guys over there say that the chromosomes don't match and they're not real matches

I've lost alot of faith with Ancestry after alot of change on this latest update. Anyone else had this?

Sex
    Ethnicity
    NW Europe+Ash/Seph Jewish

England Star of David Netherlands Turkey Denmark Germany
    It could easily be noise, though that would go against the general trend at AncestryDNA of moving towards more conservative estimates with regard to trace percentages. Have you tested anywhere else or uploaded to other sites? GEDmatch oracles will probably be useless for such a small percentage. Global 25 could be helpful. If you have zero Jewish matches, though, that's a good sign that it's noise, or maybe an accumulation of traces of Jewish heritage from so far back that they don't produce viable segments for matching.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    English, Danish, Irish
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    I-Z58
    mtDNA (M)
    U5a2c

United States Grand Union England Denmark Ireland Leinster Ireland Munster
    Quote Originally Posted by Markgee View Post
    ...I'm surprised because from what I read Jewish DNA is easy to see so why was this not in last time? The confidence interval is 0-2%. ..
    I do feel AncestryDNA's analysis for "European Jewish" has been very accurate, in my case, for the last few updates. Mine shows up more than 1% but it isn't a large amount. My great-great grandmother was Jewish (on paper and in real life), so that trickles down to me as 1/16th or 6.25%. The last three updates are listed below:
    Date Amount Range
    Aug 2018 7% 1-11%
    Oct 2019 6% 2-9%
    Sept 2020 7% 0-10%

I am puzzled that the low end of the range went down to 0% this time.

Sex

I might purchase the upper scale gedmatch, thanks. That being said, I suppose if it had been in from the start I would be more inclined to believe it. The fact that Baltic disappeared at a higher % and this gets added in when it's supposedly unique DNA just makes me skeptical.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Celto-Germanic
    Nationality
    English
    Y-DNA (P)
    Possibly R1b
    mtDNA (M)
    H1a3a1

England North of England Ireland Scotland Germany Romani Star of David
    I know inheritance is different for everyone, but I have several Jewish matches on a particular segment of chromosome 15. Many of these are Iraqi Jews, but some Ashkenazim and Sephardim also match there. Admix Studio suggests it is of Middle Eastern Jewish origin. My last documented Iraqi Jewish ancestor lived in the seventh century.

While I have more recent Jewish ancestry, this is an example of how far back Jewish segments can go. I'm going to go with noise in your case.
    Last edited by mildlycurly; 09-21-2020 at 01:32 AM.
    Target: mildlycurly_scaled
    Distance: 1.3578% / 0.01357814
    57.0 Irish
    37.6 English
    2.6 Roma_Barcelona
    1.8 Ashkenazi_Germany
    1.0 Roma_Granada

Known ancestry: Irish (inc. Traveller), English, Scottish, Romanichal, German, Jewish (Ashkenazi+some Mizrahi), minor French, Spanish, Belgian, Norwegian and Berber. Distant Sami admix (from the Viking era) is also suspected.

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    mixed European
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    Dad: R1b/L21/DF63
    mtDNA (M)
    K2b2
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-M269
    mtDNA (P)
    K2b1a1a

United States of America England Wales Sweden Germany
    I'd assume 1% is noise absent Jewish matches.