Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: my origins 3.0 is really bad

Registered Users
    Sex
    Omitted
    mtDNA (M)
    U5a2a1

That reminds me of the controversies over "genetic astrology", sadly there has been a lot of hokum over the last 10 years, some of it advocated here and in the old DNA forums. Nice to see there is a web page documenting some of this.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to GailT For This Useful Post:

jadegreg (02-18-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    English and Irish
    Nationality
    British

England Ireland Connacht East Anglia England North of England United Kingdom Ireland
    So FTDNA is probably (mostly) inaccurate.

But one thing that I've noticed is that FTDNA shows similar kind of affinities to G25 and Eurogenes calculators.

Attachment 43440

If I add Polish, Finnish and Greek:

Target: Ancestry_scaled
    Distance: 1.6269% / 0.01626936
    63.8 Irish
    23.0 English
    11.2 Finnish
    2.0 Greek_Laconia

I often end up with balancing issues: Southern European, especially Spanish or Basque, balanced out with NE European, especially Cossacks.

So this leads me to believe that FTDNA is struggling to balance out my ancestry. Perhaps it doesn't have English samples which are more continental shifted so it's just trying to make something fit.

Registered Users
    Ethnicity
    Northern Ireland
    Nationality
    Northern Irish
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-L193(BY2634)
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-M222

Northern Ireland Ireland Scotland
    I think Great Britain literally means English in FTDNA. My matches have erratic variations between Ireland, GB and Central Europe.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    English and Irish
    Nationality
    British

England Ireland Connacht East Anglia England North of England United Kingdom Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by Nqp15hhu View Post
    I think Great Britain literally means English in FTDNA. My matches have erratic variations between Ireland, GB and Central Europe.
    They updated it to say England, Wales and Scotland. I'm using an old screenshot where my name has been edited out. My results are the same, however.

Some of my matches actually get fairly sane results, with a mixture of England, Ireland and 2-3% Scandinavian. Is it luck?

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Afro,Euro,Amerind
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    E-M85
    mtDNA (M)
    J1c14

United States of America
    FamilyTreeDNA is woefully inaccurate.

Mine:

My non-SubSaharan African admixture

Europe - 32% that includes:
    Ireland - 10%
    Scandinavia - 6%
    East Slavic - 9%
    Finland - 3%
    Malta & Sicily - 3%

Middle East - 18% that includes:
    Maghreb & Egypt - 18%

Mom's:

non-SubSaharan Admixture:

Europe - 85% that includes:
    Ireland: 22%
    Malta & Sicily - 19%
    Ashkenazi Jewish - 12%
    Iberian Peninsula - 11%
    Basque - 8%
    Magyar - 6%
    Central Europe - 4%
    Finnish - 4%
    Middle East - 4% that includes:
    Maghreb & Egypt: 4%
    Asia - <2% that includes
    Indus Valley - <2%
    Americas - 1% that includes
    Amerindian - Central & South Mexico - 1%

percentages not from my mother that imply inheritance from my father:
    Maghreb & Egypt - 14%
    Scandinavia - 6% (she has none)
    East Slavic - 9% (she has none)

according to FTDNA, 29% of my non-SubSaharan African came from my African American father
    according to my phased data at 23andme, I inherited less than 5% non-SubSaharan African from my father
    FTDNA is obviously not phasing the data between parent and child.

My mom got 12 percent Ashkenazi Jewish, and I didn't get any. My maternal grandmother's mother was an Ashkenazi. I gets lot of matches that are of Ashkenazi Jewish ancestry. That's just part of what's wrong with this update.

FTDNA gave me 10 percent Irish. I have a little Irish but not that much. My maternal grandmother's father's ancestry was mainly English with some Scottish, Irish, German, Swiss, Dutch, Welsh and Frisian. I also have some English on my African American father's side. I didn't get any French even though I have a lot of matches that are of Acadian ancestry. I had a paternal 4th Great Grandmother that's 3/4 Acadian who married my plantation slave-owning English American 4th Great Grandfather. The vast majority of my "white" paternal DNA relative matches are on my predominantly Acadian paternal 4th Great Grandmother's side.

I didn't get any Iberian even though my maternal grandfather's ancestry was Cape Verdean, Madeiran, Puerto Rican, and Azorean and identified as a Portagee. I get lots of DNA relative matches of that ancestry.

I didn't get any Amerindian ancestry , but every other DNA company gives me some. I have Amerindian segments on both my paternal and maternal chromosomes with the largest Amerindian segment being on paternal Chromosome 9. My maternal grandfather's maternal grandfather was from Puerto Rico, and I am sure that the Amerindian ancestry on my maternal chromosomes is Taino.

I have significant amount of Ashkenazi Jewish, Iberian, and British ancestry and none of it showed up in the FTDNA update.
    I was given 51 percent Sub-Saharan African which seems about right, but I don't know how accurate the African breakdown is due to not knowing my Sub-Saharan African roots due to the Transatlantic Slavetrade.
    paternal ancestry is African American with English and Acadian
    maternal ancestry is Cape Verdean, Ashkenazi Jewish (from Romania and Latvia), Puerto Rican, Madeiran, Azorean, English, Scottish, German, Irish, Swiss, Welsh, Dutch, Frisian

Eurogenes K13
    Sub_Saharan 47.34%
    North_Atlantic 18.75%
    West_Med 9.90%
    East_Med 6.70%
    Baltic 4.70%
    Northeast_African 3.60%
    West_Asian 2.73%
    Amerindian 2.38%
    Red_Sea 1.86%
    East_Asian 1.20%
    Siberian 0.64%
    Oceanian 0.11%
    South Asian 0.10%

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Ger.-Brit.-Catalan-more
    Nationality
    (U.S.) American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-YP619*
    mtDNA (M)
    H1bg

United Kingdom Germany Bayern Catalonia France Ireland Switzerland
    Quote Originally Posted by Glaucus View Post
    FamilyTreeDNA is woefully inaccurate.

Mine:

My non-SubSaharan African admixture

Europe - 32% that includes:
    Ireland - 10%
    Scandinavia - 6%
    East Slavic - 9%
    Finland - 3%
    Malta & Sicily - 3%

Middle East - 18% that includes:
    Maghreb & Egypt - 18%

Mom's:

non-SubSaharan Admixture:

Europe - 85% that includes:
    Ireland: 22%
    Malta & Sicily - 19%
    Ashkenazi Jewish - 12%
    Iberian Peninsula - 11%
    Basque - 8%
    Magyar - 6%
    Central Europe - 4%
    Finnish - 4%
    Middle East - 4% that includes:
    Maghreb & Egypt: 4%
    Asia - <2% that includes
    Indus Valley - <2%
    Americas - 1% that includes
    Amerindian - Central & South Mexico - 1%

percentages not from my mother that imply inheritance from my father:
    Maghreb & Egypt - 14%
    Scandinavia - 6% (she has none)
    East Slavic - 9% (she has none)

according to FTDNA, 29% of my non-SubSaharan African came from my African American father
    according to my phased data at 23andme, I inherited less than 5% non-SubSaharan African from my father
    FTDNA is obviously not phasing the data between parent and child.

My mom got 12 percent Ashkenazi Jewish, and I didn't get any. My maternal grandmother's mother was an Ashkenazi. I gets lot of matches that are of Ashkenazi Jewish ancestry. That's just part of what's wrong with this update.

FTDNA gave me 10 percent Irish. I have a little Irish but not that much. My maternal grandmother's father's ancestry was mainly English with some Scottish, Irish, German, Swiss, Dutch, Welsh and Frisian. I also have some English on my African American father's side. I didn't get any French even though I have a lot of matches that are of Acadian ancestry. I had a paternal 4th Great Grandmother that's 3/4 Acadian who married my plantation slave-owning English American 4th Great Grandfather. The vast majority of my "white" paternal DNA relative matches are on my predominantly Acadian paternal 4th Great Grandmother's side.

I didn't get any Iberian even though my maternal grandfather's ancestry was Cape Verdean, Madeiran, Puerto Rican, and Azorean and identified as a Portagee. I get lots of DNA relative matches of that ancestry.

I didn't get any Amerindian ancestry , but every other DNA company gives me some. I have Amerindian segments on both my paternal and maternal chromosomes with the largest Amerindian segment being on paternal Chromosome 9. My maternal grandfather's maternal grandfather was from Puerto Rico, and I am sure that the Amerindian ancestry on my maternal chromosomes is Taino.

I have significant amount of Ashkenazi Jewish, Iberian, and British ancestry and none of it showed up in the FTDNA update.
    I was given 51 percent Sub-Saharan African which seems about right, but I don't know how accurate the African breakdown is due to not knowing my Sub-Saharan African roots due to the Transatlantic Slavetrade.
    When I first saw my own MyOrigins 3.0 results, it didn't seem too horrible. Certainly they were better than the previous version. Trouble was, when I began to compare my results to my father's, and his results to the rest of the offspring, and their results to each other -- well, that's when it became clear that there were problems.

For example, there was the fact that MyOrigins 3.0 claims my father has 95% "England, Wales, and Scotland" at the same time that it claims I have only 4%. And anyone who hollers "NPE" should know that our DNA matching absolutely shows that we are father and son. We share about 50%, across the entirety of all of the autosomes. (We share a Y chromosome, too, of course, but that isn't really used in matching unless both parties have had STR testing or Big Y or something like that.)

Even if I inherited my 4% "England, Wales, and Scotland" from my father and the entirety of his non-England, Wales, and Scotland (5%), that still only accounts for 9%. Where's the other 41% that's from my father? Also, MyOrigins 3.0 says I have 54% "Central Europe", while my father has 0. Even if my mother had 100% "Central Europe" -- which is not the case -- where did the extra 4% come from? All I could have inherited from my mother is 50%.

But there's more. I have 21% "Ireland", according to MyOrigins. If it didn't come from my father -- who supposedly doesn't have any "Ireland", it must be from my mother. But wait, how then can she have given me that 50% "Central Europe"? There's also 15% "Iberian Peninsula" that didn't come from my father, so -- oops! -- there's that much else that has to be subtracted from my mother's half. Oh, and 3% "Malta".

This is without even looking at my full siblings' results. It turns out that our mother's total DNA must add up to much more than 100% for her to have contributed to us everything that our father couldn't. Unless, of course, FTDNA is simply wrong in its accessment of our father's DNA, or of the DNA of some combination (or all) of the offspring.

In matching terms, all of the relationships "fit" -- that is, we have the same mother and father, and the man we thought was our father really was. So it's clear that MyOrigins 3.0 has some real issues.
    Besides British-German-Catalan, ancestry includes smaller amounts of French, Irish, Swiss, Choctaw & another NA tribe, possibly Catawba. Avatar picture is: my father, his father, & his father's father; baby is my eldest brother.

GB

8. The Following User Says Thank You to geebee For This Useful Post:

Glaucus (06-23-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Human
    Y-DNA (P)
    J2a
    mtDNA (M)
    H6a1a

Great Seljuk Empire
    My origins is really bad imo

Middle East & North Africa
    71%
    Middle East
    Anatolia, Armenia, & Mesopotamia
    64%
    Druze
    5%
    Arabia
    Arabian Peninsula
    info
    <1%
    Europe
    20%
    Eastern Europe
    East Slavic
    10%
    Magyar
    info
    <1%
    Southern Europe
    Italian Peninsula
    7%
    Iberian Peninsula
    info
    <1%
    European Jewish
    Ashkenazi Jewish
    info
    <2%
    Asia
    9%
    Central Asia
    Southern Siberia
    4%
    Mongolia
    3%
    Indian Subcontinent
    Eastern India
    2%

How in the hell do I receive Eastern India? And why do they show me a large piece of Slavic DNA?

My mother’s got also strange results. Before the update she received mostly Anatolian and only 25 percent European.

Europe
    52%
    Southern Europe
    Italian Peninsula
    43%
    Eastern Europe
    East Slavic
    6%
    European Jewish
    Ashkenazi Jewish
    3%
    Middle East & North Africa
    32%
    Middle East
    Anatolia, Armenia, & Mesopotamia
    25%

Caucasus
    Northern Caucasus
    6%

Middle East Jewish
    Mizrahi Jewish
    <1%
    Asia
    17%
    Central Asia
    Mongolia
    8%
    Southern Siberia
    7%
    Indian Subcontinent
    Southern India
    info
    <2%
    Central Siberia
    Yakut
    <1%

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-DF49>FT285982
    mtDNA (M)
    H3
    Y-DNA (M)
    G-Z39308

Am I the only one whose results are pretty good? Ratios are a bit off, and it gives me a little bit of Iberian and Mizrahi which are both unlikely, but it's certainly better than MyHeritage (which is almost entirely wrong for me). I'd say it's about on par with or slightly better than my Ancestry results. My Ancestry results get worse with each update. 23andme has remained broadly accurate.

Paternal: Jew I. Jewett b.~1800 Albany County, New York, USA
    Maternal: Elizabeth Ann (Bennet?) b.~1850 Peters Marland, Devon, England
    Mother's Paternal: Domenico Mecca b.~1750 Avigliano, Basilicata, Italy

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Afro,Euro,Amerind
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    E-M85
    mtDNA (M)
    J1c14

United States of America
    Quote Originally Posted by cuan View Post
    Am I the only one whose results are pretty good? Ratios are a bit off, and it gives me a little bit of Iberian and Mizrahi which are both unlikely, but it's certainly better than MyHeritage (which is almost entirely wrong for me). I'd say it's about on par with or slightly better than my Ancestry results. My Ancestry results get worse with each update. 23andme has remained broadly accurate.

My MyHeritage Ethnic Analysis is woefully inaccurate too, but my FamilyTreeDNA Ethnic Analysis is worse than it.

Here is my MyHeritage Ethnic Analyis

Africa
    50.1%

West Africa
    44.0%
    Nigerian
    27.9%
    West African
    12.1%
    Sierra Leonean
    4.0%

East Africa
    5.2%
    Maasai
    5.2%

North Africa
    0.9%
    North African
    0.9%

Europe
    46.3%

South Europe
    43.2%
    Italian
    26.9%
    Iberian
    16.3%

North and West Europe
    3.1%
    Finnish
    3.1%

America

3.6%

Central America
    3.6%
    Central American
    3.6%

My Genealogical ancestry

My Louisianan father's ancestry was mostly Sub-Saharan African.

My Louisianan paternal grandfather was an African American. I was told that he had some roots in Jamaica.

His mother was a Voodoo Spiritualist, and I suspect that she had some roots in Haiti.

My Y DNA haplogroup is E-M85 (E2b1a), and so my patrilineal ancestry is Sub-Saharan African.

My Louisianan paternal grandmother was an African American with some Acadian (17th Century French settlers in Eastern Canadian Maritime Provinces) and English Virginian Colonial ancestry (17th Century). My paternal grandmother's maternal grandfather's father was the son of an Anglo-American man and a Cajun woman who was mostly Acadian with some English.

Two people in Denmark match me on my paternal Chromosome 1, and that shows that my father had Danish ancestors. On my Cajun paternal 4th Great Grandmother's side, I have a paternal 7th Great Grandmother named Anne Scalsen.

I have some paternal Amerindian chromosome segments which shows that my father had Amerindian ancestors.

My Californian mother's ancestry is mostly European.

My mother's ancestry is very mixed and diverse, and so I have to break it down.

My Californian maternal grandfather's paternal grandparents were immigrants from the Cape Verde Islands which belonged to Portugal until 1975. They were of mixed Portuguese and Sub-Saharan African ancestry. My maternal grandfather's maternal grandmother's parents were immigrants from the Madeira Islands that belong to Portugal. My maternal grandfather's mitochondrial haplogroup was L0a0a2 which indicates a Sub-Saharan African matrilineal ancestry in the Madeiran ancestors. My maternal grandfather's maternal grandmother's paternal grandfather was born in the Azores that belong to Portugal. My maternal grandfather's maternal grandfather was an immigrant from Puerto Rico. He was of mixed Spanish, Sub-Saharan African, and Taino ancestry. I suspect that there was Sephardic Jewish ancestry in all the relatives that I mentioned.

My Californian maternal grandmother was a bit of a Euro-mix. My maternal grandmother's father was the descendant of American Colonial lines (family lines came to USA in the 17th Century and 18th Century) that are English, Scottish, Irish, German, Swiss, Welsh, Dutch, and Frisian.

My maternal grandmother's mother was Ashkenazi Jewish. Her father and his parents immigrated from Romania which is located in Southeastern Europe. Her mother and her parents immigrated from Latvia which is one of the three Baltic countries located in Northeastern Europe.

My mitochondrial DNA haplogroup is J1c14 which is found in Central and Eastern Europe, and my mitochondrial DNA matches are people with Ashkenazi Jewish ancestry.

My mother has Danish DNA relative matches on Chromosome 4. She has Norwegian DNA relative matches on Chromosomes 1, 3, and 6. She has Swedish DNA relative matches on Chromosome 19. She has Italian DNA relative matches on Chromosomes 1 and 2.
    paternal ancestry is African American with English and Acadian
    maternal ancestry is Cape Verdean, Ashkenazi Jewish (from Romania and Latvia), Puerto Rican, Madeiran, Azorean, English, Scottish, German, Irish, Swiss, Welsh, Dutch, Frisian

Eurogenes K13
    Sub_Saharan 47.34%
    North_Atlantic 18.75%
    West_Med 9.90%
    East_Med 6.70%
    Baltic 4.70%
    Northeast_African 3.60%
    West_Asian 2.73%
    Amerindian 2.38%
    Red_Sea 1.86%
    East_Asian 1.20%
    Siberian 0.64%
    Oceanian 0.11%
    South Asian 0.10%

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Omitted
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA (P)
    E-V32>E-FT385910
    mtDNA (M)
    L0a1d1*
    Y-DNA (M)
    T-FGC92488

Somaliland Adal Sultanate Yemen African Union Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by cuan View Post
    My FTDNA results are my most accurate commercial results.I guess itís kinda hit & miss for some ethnicities.It seems pretty good for Horners tbh
    FTDNA myorigins 3.0:
    Eritrea, Northern Ethiopia & Somalia
    94%
    Yemenite Jewish
    6%

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast