Page 29 of 29 FirstFirst ... 19272829

Thread: What is the Scottish component composed of?

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    mixed European
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    Dad: R1b/L21/DF63
    mtDNA (M)
    K2b2
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-M269
    mtDNA (P)
    K2b1a1a

United States of America England Wales Sweden Germany
    Quote Originally Posted by Nqp15hhu View Post
    I think we should all be open to the idea of some variation in our ethnic results from what we expect.
    Definitely, but there seems to be a pattern of Ancestry giving a lot of people excessive Scottish, and no particular reason to feel confident that they can tell Scottish from English or Irish consistently.

I have no known Scottish. (I have some -- although about 10-15% -- Ulster ancestry, so I probably do have some Scottish, and I have unknown ancestry like everyone). I still think think the 33% estimate (which goes along with a much lower than expected Irish and, especially, English estimates of 2% and 12%) is very likely extremely overstated, and reflects some percentage of my English and likely some Irish. This is especially true as my sister gets 49% English and 10% Irish and only 17% Scottish (which still is probably high, but who knows).

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to msmarjoribanks For This Useful Post:

Anglo-Celtic (05-05-2021),  boilermeschew827 (05-05-2021),  JMcB (05-09-2021),  MacEochaidh (05-08-2021),  Rufus191 (05-07-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    English and Irish
    Nationality
    British

England Ireland Connacht East Anglia England North of England United Kingdom Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by lana6765 View Post
    I’m not saying I necessarily have a Swedish ancestor, but at some point over the last 500 years maybe some event happened that means I share DNA with some Scandinavians, Finnish people, Polish people etc. It could have been any one of thousands of ancestors or any one of thousands of cousins. There’s no endogamy or technical issues needed to explain it.
    I know this may not be related, but I’ve just realised where one of my Liverpudlian ancestors was from: sandwiched in between the Chinatown, the Baltic triangle and Ropewalks.

Even if I have 0 foreign ancestors over the last 300 years... that’s where I would look I guess! This is where most of the sailors quarters were. ‘Baltic’ in this case probably means Norway, where timber was imported from.

Also around here is where most of the Irish community lived, including my other Irish ancestor. It’s interesting to be somehow connected with this area. I’ve visited it many times, but never thought that I’d be able to trace my ancestry back to there.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lana6765 For This Useful Post:

msmarjoribanks (05-06-2021),  Saetro (05-07-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex

Don't give it too much importance. As a rule, in AncestryDNA, most of the NCE components are just local-regional for the given individual. Like Germans get regularly English, Swedish, Norwegian. Even I get it on a low level, even though I have little to no ancestry from North of North Rhine-Wesphalia and with fairly high certainty zero from North of Holstein in the last 1000 years.
    There are also some odd results popping up in different regions. Like some Hungarians get little to no German, but suddenly they get Scottish and Welsh! Looking at their background, its most likely distant German, but the algorithm doesn't have the right references, so he splits it into a Western extreme. This is particularly funny, as Welsh is usually low throughout Germany as a component, but appears from time to time. While AncestryDNA does a good job, with very closely related components, like the North Western Celtic and different Germanic ones, it can't decide right all the time and sometimes just fills the gaps with rather unusual combinations.
    What's very helpful is to look at the range for every given component. Like in my case the range of German covers the Scandinavian, and the Scandinavian goes from 0 to X. So the algorithm tells you that this is the preferred interpretation, but it could be a little bit different and its not sure Scandinavian is real at all (therefore starting at 0).

Registered Users
    Ethnicity
    Northern Ireland
    Nationality
    Northern Irish
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-L193(BY2634)
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-M222

Northern Ireland Ireland Scotland
    I agree with that my mothers Scottish starts at 0, as does the Welsh for both of my parents.

I have taken that to infer that there is a high chance that the welsh is a mismatch.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Ger.-Brit.-Catalan-more
    Nationality
    (U.S.) American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-YP619*
    mtDNA (M)
    H1bg

United Kingdom Germany Bayern Catalonia France Ireland Switzerland
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
    Don't give it too much importance. As a rule, in AncestryDNA, most of the NCE components are just local-regional for the given individual. Like Germans get regularly English, Swedish, Norwegian. Even I get it on a low level, even though I have little to no ancestry from North of North Rhine-Wesphalia and with fairly high certainty zero from North of Holstein in the last 1000 years.
    There are also some odd results popping up in different regions. Like some Hungarians get little to no German, but suddenly they get Scottish and Welsh! Looking at their background, its most likely distant German, but the algorithm doesn't have the right references, so he splits it into a Western extreme. This is particularly funny, as Welsh is usually low throughout Germany as a component, but appears from time to time. While AncestryDNA does a good job, with very closely related components, like the North Western Celtic and different Germanic ones, it can't decide right all the time and sometimes just fills the gaps with rather unusual combinations.
    What's very helpful is to look at the range for every given component. Like in my case the range of German covers the Scandinavian, and the Scandinavian goes from 0 to X. So the algorithm tells you that this is the preferred interpretation, but it could be a little bit different and its not sure Scandinavian is real at all (therefore starting at 0).
    I find considering the ranges interesting, too. Back before the 2018 update -- after which Ancestry claimed my "Great Britain" was "increased" by a whopping 55% -- the only category that didn't include 0 in the range was "Europe West". That had been my highest score before the update, at 45%. After the update, it was "adjusted" down to only 6% "Germanic Europe". But that was certainly because the rest of my German was simply shuffled off to be part of the "England, Scotland, and Northwestern Europe" category.

Afterward, the only category which didn't include 0 in the range was "England, Scotland, and Northwestern Europe" (as I think they initially called it). If I remember correctly the range for that one was something like 71-79%. The when Scotland was grouped separately, "England and Northwestern Europe" became 58% with a range of 51-58%. But it's pretty clear that this is due mainly to the inclusion of the "Northwestern Europe" part of it. If they figured out a way to separate these two, I think my "England" would likely drop to pretty close to 0 -- and the range would surely begin at 0.
    Last edited by geebee; 05-12-2021 at 07:27 PM.
    Besides British-German-Catalan, ancestry includes smaller amounts of French, Irish, Swiss, Choctaw & another NA tribe, possibly Catawba. Avatar picture is: my father, his father, & his father's father; baby is my eldest brother.

GB

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to geebee For This Useful Post:

laulei (05-13-2021),  Riverman (05-12-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    mixed European
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    Dad: R1b/L21/DF63
    mtDNA (M)
    K2b2
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-M269
    mtDNA (P)
    K2b1a1a

United States of America England Wales Sweden Germany
    At one point we were speculating that for the vast majority of people (based on results reported) only one component didn't start the range at 0.

My highest percentage is 33% Scottish, but that range starts at 0.

My only non zero range is Wales: 11%-46% (23%). I am definitely partly Welsh.

My sister gets as non zero ranges England and NW Europe (40%-49% (49%)), and Norway (1%-14% (12%) (who knows, we are Swedish, but not Norwegian on paper). But my E&NWE range is now 0-15% (12%).

For me, it all makes more sense when the components I'm not convinced they can separate well are added together.

Me/Sis:

E/W/S/I: 70%/81%

Sweden/Norway: 13%/14%

Germany/France: 17%/5%

This is also reasonably consistent with my 23andMe if you assume broadly NW E is mostly British Isles:

B&I: 51%
    Broadly NW E: 15%
    Scandinavian: 11%
    F&G: 19%
    Southern Europe: 4%

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to msmarjoribanks For This Useful Post:

laulei (05-18-2021),  Riverman (05-18-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Irish, Scots, Quebecoise
    Nationality
    American/Canadian
    Y-DNA (P)
    RL21-DF23>ZP149
    mtDNA (M)
    T2g1

Northern Ireland Ireland Scotland Canada Quebec
    My Scotland estimate is 42% with a range of 40-59%. My father and three of my grandparents were from Belfast, but one of those lines is from Donegal. I have one 2X Great grandfather from from South Uist, Na h-Eileannan Na Iar and one line that traces back to Southwestern Scotland. I also get a 7% Norway score, which seems high.

Overall my ancestry as known to me is 75% Irish, Scottish, English, and 25% Quebecoise.
    Y-DNA R-DF23>ZP149>ZP171 MDKA Thomas Doherty, b. 1825, Three Trees, Donegal, Ireland.
    mtDNA T2g1 MDKA Francoise Arguin, b. 1698, Camaret-Sur-Mer, Bretagne, France

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MacEochaidh For This Useful Post:

laulei (05-18-2021),  msmarjoribanks (05-20-2021)

Page 29 of 29 FirstFirst ... 19272829