Page 16 of 26 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: What is the Scottish component composed of?

Registered Users
    Sex
    Omitted

Quote Originally Posted by Nibelung View Post
    For the Anguses/Ferguses I've got most everything necessary quoted here when I did the article many years ago. House of Oengus. Also see the entire Genealogies from Rawlinson B 502 to get an idea of what the source material looks like. As far as the DF21 MacCarthy/O'Callaghan line it was at one time a minor lineage parallel to the "Little Scots" modal in Y-DNA terms which eventually achieved preeminence in Desmond following the collapse of the Cashel-based Munster overkingdom. The original Eoganacht Caisil/Cashel line from which it was claimed to arise was probably the L270 clade of S1121 represented by the O'Sullivans. Just remember not to attack either or the other septs concerned. There was much strife during that time.
    Thanks!

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Hiberno-Norman
    Nationality
    Beaker Boy
    Y-DNA (P)
    I2 - CTS6433

Northern Ireland Scotland Normandie England Wales France Bretagne
    Scotland has multiple overlapping ethnicities. The Hebrides and Argyll are basically Irish, the northeastern highlands + islands are Pictish (related to Welsh) with Norse influence and the lowlands are mixed Anglo-Picts. And they're all so closely related genetically that it almost becomes arbitrary to classify them according to DNA. If a highland Scot or a Norse Gael male line marries into English families, they will become more English autosomally but that doesn't disqualify them from being Scottish paternally or culturally. The same logic goes vice-versa. The only reason some of the highlands and islanders stand out as distinct is because they are geographically and therefore genetically isolated compared to the much more populous lowlands. "Highland" Scots only make up 4.4% of the actual population of Scotland (235,830 out of 5.4 million) so if you are broadly Scottish in ancestry, odds are you will have lots more lowland ancestry than highland ancestry just based on the demographics alone.
    Last edited by Reggiemercer; 10-28-2020 at 11:01 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Reggiemercer For This Useful Post:

JerryS. (10-28-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    North & Ionian Seas
    Nationality
    American

England Italy Germany Scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by Reggiemercer View Post
    Scotland has multiple overlapping ethnicities. The Hebrides and Argyll are basically Irish, the northeastern highlands + islands are Pictish (related to Welsh) with Norse influence and the lowlands are mixed Anglo-Picts. And they're all so closely related genetically that it almost becomes arbitrary to classify them according to DNA. If a highland Scot or a Norse Gael male line marries into English families, they will become more English autosomally but that doesn't disqualify them from being Scottish paternally or culturally. The same logic goes vice-versa. The only reason some of the highlands and islanders stand out as distinct is because they are geographically and therefore genetically isolated compared to the much more populous lowlands. "Highland" Scots only make up 4.4% of the actual population of Scotland (235,830 out of 5.4 million) so if you are broadly Scottish in ancestry, odds are you will have lots more lowland ancestry than highland ancestry just based on the demographics alone.
    in the mid 1800s what part of Scotland produced the most immigrants to Canada? My Scottish line came to America after first stopping in Canada (Prince Edward Island and Ontario).

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Hiberno-Norman
    Nationality
    Beaker Boy
    Y-DNA (P)
    I2 - CTS6433

Quote Originally Posted by JerryS. View Post
    in the mid 1800s what part of Scotland produced the most immigrants to Canada? My Scottish line came to America after first stopping in Canada (Prince Edward Island and Ontario).
    Good question, I'm pretty sure they were Gaelics because there was a large immigration push from the Hebrides during the highland clearances. Do you get Scottish or Irish ancestry in your DNA results?

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    North & Ionian Seas
    Nationality
    American

Good question, I'm pretty sure they were Gaelics because there was a large immigration push from the Hebrides during the highland clearances. Do you get Scottish or Irish ancestry in your DNA results?
    Generic British-Irish or British Isles. on some of the diy calc I can get some Irish but my NW ancestry is so close to one another its hard to separate, even getting some Scandinavian. using some of the Gedmatch models I can get an Irish primary on the regular oracle mixed model population depending on if I use Ancestry or 23 data.
    Last edited by JerryS.; 10-29-2020 at 12:10 AM.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Hiberno-Norman
    Nationality
    Beaker Boy
    Y-DNA (P)
    I2 - CTS6433

Take a look at any genetic distance chart and you'll see how ridiculously close the Irish, Scottish and English are. Even the Norwegians get tugged over to us, that's probably how you're getting Scandinavian.

I've been trying to untangle my own family tree with mixed success. My father got a lot of Scottish but I can't figure out if its highlands or lowlands Scottish. My grandma's surname (Holland) checks out as lowlands Scottish but my father's side is French Canadian and Catholic. I have a hard time believing a Protestant Scots family would convert to Catholicism in English-speaking Canada, especially considering how poor my father's family was at the time. Really, they are so close genetically that the identities fall down along religious rather than ethnic lines. Is your Scottish line Catholic or Protestant?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Reggiemercer For This Useful Post:

JerryS. (10-29-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    North & Ionian Seas
    Nationality
    American

Take a look at any genetic distance chart and you'll see how ridiculously close the Irish, Scottish and English are. Even the Norwegians get tugged over to us, that's probably how you're getting Scandinavian.

I've been trying to untangle my own family tree with mixed success. My father got a lot of Scottish but I can't figure out if its highlands or lowlands Scottish. My grandma's surname (Holland) checks out as lowlands Scottish but my father's side is French Canadian and Catholic. I have a hard time believing a Protestant Scots family would convert to Catholicism in English-speaking Canada, especially considering how poor my father's family was at the time. Really, they are so close genetically that the identities fall down along religious rather than ethnic lines. Is your Scottish line Catholic or Protestant?
    my Scottish line was Protestant. the Irish surnames in my line were from women but I don't know what their religion was prior to marriage to the Scots.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Hiberno-Norman
    Nationality
    Beaker Boy
    Y-DNA (P)
    I2 - CTS6433

Most likely they're going to be a mix of lowland Anglo-Scots and more Welshy northerners. Those Irish families were probably northern Irish, which lean closer to Welsh people than mainland Irish people do.

Silver Class Member
    Sex
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-Z198 (DF27)
    mtDNA (M)
    T2B-T152C

England Scotland Poland Germany Canada Quebec Netherlands
    Most likely they're going to be a mix of lowland Anglo-Scots and more Welshy northerners. Those Irish families were probably northern Irish, which lean closer to Welsh people than mainland Irish people do.
    Reggie... where are you getting this information from

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sktibo For This Useful Post:

Caledonian (11-06-2020),  jadegreg (10-29-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Hiberno-Norman
    Nationality
    Beaker Boy
    Y-DNA (P)
    I2 - CTS6433

Quote Originally Posted by sktibo View Post
    Reggie... where are you getting this information from
    Half my mother's family is Scots-Irish from Ulster, on her father's side, ancestrally from Renfrewshire. They cluster closest to the Irish but lean Welsh due to the migration from SW Scotland (my family was one of those migrants).

Page 16 of 26 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast