Sex
    Ethnicity
    Polish
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-Z2552
    mtDNA (M)
    W6a

Poland European Union Poland Pomerania
    I am currently waiting for my results from two more companies.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Moldovan/Romanian
    Y-DNA (P)
    I-PH908*, DYS561=15
    mtDNA (M)
    T2a1b1a

Moldova Romania European Union
    Merge them all in one file and that will be the most accurate.
    Recent ancestry: 2/4 Central Moldova (Orhei district), 1/4 Southern Moldova (Cahul district), 1/4 Northern Moldova (Briceni district)
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Dorkymon For This Useful Post:

Tomenable (06-08-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex

Quote Originally Posted by Tomenable View Post
    I am currently waiting for my results from two more companies.
    Which companies?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Aiden For This Useful Post:

Tomenable (06-10-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex

I have tried almost every company. Here is the order I believe.

- 23andme/ancestry interchangeable, both good estimates, both had a few things that could have been better

- myheritage bad percentages, but the vague estimates and groups were good.

- ftdna starting to go down the shit scale, they at least had every category that I should have but seems to have been quite random in other percentages, overall, it's not as bad as what's to come, but not great compared to the others.

- Living DNA absolutely horrible estimates, I really should get a refund from both purchases I made.

-Dna Genics I never thought that anything could be worse then Living DNA, but now dna genics has taken the worst spot. This estimate told me I was 100% German, and if any of you remember explaining my ethnicity before, I am far from being 100% anything. Another company I should really be able to get a refund from. And don't even get me started on the "shared origins" that's incredibly random.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cowboy For This Useful Post:

Riverman (06-08-2021),  Tomenable (06-10-2021)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    India Andhra Kamma Telugu
    Nationality
    US
    Y-DNA (P)
    HM82 Z5890+CTS8144+
    mtDNA (M)
    U2a1a2
    Y-DNA (M)
    HM69 (<-J2b2 <-L1a)

United States of America India Hyderabad State Dutch East India Company Chola Empire
    I tried all the companies
    - Dante seems to have a good coverage. WGS is good encompasses 23andme, ftdna etc...
    - 23andme has good ethnicity estimator and shows accurate relative lists. Also catches Indian Vs Arab vs Italian etc...
    - Ancestry seems to show scaled results however the ethnicity estimator is pretty good but doesn't show more subcategories like 23andme.
    - myHeritage shows some rare snps not covered by other from East Europe/Steppe and Scandinavia also pretty strong in North Europe matches
    - Living DNA has some extra SNP coverage on Indian samples
    - YSEQ has separate SNP tests that are very relevant
    - FTDNA shows better overall coverage and matches are strong on Jewish, Romani, USA matches.
    Y: H1a1a4b3b1a8 Yfull id-> YF83218
    Medals->Hidden Content
    mtDNA:U2a1a2
    G25 Ancients Dist 1.0 IRN_Shahr_I_Sokhta_BA2 88.4 MAR_Taforalt 2.6NPL_Mebrak 5
    VK2020_SWE_Gotland_VA 4 Hidden Content

Lactose Persistence rs3213871 rs4988243 rs4988183 rs3769005 rs2236783
    found -> DA125, Kangju

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tipirneni For This Useful Post:

Cascio (06-10-2021),  Riverman (06-09-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Polish
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-Z2552
    mtDNA (M)
    W6a

Quote Originally Posted by Aiden View Post
    Which companies?
    Ancestry.com and All-In-One Pack from 24Genetics.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Polish
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-Z2552
    mtDNA (M)
    W6a

Quote Originally Posted by Aiden View Post
    I'm starting to have the belief that these tests are getting worse as they continue to try to narrow down to specific regions, because it's causing many people to question their results completely. For example, someone who is German without knowledge of population genetics (average consumer basically) takes a DNA test, results show British+ Scandinavian (no German) now this individual doesn't think they're German at all or is upset and thinks the test is totally bogus. In reality, German, British, Scandinavian are genetically pretty similar and difficult to differentiate, so why can't these tests just be more truthful by having a broader "Germanic" or "Northwestern Europe" result for such individuals instead? Look at how many English people score Irish, how many French score Iberian, how many Dutch score English. it's all a huge mess when it shouldn't be.

The more broader the results (Northern European, Southern European, Eastern European, West Africa, East Africa, West Asia, East Asia, etc) the MORE ACCURATE it seems to be and causes less of a headache. If these DNA tests kept things simple and showed only strictly broad continental results, it would prove more beneficial. When they try to do specific region or sub region results, it can become confusing and even be INACCURATE for people. Having very specific and sub regional results are all the rage though, people want to know how German they are or what specific region in India they come from. Given the flaws of such results though I would much prefer a commercial test that is more broadly and accurate, then super specific and prone to errors.
    I disagree.

I believe that the tests are getting both more specific AND more accurate as time goes by. What you suggested is going back to "Medieval times" (figuratively), when DNA tests had only broad categories. That's not how breakthroughs in science are made. Instead, there should be a strong competitive pressure on making the results even more specific.

High level of accuracy combined with highly specific regional breakdowns CAN be achieved.

Look at how many English people score Irish
    They are autosomally closer to the Irish than to most Germans.

Here you made a blooper by suggesting that DNA tests should lump up together Germany with England, but report Ireland separately from that "Anglo-German" category. When in fact England is autosomally more closely related to Ireland than to most of Germany.

how many French score Iberian
    Well Occitans are closely related e.g. to Catalans and to Spanish people from the Baleares, while Aquitanians & Gascons are closely related to the Basques and to Northern Spain in general. It should not confuse anyone familiar with history and linguistics (and if you research genealogy you should also know some history as well).

how many Dutch score English
    How many? It probably depends on the region of the Netherlands.

But I think the opposite - English scoring Dutch - is more common.
    Last edited by Tomenable; 06-10-2021 at 11:49 PM.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tomenable For This Useful Post:

jstephan (06-11-2021),  Riverman (06-11-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex

Quote Originally Posted by Tomenable View Post
    How many? It probably depends on the region of the Netherlands.

But I think the opposite - English scoring Dutch - is more common.
    I agree with all the rest, but in this case, yes, even North Western Germans have a big overlap with the English and the Dutch even more so. But that's just natural, they have shared ancestry. And like you said, any kind of bigger category would just result in shifting the problem. Like there just is a gradient and overlap between Irish-Scottish-English-Dutch-German. People just need to know the prehistory and history of a region and people to interpret the results correctly. And yes, they will improve over time, as they did in the last couple of years. 23andme improved by a lot with every update. Just one update went wrong, for many, but it was fixed soon afterwards by a better one.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Riverman For This Useful Post:

Tomenable (06-11-2021)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    SGC+TRB Creool
    Nationality
    NL
    Y-DNA (P)
    E-V22

Netherlands
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
    I agree with all the rest, but in this case, yes, even North Western Germans have a big overlap with the English and the Dutch even more so. But that's just natural, they have shared ancestry. And like you said, any kind of bigger category would just result in shifting the problem. Like there just is a gradient and overlap between Irish-Scottish-English-Dutch-German. People just need to know the prehistory and history of a region and people to interpret the results correctly. And yes, they will improve over time, as they did in the last couple of years. 23andme improved by a lot with every update. Just one update went wrong, for many, but it was fixed soon afterwards by a better one.
    North Dutch overlap with Danes....South Dutch more with Belgium.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Finn For This Useful Post:

Tomenable (06-11-2021)

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789