Thread: Confused new member

Sex

Post Confused new member

My brother has had his deep DNA test done with Britains DNA as our family tree has been traced back to 1549 in Somerset, England, and I'm interested to find out where we were before then,and where we came from. All is ok until we get to R1b-S21 with the next step as S263.
    There is then a note saying our subtype S263 without the downstream S264, S29, S170, S268 or S266 is somewhat rare.
    They also give you a phylogenetic tree so we can see where we fit in with everybody else but sure enough, after the S263 branch, none of the numbers match up with my families.
    I now have no idea where we fit in apart from the fact that we are Germanic.
    I know this probably sounds stupid but I'm totally new to this. Did the people bearing the S263 gene change to different gene numbers while they were on the continent, or after they arrived in Britain. The phylogenic tree gives no idea of time.
    Why does nothing after S263 appear? The next number on our signature is S26903+. I can send the whole signature if it would help.
    Does anybody else have the same problem and is there anywhere where we can compare to find other people from our tribes,so to speak.

Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-CTS4299+
    mtDNA (M)
    H2a2a1

Quote Originally Posted by Pennybeel View Post
    My brother has had his deep DNA test done with Britains DNA as our family tree has been traced back to 1549 in Somerset, England, and I'm interested to find out where we were before then,and where we came from. All is ok until we get to R1b-S21 with the next step as S263.
    There is then a note saying our subtype S263 without the downstream S264, S29, S170, S268 or S266 is somewhat rare.
    They also give you a phylogenetic tree so we can see where we fit in with everybody else but sure enough, after the S263 branch, none of the numbers match up with my families.
    I now have no idea where we fit in apart from the fact that we are Germanic.
    I know this probably sounds stupid but I'm totally new to this. Did the people bearing the S263 gene change to different gene numbers while they were on the continent, or after they arrived in Britain. The phylogenic tree gives no idea of time.
    Why does nothing after S263 appear? The next number on our signature is S26903+. I can send the whole signature if it would help.
    Does anybody else have the same problem and is there anywhere where we can compare to find other people from our tribes,so to speak.
    S263+ is another name for R-Z381+.

Now that I know that your brother has R-U106+, I think that your next step is this: please post your questions concerning your brother's Y chromosome SNPs in Anthrogenica's R-U106+ forum.

Stephen

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Great Migration Colonists
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-U106 (S10415)
    mtDNA (M)
    J1c2g (FMS)
    Y-DNA (M)
    I1a-P109 (23andMe)
    mtDNA (P)
    T2b3 (23andMe)

United States Gadsden England Scotland Ireland Wales
    Pennybeel,
    I have sent you a Private message. You should be able to access it from your "Notifications" at the top of your Anthrogenica Screen.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b
    mtDNA (M)
    H

Quote Originally Posted by Pennybeel View Post
    The best thing I know of is the project system that FTDNA has where there are projects for sorting out relationships between groups in clans, in geographies and my surname... some even by ethnicity.

I think their database to match with is in the hundreds of thousands now.

This brings out the importance of Y STR testing. Y SNP testing is of utmost importance but can be very expensive to get down to a genetic genealogy level. For the most part, the standard in R1b is 67 STRs but it is quickly moving to 111 STRs. The key here is that STR testing is different than SNP testing. SNP testing is scanning millions of locations in search for the on (derived) versus off (ancestral) reading. That's it, they either on or off. STRs have a variety of readings depending on the STR and the testing consistency is prevalent be it 67 or 111. What I mean is everyone is tested at the same 67 or 111 STR positions, which is a contrast to SNPs being scanned by the millions where every person tested may have some no calls or not be tested at the same SNP positions depending on the company testing, the package and the vintage of the package.

For genetic genealogy you have to do comparisons. Having at least 67 STRs gives you large matching database all scored at the same 67 positions.

This does not mean I think SNP testing is less important. I just think that for the multitudes of people who won't do expensive large Next Generation Sequencing ($700 to $1200) types of tests, registering in the large matching database of STRs is a good way to sight their rifle scope so you know what SNPs to consider. I think 111 STRs is the way to go for this, but at least 67 gets you in the ballgame.