Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Matches with People with No Overlapping Ancestry. Can Someone Explain?

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Nationality
    Australian & Irish
    Y-DNA (P)
    M222 (S588)
    mtDNA (M)
    J1c3f

Ireland Australia Ireland County Tipperary Ireland Munster

Matches with People with No Overlapping Ancestry. Can Someone Explain?

Not having looked at this too closely in the past and I'll look at other places where I've tested as well but can someone explain how this happens?

On MyHeritage the country I have the most matches outside of the UK and Ireland is Norway but I've noticed that for them they are nearly fully Scandinavian and I'm Irish, Scottish and Welsh. Has anyone got an explanation for this? If this is happening to me I'm sure many other people get a similar situation.

Some examples.

Loads of them like the above with no overlapping ethnicity. Has anyone looked into this and come up with an explanation?

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jessie For This Useful Post:

JMcB (07-12-2020),  JonikW (07-12-2020),  Phoebe Watts (07-13-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Slavic + Thracian
    Nationality
    Bulgarian
    Y-DNA (P)
    E-Y31991

Bulgaria European Union
    I noticed the same thing with people who are 100% Finnish. I think it is because their software is not really precise (huge differences between people from same ethnicity) and probably misses some small blocks.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Velislav For This Useful Post:

Jessie (07-12-2020),  JMcB (08-16-2020),  Luso (07-16-2020),  Riverman (07-22-2020)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Nationality
    Australian & Irish
    Y-DNA (P)
    M222 (S588)
    mtDNA (M)
    J1c3f

Ireland Australia Ireland County Tipperary Ireland Munster
    Quote Originally Posted by Velislav View Post
    I noticed the same thing with people who are 100% Finnish. I think it is because their software is not really precise (huge differences between people from same ethnicity) and probably misses some small blocks.
    I have some Finnish matches also with the same issue. No overlapping ethnicity.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jessie For This Useful Post:

JMcB (07-12-2020),  Phoebe Watts (07-13-2020),  Velislav (07-12-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Nationality
    Irish
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-FGC6545-FT122506
    mtDNA (M)
    H6a1b2h
    mtDNA (P)
    H27e

Ireland Ireland Connacht
    Well their ethnicity estimates aren't 100% accurate so that could explain why there are no shared ethnicities.
    Ancestry: Ireland (Paper trail ≅ 81.25% Roscommon, 12.5% Galway, 6.25% Mayo)
    Y-DNA (P) ancestor (Y): Kelly b. c1830 in Co. Roscommon (Uí Maine)
    mtDNA (P) ancestor: Fleming b. c1831 in Co. Roscommon
    mtDNA (M) ancestor: McDermott b. c1814 in Co. Roscommon
    mtDNA Great grandfather: Connella b. c1798 in Co. Roscommon (T2a1a8)
    Y-DNA 2x great grandfather: Higgins b. c1816 in Co. Roscommon (R-DF109)
    Y-DNA 3x great grandfather: Fleming b. c1829 in Co. Roscommon (R-Z23534)

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FionnSneachta For This Useful Post:

Jessie (07-12-2020),  JMcB (07-12-2020),  JonikW (07-12-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    mixed European
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    Dad: R1b/L21/DF63
    mtDNA (M)
    K2b2
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-M269
    mtDNA (P)
    K2b1a1a

United States of America England Wales Sweden Germany
    I have a number of Norwegian and Finnish matches on MyH that I think aren't real matches. Many of them don't match either of my parents. One of the Norwegian ones is a 33 cM match on 2 segments, but only matches my mother on one of them (22 cM). I suppose that one could be real (I have Swedish ancestry, so I show a little "Scandinavian" and that's our only overlapping ancestry, but all of his places are Norwegian and just given the pattern with other such matches I just think MyH shows a reasonably high rate of false matches.) Part of this is that I never get to my lower cM Ancestry matches, so they may be just as likely to be just pile-up zones or what not, and it's harder to tell because Ancestry is mostly Americans.

(If this guy is a real match, he could match my mother less than me since I uploaded Ancestry and her upload was from FTDNA.)

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to msmarjoribanks For This Useful Post:

Jessie (07-13-2020),  JMcB (08-16-2020),  JonikW (07-12-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Celtiberian
    Nationality
    Spanish
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-Y22889
    mtDNA (M)
    H3-T152C!

Spain Andalucia Spanish Empire (1506-1701)
    I have many matches that allegdly share segments 30+ cM. However, they do not match any of my parents.

My explanation is that some recombination of my parents dna happens to match IBDs of other people.

Due to the overrepresentation of Scandinavian and Jewish customers in MyHeritage, I find it normal to have people with these heritages among my "false" matches.
    Last edited by Shadogowah; 07-13-2020 at 10:57 AM.
    Do you have a question or topic about genetics in Spain and/or prefer to use Spanish language? Visit the new subforum!

Hidden Content

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Shadogowah For This Useful Post:

Jessie (07-13-2020),  JFWinstone (08-14-2020),  JMcB (08-16-2020),  msmarjoribanks (07-13-2020),  Saetro (08-18-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Breton & Maineau
    Nationality
    French
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-BY145002 (DF13+)
    mtDNA (M)
    U4c1a

France France Bretagne
    Are they IBP segments?

In other words, very common segments of the European population?

You can known it by looking if this segment is triangulated with other people..

If this is the case, it is a segment which is neither Scandinavian nor British, but European in general ...
    Y haplogroup: R1b: L21 --> DF13 --> BY145002
    The oldest L21 known are I2457 et I2565 from Stonehenge (Beaker Culture, 2400-1900 BC)

MTDNA: U4c1
    The oldest U4c1 known are "poz224", Yamnaya culture (2882-2698 BC), and 2 Bell-Beaker in Germany (Karsdorf, 2314-2042 BC)

Paternal MTDNA: K1b2b
    The oldest K1b2 are Eastern European Mesolithic: Kunda Donkalnis5 (Lithuania), 6000 BC and Meso-Ene Lepenski Vir Lepe28 in Serbia, 5900 BC.
    The oldest K1b2b is Alt-3, Corded-Ware Germany (2500 BC)

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Tolan For This Useful Post:

Jessie (07-13-2020),  jetshop (08-15-2020),  JMcB (08-16-2020),  msmarjoribanks (07-13-2020),  Saetro (08-18-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Mostly NW European
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    J-L210
    mtDNA (M)
    W5a2b

United States of America England France Germany Ireland Scotland
    I have matches like this at Myheritage, some at Ancestry too. I also think it’s because their ancestry composition is not very good. Also could be false matches, pile up region matches, etc. I’d be leery of their triangulation tool though. In my experience, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t. For instance, I have distant/surprising matches who triangulate with known closer matches. But if I click on the known closer matches, there are many more matches who should triangulate with the distant matches, same segment, and they don’t. It makes no sense. I would write off the distant/surprising matches but sometimes I match them other places like Gedmatch or Living dna, etc. It may be a flaw in Myheritage system. Not sure.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stefanie For This Useful Post:

Jessie (07-14-2020),  JMcB (08-16-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Celto-Germanic
    Nationality
    English
    Y-DNA (P)
    Possibly R1b
    mtDNA (M)
    H1a3a1

England North of England Ireland Scotland Germany Romani Star of David
    My theory is pred. Irish people often match with Scandinavians due to distant Viking ancestry. I too have a lot of Scandinavian/Finnish matches and the Viking era is the only significant influx of Scandinavians into Ireland I can think of (the English may also have contributed some Scandinavian to the Irish genome but in far smaller quantities).

Regardless, Myheritage ancestry estimates aren't very good at all. The matches give a better insight into your ancestry IMO.
    Target: mildlycurly_scaled
    Distance: 1.3578% / 0.01357814
    57.0 Irish
    37.6 English
    2.6 Roma_Barcelona
    1.8 Ashkenazi_Germany
    1.0 Roma_Granada

Current research interest(s): The Viscontis of Milan

18. The Following User Says Thank You to mildlycurly For This Useful Post:

Jessie (07-23-2020)

Sex
    Nationality
    Brazilian

In My Heritage I have dozens of matches with people from Great Britain and Ireland and it is informed that the person and I do not have ethnicities in common. In these cases their ethnicities are only Irish, Scottish, and Welsh and English, ethnicities that I supposedly do not have according to My Heritage. When I look at the segments of DNA I share with them frequently I find the same segments I share with people from Sweden, Norway and Denmark, and in this cases it is informed that I have Scandinavian ethnicity in common with them (ethnicity My Heritage recognizes for me). So in my opinion these people from Great Britain and Ireland have some Scandinavian ancestry and My Heritage does not recognize it for them. Conversily, I probably have some Irish, Scottish, and Welsh and probably English ethnicity and My Heritage does not recognize it for me, and more, I think my scandinavian ethnicity comes from people from Great Britain and Ireland.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Luiz Fernando For This Useful Post:

Jessie (07-23-2020)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast