Thread: Comet Neowise, and memories of Comet Hale-Bopp

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    DF27, FGC15733
    mtDNA (M)
    T2f3

Comet Neowise, and memories of Comet Hale-Bopp

Although I have participated on Anthrogenica since 2013, it somehow had escaped my attention that the forum has a subgroup for astronomy. So I had, at different times, posted my (only) two decent astrophotos in The Lounge, on a photography subgroup. In case anybody here is more interested in comets than photography, as such, I'll paste in a couple of links. The second one will be from Facebook, sorry about that, but it isn't my work so I don't have a better way to upload Canadian photographer Tim Yaworski's composite image -- showing two great comets in the same star field, separated by 23 years.

https://anthrogenica.com/showthread....l=1#post688187

https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=...29940937024402

My photos as posted here had pretty verbose captions, that I won't repeat. I will mention that in the case of Neowise, what I previously uploaded was my digital photo of a 4x6 color print, that had just come back from the developer (remember that obsolete process?); and what I had identified in my July 24th caption as a "lightning bug" was actually a blemish caused by debris on the negative, when my prints were made. Some weeks later I scanned that negative, having first swiped a camel's hair brush over it, and the white "bug" disappeared. I've tried to upload that separate, and somewhat better, digitized photo of Comet Neowise, here -- but failed. I think the site's necessary defense mechanisms prevent some types of upload, even by us trusted forum members.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to razyn For This Useful Post:

Dave-V (10-04-2020),  JMcB (10-03-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-L21 L513*

United States of America Ireland Germany Belgium Wallonia
    It's safe to say that the word "astrophotographer" will never be used in reference to me, and I don't have many night sky shots to my credit. But I was lucky enough to be on an island in the middle of Lake Huron in July when the comet Neowise was visible, and I managed to at least capture one good picture of it. This is looking out over Lake Huron at dusk with a digital camera which did capture more than the visible eye could see, but the comet was still nearly as stunning in the sky. The red lights at the bottom were lights on the shore on the mainland across the lake.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1rZE...ew?usp=sharing

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Dave-V For This Useful Post:

razyn (10-04-2020)