Page 23 of 64 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast

Thread: UMAP of (sub)modern Europeans

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    J-P58
    mtDNA (M)
    U4B1b1

Also interesting that I plot within the Belgium/France cluster. I sometimes get French, Belgium, and Dutch results on other calculators but don’t quite understand why. I suppose names from my dad’s side like Lauder, Kerr, and Jarvie Contribute to this result?

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DMAC For This Useful Post:

jadegreg (10-17-2020),  sktibo (10-18-2020)

Silver Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Canadian Prairies Mix
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-Z198 (DF27)
    mtDNA (M)
    T2B-T152C

Canada England Scotland Germany Poland France
    Quote Originally Posted by jadegreg View Post
    That seems like a perfectly reasonable assumption. But what do you think is going on with the branch/cluster shared by Hujibregts, FionnSneachta and Bygdedwelle. Similarly, the branch/cluster that I myself and Radboud are in. I would really be interested in your thoughts.

I was thinking the original orientation made the most sense with respect to geography of the populations

Attachment 40386 as opposed to

Attachment 40387

But now I'm not sure....
    I'll really need my computer to elaborate on my vision of what this plot represents.. hopefully I can hand my kid off to my wife soon...
    Paper trail ancestry to the best of my knowledge:
    English (possibly containing some Welsh ancestry) 31.25%, Scottish 17.96%, Scotch-Irish 12.5%, Eastern German 12.5%, Eastern European (Likely Polish possibly including Romanian) 12.5%, French 7.81%, Native American (Saulteaux and Assiniboine) 2.34%, and Colonial American, 3.125%, which cannot be traced with certainty. With certainty, there is Dutch (at least 1.36%) and some English.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sktibo For This Useful Post:

jadegreg (10-17-2020),  JMcB (10-17-2020)

Silver Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Canadian Prairies Mix
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-Z198 (DF27)
    mtDNA (M)
    T2B-T152C

Quote Originally Posted by DMAC View Post
    Also interesting that I plot within the Belgium/France cluster. I sometimes get French, Belgium, and Dutch results on other calculators but don’t quite understand why. I suppose names from my dad’s side like Lauder, Kerr, and Jarvie Contribute to this result?
    You're Scottish? yeah it doesn't really plot you where expected but that's the fun of this stuff.
    English (possibly containing some Welsh ancestry) 31.25%, Scottish 17.96%, Scotch-Irish 12.5%, Eastern German 12.5%, Eastern European (Likely Polish possibly including Romanian) 12.5%, French 7.81%, Native American (Saulteaux and Assiniboine) 2.34%, and Colonial American, 3.125%, which cannot be traced with certainty. With certainty, there is Dutch (at least 1.36%) and some English.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to sktibo For This Useful Post:

jadegreg (10-17-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    South-Dutch
    Nationality
    Dutch
    Y-DNA (P)
    I2a2a1b2-CTS1977
    mtDNA (M)
    H13a1a1

Netherlands Belgium
    Quote Originally Posted by jadegreg View Post
    That seems like a perfectly reasonable assumption. But what do you think is going on with the branch/cluster shared by Hujibregts, FionnSneachta and Bygdedwelle. Similarly, the branch/cluster that I myself and Radboud are in. I would really be interested in your thoughts.

I was thinking the original orientation made the most sense with respect to geography of the populations

Attachment 40386 as opposed to

Attachment 40387

But now I'm not sure....

Haha, look at the label of the axis. I flipped the dimensions.
    But I think you right. It looks more natural with the dimension UMAP1 on the y-axis.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Huijbregts For This Useful Post:

evon (10-18-2020),  jadegreg (10-17-2020),  JMcB (10-17-2020)

Silver Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Canadian Prairies Mix
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-Z198 (DF27)
    mtDNA (M)
    T2B-T152C

HuijbUMAPanthlines.png

I'm thinking of this as a cline from least northern-like to most northern-like, I hope the blue lines I've drawn kind of show how I'm visualizing this. The group at the top-right consists of Evon's people, Finn's people, Bydweller (sp? sorry) The third most Northern group is probably the most typical "NW" type, containing most of our Irish members, incl. Nqp and timberwolf. The second most Northern group, in between this and the Scando-dutch group lies Jessie, who often gets Icelandic similarities autosomally, so I think that's a good placement for her. One step down are Garimund and (Is it Angle's dad?) who are on the edge of the typical NW/British/Irish group/cline. Finally, Kellebel's K, KM and KG lie at the other end of this cline.
    I never place expectations on the Dutch (okay, mostly Huijbregts - Finn's people can be relied on!) or Angles' people as they can fall in atypical positions. What does look a bit out of place is "D" and "j" who I would both expect to be more northern, although JMcB "j" does have a bit of Italian and some German ancestry which could pull him back a bit.

The TL;DR explaining what I think most of us really care about... Highly germanic at the end of the cline. Highly Insular "Celtic" like is third from the end. Jessie's in the middle - that checks out IMO. Nqp, you're smack in the middle of my imagined "Celtic" cluster so that should make you happy.
    Last edited by sktibo; 10-17-2020 at 10:40 PM.

10. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to sktibo For This Useful Post:

Aroon1916 (10-17-2020),  Bygdedweller (10-17-2020),  DMAC (10-18-2020),  evon (10-18-2020),  FionnSneachta (10-17-2020),  Garimund (10-17-2020),  jadegreg (10-17-2020),  Jessie (10-18-2020),  JMcB (10-17-2020),  Radboud (10-18-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Omitted
    Y-DNA (P)
    Z372
    mtDNA (M)
    J2b1a-T16311C!

Cornwall New Zealand
    Looking at the plot I see I am closest to g and KD I take g will be Garimund KD is ?

Sorry to ask I have only just come back to the thread.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    J-P58
    mtDNA (M)
    U4B1b1

Quote Originally Posted by sktibo View Post
    You're Scottish? yeah it doesn't really plot you where expected but that's the fun of this stuff.
    My grandparents are all Scottish. But my paternal grandfather was born to a Jewish man and his mother was a Lauder. The European Jewish probably contributes to this position as well. European Jewish came as a surprise as my grandfather was adopted and raised in an Irish Catholic home.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DMAC For This Useful Post:

Dewsloth (10-18-2020),  JMcB (10-17-2020),  sktibo (10-17-2020)

Silver Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Canadian Prairies Mix
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-Z198 (DF27)
    mtDNA (M)
    T2B-T152C

Quote Originally Posted by DMAC View Post
    My grandparents are all Scottish. But my paternal grandfather was born to a Jewish man and his mother was a Lauder. The European Jewish probably contributes to this position as well. European Jewish came as a surprise as my grandfather was adopted and raised in an Irish Catholic home.
    Ah okay, that's quite southern, Jewish.. so that's why your pulled downwards. Makes sense then.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sktibo For This Useful Post:

DMAC (10-18-2020),  JMcB (10-17-2020),  passenger (10-17-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    English, Welsh
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-DF98
    mtDNA (M)
    X2b4

United Kingdom England Wales Devon Cornwall
    Quote Originally Posted by Huijbregts View Post
    Haha, look at the label of the axis. I flipped the dimensions.
    But I think you right. It looks more natural with the dimension UMAP1 on the y-axis.
    That's what I thought at first, given the position of the Estonians in genetic NE, and Sardinians in genetic SC. That's what I asked about earlier, but re-reading it's clear why you didn't understand what I was asking. I wish I had the excuse of English not being my 1st language, but there we go..........

17. The Following User Says Thank You to jadegreg For This Useful Post:

JMcB (10-17-2020)

Silver Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Canadian Prairies Mix
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-Z198 (DF27)
    mtDNA (M)
    T2B-T152C

Quote Originally Posted by sktibo View Post
    HuijbUMAPanthlines.png

I'm thinking of this as a cline from least northern-like to most northern-like, I hope the blue lines I've drawn kind of show how I'm visualizing this. The group at the top-right consists of Evon's people, Finn's people, Bydweller (sp? sorry) The third most Northern group is probably the most typical "NW" type, containing most of our Irish members, incl. Nqp and timberwolf. The second most Northern group, in between this and the Scando-dutch group lies Jessie, who often gets Icelandic similarities autosomally, so I think that's a good placement for her. One step down are Garimund and (Is it Angle's dad?) who are on the edge of the typical NW/British/Irish group/cline. Finally, Kellebel's K, KM and KG lie at the other end of this cline.
    I never place expectations on the Dutch (okay, mostly Huijbregts - Finn's people can be relied on!) or Angles' people as they can fall in atypical positions. What does look a bit out of place is "D" and "j" who I would both expect to be more northern, although JMcB "j" does have a bit of Italian and some German ancestry which could pull him back a bit.

The TL;DR explaining what I think most of us really care about... Highly germanic at the end of the cline. Highly Insular "Celtic" like is third from the end. Jessie's in the middle - that checks out IMO. Nqp, you're smack in the middle of my imagined "Celtic" cluster so that should make you happy.
    HuijbUMAPanthrotated.png

We can rotate it to get a bit of a different perspective on this too

19. The Following User Says Thank You to sktibo For This Useful Post:

jadegreg (10-17-2020)

Page 23 of 64 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast