Thread: Is there any way to identify who the father of this man is?

Registered Users
    Ethnicity
    Northern Ireland
    Nationality
    Northern Irish
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-L193(BY2634)

Northern Ireland Ireland Scotland

Is there any way to identify who the father of this man is?

I have identified that a relative is borne out of an affair and want to see if I could identify the surname of the father or the country of origin.

This person was born into an Ulster Catholic family but has almost 50% GB in their dna, so I am assuming their father is British or Ulster Protestant because the rest of the family does not score these results.

I have their Gedmatch. Would I be able to do anything with that?

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nqp15hhu For This Useful Post:

jstephan (09-25-2020),  Nino90 (09-24-2020)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    mixed European
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    Dad: R1b/L21/DF63
    mtDNA (M)
    K2b2
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-M269
    mtDNA (P)
    K2b1a1a

United States of America England Wales Sweden Germany
    How close are the closest matches?

Registered Users
    Ethnicity
    Northern Ireland
    Nationality
    Northern Irish
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-L193(BY2634)

Northern Ireland Ireland Scotland
    Beyond our line, around 80cm

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Ger.-Brit.-Catalan-more
    Nationality
    (U.S.) American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-YP619*
    mtDNA (M)
    H1bg

United Kingdom Germany Bayern Catalonia France Ireland Switzerland
    Quote Originally Posted by Nqp15hhu View Post
    I have identified that a relative is borne out of an affair and want to see if I could identify the surname of the father or the country of origin.

This person was born into an Ulster Catholic family but has almost 50% GB in their dna, so I am assuming their father is British or Ulster Protestant because the rest of the family does not score these results.

I have their Gedmatch. Would I be able to do anything with that?
    You really can't necessarily assume too much based on a person's reported ethnicity from any DNA test.

For example, my father now gets 95% Great Britain in MyOrigins 3.0. Based on that, you'd think that every one of his six children should have at least something close to 50% -- in fact, not less than about 45%. But guess what? I get only 4%. Another sibling gets 19% and still another gets 26%. In fact, only two siblings -- out of six -- get more than 45%.

The reason is, FTDNA's estimate of 95% Great Britain is just flat-out wrong. He is no more than about 31% "British & Irish" and 69% "German". That's how I manage to get 54% Central Europe in my own MyOrigins 3.0 estimate. This is not from my mother, who only have a small amount of Swiss and Alsatian ancestry -- no German as such. (Though she does have a small amount of "French" that would likely contribute to Central Europe.)

Again, my point is just that you can reliably use matching to identify a possible -- or unlikely -- father. You can't really use an "ethnicity" estimate.

EDIT:

I'm not saying you're on the wrong track. Just take any estimate of a person's "ethnicity" with a grain of salt. Some companies may be more reliable than others, but some really aren't reliable at all -- at least, not for everyone.
    Last edited by geebee; 09-26-2020 at 03:28 AM.
    Besides British-German-Catalan, ancestry includes smaller amounts of French, Irish, Swiss, Choctaw & another NA tribe, possibly Catawba. Avatar picture is: my father, his father, & his father's father; baby is my eldest brother.

GB

6. The Following User Says Thank You to geebee For This Useful Post:

Mis (09-26-2020)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    mixed European
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    Dad: R1b/L21/DF63
    mtDNA (M)
    K2b2
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-M269
    mtDNA (P)
    K2b1a1a

United States of America England Wales Sweden Germany
    Quote Originally Posted by Nqp15hhu View Post
    Beyond our line, around 80cm
    See if you can use in common with and clustering to figure out which matches are on the side you know/are related to (I assume the mother), and which are on the unknown side. Then focus on the closest relatives who are on the unknown side. It's harder to do when the closest are only 80 cM, and whether it is successful will depend on how many relatives turn up with a reasonable amount of DNA in common (for example, if you have a number of matches with 60-80 cM, it could work, but if on suspected unknown side they are all under 50 cM, it might not be possible).

Where is the actual test? Depending on the site there could be some good matches there that are not at Gedmatch.