Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: What is the Scottish component composed of?

Registered Users
    Ethnicity
    Northern Ireland
    Nationality
    Northern Irish
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-L193(BY2634)

Northern Ireland Ireland Scotland

What is the Scottish component composed of?

I have known about distant Scottish ancestry in my heritage, so I do not question that I have it. What I question is the amount.

On AncestryDNA I am allocated 37%, which isnít out of question. However, a lot of other sites mark me as 90% Irish.

I am now feeling confused about what my heritage actually is. Further to this, the recent FTDNA update has brought about additional questions.

- Some of my matches have 100% Irish in Ancestry but 20% GB in FTDNA?? What? How can this be the case?
    - Is the Scottish component a western Scottish component? I ask because I note that most of my pure Ulster Irish matches are recording a background 10-20% Scottish in the AncestryDNA test. Can one assume Gallowglass is present in most people here?

I am viewing the Irish components as a Celtic component for Scotland and Ireland. I donít believe I am 100% Irish. So perhaps the Scottish component is influenced by Irish migrations??

I am just questioning what my true ethnic make up is, as my results are so conflicting.
    Last edited by Nqp15hhu; 10-07-2020 at 11:26 AM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Nqp15hhu For This Useful Post:

kujira692 (10-07-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    European-Blend
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA (P)
    I-Z59

Ireland Canada Quebec Germany Palatinate England Netherlands Scotland
    My mother is mostly English on her mother's side (Essex/Suffolk boarder & Kent who immigrated to Canada mid- to late-1800s), and Irish & Scottish on her father's side (Argyll in Scotland, and Sligo & Cavan & Down in Ireland, with immigration happening early 1800s).

She gets 44% England & Northwest Europe, and 44% Scotland.

Now I'm pretty sure the ancestors from Down came from Scotland a few generations earlier, but otherwise that's the mix. Hope this information could be useful to you!

Edit 1: also all her Irish ancestors were Protestant Methodists.
    Last edited by kujira692; 10-07-2020 at 12:51 PM.
    AncestryDNA Genetic Communities
    Father: Canadian Maritimes Acadian, Newfoundland & Southeastern Labrador Settlers, Nova Scotia & Prince Edward Island Settlers, New England Settlers, New York Settlers, Southwestern Quebec French Settlers, Southwestern Quebec & New York & Vermont French Settlers
    Mother: Southern Ontario Settlers, New York Settlers, Nova Scotia & Prince Edward Island Settlers
    AncestryDNA: England & Northwestern Europe: 49%, Scotland: 39%, Ireland 8%, Germanic Europe 4%

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Germanic, Slavic, Baltic
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a-L365
    mtDNA (M)
    H1c3
    Y-DNA (M)
    I-CTS5966
    mtDNA (P)
    H2a3

Poland Pomerania Denmark France Sweden Russia Imperial Germany
    My wife’s maiden name is Scottish, though her ancestors had been in the London area for years. She now has 47% Scotland.

I was assigned 4% with no ties to GB, Scotland or Ireland. While minor, I have seen some other German members with higher assigned amounts. There was an explanation for the German assignment attributed to a migration back in the 1700s. Seems like there is a more recent Scotland/German connection. The map also encompasses NW France, so there is a possibility there too.
    Maternal grandfather: born in Leningrad Oblast, Russia (1928)
    Maternal grandmother: born in Centre-Val de Loire, France (1927) - earliest documented ancestor (1770) Indre, France
    Paternal grandmother: born in the US - earliest documented ancestors (c. 1800) Mecklenburg-Vorpommern and Lower Saxony
    Paternal grandfather: born in the US - paternal grandparents born in Danzig (c. 1854), maternal grandparents born in Kolding, Denmark 1875, maternal great grandma born in Lindberg, Sweden 1849

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Celto-Germanic
    Nationality
    English
    Y-DNA (P)
    Possibly R1b
    mtDNA (M)
    H1a3a1

England North of England Ireland Scotland Germany Romani Star of David
    I'm thinking some Irish Protestant may be misread as Scottish due to minor amounts of English ancestry, so the Scottish reference pop could be largely Lowland.
    Target: mildlycurly_scaled
    Distance: 1.3578% / 0.01357814
    57.0 Irish
    37.6 English
    2.6 Roma_Barcelona
    1.8 Ashkenazi_Germany
    1.0 Roma_Granada

Current research interest(s): The Viscontis of Milan

Registered Users
    Ethnicity
    Northern Ireland
    Nationality
    Northern Irish
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-L193(BY2634)

Quote Originally Posted by mildlycurly View Post
    I'm thinking some Irish Protestant may be misread as Scottish due to minor amounts of English ancestry, so the Scottish reference pop could be largely Lowland.
    Misread??? So Ulster Scots should be what?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Nqp15hhu For This Useful Post:

Cracow (10-09-2020)

Silver Class Member
    Sex
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-Z198 (DF27)
    mtDNA (M)
    T2B-T152C

England Scotland Poland Germany Canada Quebec Netherlands
    The common pattern in all your threads seems to be that you really want to identify a large part of Scottish DNA in your ancestral make-up. Surely you have some but from what I've seen of your results most of the time you're presented as overwhelmingly Irish. The smaller the Scottish part of your heritage is the more difficult it will be to separate from the Irish. I think your goal cannot be accomplished. Maybe if whole genome sequencing really picks up in the future you could potentially use that to compare and find whatever you're after

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sktibo For This Useful Post:

Bog Body (10-08-2020),  FionnSneachta (10-07-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b
    mtDNA (M)
    H

I think it will be hard to detect differences without a lot more testers with accurate origins information. This is only complicated by constant movements back and forth across the Irish Sea over the ages. I think parts of Northern Ireland are only 13 miles from Scotland.

You can go back to the Irish Genome study by Lara Cassidy. They have what they call the Irish Genome as being establishing 4000 years ago when the Bell Beakers came in. They say that was a major change in the genetic makeup of the Irish. They also show that today's Irish, Scottish and Welsh have changed little since then. In other words, they are the same people.

For detailed refinement is needed. My guess is there are a couple of north Irish types that are more closely related to western Scottish types than they are to southwest Irish types. Need more numbers.

Registered Users
    Ethnicity
    Northern Ireland
    Nationality
    Northern Irish
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-L193(BY2634)

Quote Originally Posted by Mikewww View Post
    I think it will be hard to detect differences without a lot more testers with accurate origins information. This is only complicated by constant movements back and forth across the Irish Sea over the ages. I think parts of Northern Ireland are only 13 miles from Scotland.

You can go back to the Irish Genome study by Lara Cassidy. They have what they call the Irish Genome as being establishing 4000 years ago when the Bell Beakers came in. They say that was a major change in the genetic makeup of the Irish. They also show that today's Irish, Scottish and Welsh have changed little since then. In other words, they are the same people.

For detailed refinement is needed. My guess is there are a couple of north Irish types that are more closely related to western Scottish types than they are to southwest Irish types. Need more numbers.
    Thatís mostly what my question is. I noticed that some of my results are highly Irish whilst others are a mix of Irish and Scottish.

That combined with the Scottish being present in Ulster Irish samples has me wondering what the Scottish sample is composed of ethnically.

Registered Users
    Ethnicity
    Northern Ireland
    Nationality
    Northern Irish
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-L193(BY2634)

Here is an example of what I was saying above. These are all people with near 100% Ulster Irish Dna.

Common trends:
    - 10-20% Scottish, some Welsh.
    - All have the Northern Ireland and SW Scotland Genetic Community.

F5424B25-40BE-410A-A09E-B8C10778D1EA.png

582D3B40-9F4C-44F7-86C9-1ABF31B4BA8A.png

BFEE845E-8863-4E42-A54C-BCCD70544A83.jpeg

E44FBBEA-7EB3-426E-B2CB-CC1AD7A77CC2.png

B1E0321D-4A44-4E86-A18C-021919BD459E.png

Why is the NI and SW Scotland GC basically in all Northern Irish results despite ancestral background?
    Last edited by Nqp15hhu; 10-07-2020 at 04:18 PM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Nqp15hhu For This Useful Post:

sktibo (10-07-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    Canadian

Canada Netherlands United Kingdom Cornwall Ireland France
    Quote Originally Posted by sktibo View Post
    The common pattern in all your threads seems to be that you really want to identify a large part of Scottish DNA in your ancestral make-up. Surely you have some but from what I've seen of your results most of the time you're presented as overwhelmingly Irish. The smaller the Scottish part of your heritage is the more difficult it will be to separate from the Irish. I think your goal cannot be accomplished. Maybe if whole genome sequencing really picks up in the future you could potentially use that to compare and find whatever you're after
    This is probably more common than we think, I'm not sure of the stat, but we do know that a certain amount of native Irish converted to Protestantism in Northern Ireland especially, this can be reflected in ethnicity estimates. Secondly, separating Scottish from Irish can be quite difficult once we consider that both nations have rather connected histories throughout the centuries that muddies the waters.

My cousins in Northern Ireland who have seemingly only Protestant Ulster roots are often estimated to be almost entirely Irish.

15. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to spruithean For This Useful Post:

Aroon1916 (10-09-2020),  Bog Body (10-13-2020),  FionnSneachta (10-07-2020),  jadegreg (10-07-2020),  Jessie (10-07-2020),  SiolDiarmuid (10-07-2020),  sktibo (10-07-2020)

Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast