mtDNA (M)
    L2a1
    Y-DNA (M)
    J2>M67>CTS6804
    mtDNA (P)
    L3e2

Cuba Lebanon France Spain

Any information about L4b2a?

I recently discovered thanks to a DNA match that my great-grandfather's maternal haplogroup would have been L4b2a. Anyone know where I could find more information on this haplogroup? I can't seem to find anything online. If it helps, my great-grandfather was of Cuban descent through his maternal line.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qallezan65 For This Useful Post:

Angoliga (03-18-2021),  SWAHILLI_PRINCE16 (04-11-2021)

Banned
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Mixed Zanzibar
    Y-DNA (P)
    L1307
    mtDNA (M)
    L3b1a

ZanzibarSultanate United Kingdom Uganda
    Quote Originally Posted by gokupwned5 View Post
    I recently discovered thanks to a DNA match that my great-grandfather's maternal haplogroup would have been L4b2a. Anyone know where I could find more information on this haplogroup? I can't seem to find anything online. If it helps, my great-grandfather was of Cuban descent through his maternal line.
    Well this is a strange one. Its usually entirely bound to East-African hunter gatherers like Hadza/Sandawe and some Khoisan speakers in South Africa. How it got to Cuba is beyond me, but Mitochondrial DNA diversity in the African American population found two African-American individuals to belong to an unspecified L4 clade. Maybe its in the supplements.

Then there's also this:
    However, the transfer of pastoralism from eastern to southern Africa itself was not purely cultural (see above). We also report here the presence of mitochondrial L4b2 that supports limited gene flow from eastern Africa, approximately during the same time frame as the pastoralist diffusion. L4b2, formerly known as L3g or L4g, is a mtDNA haplogroup historically found at a high frequency in eastern Africa, in addition to the Arabian Peninsula. L4b2 is at high frequency specifically in click-speaking populations such as the Hadza and Sandawe in Tanzania (sometimes described as “Khoisan speaking”) (Knight et al. 2003). Nearly 60% of the Hadza population and 48% of Sandawe belong to L4b2 (Tishkoff et al. 2007). Even though both Tanzanian click-speaking groups and the southern African KhoeSan share some linguistic similarities and a hunter-gatherer lifestyle, they have been isolated from each other over the past 35,000 years (Tishkoff et al. 2007). The L4b2a2 haplogroup is present at a low frequency in both the Nama and ≠Khomani San, observed in one matriline in each population (Table 1). L4b2 was also formerly reported in the SAC population (0.89%) (Quintana-Murci et al. 2010) but has not been discussed in the literature. We identified several additional southern L4b2 haplotypes from whole mtDNA genomes deposited in public databases (Behar et al. 2008; Barbieri et al. 2013) and analyzed these samples together with all L4b2 individuals available in National Center for Biotechnology Information (NCBI). Median-joining phylogenetic network analysis of the mtDNA haplogroup, L4b2, supports the hypothesis that there was gene flow from eastern Africans to southern African KhoeSan groups. As shown in Figure 5 (and in more detail in Figure S6), southern African individuals branch off in a single lineage from eastern African populations in this network (Salas et al. 2002; Tishkoff et al. 2007; Gonder et al. 2007). The mitochondrial network suggests a recent migratory scenario (estimated to be <5000 years before present), although the source of this gene flow, whether from eastern African click-speaking groups or others, remains unclear (Pickrell et al. 2014).
    Fine-Scale Human Population Structure in Southern Africa Reflects Ecogeographic Boundaries

Its hella weird that this would make it to the Americas but stranger things can happen. There's a bunch of unrecorded or lost records regarding transatlantic slavery and I know of evidence of trade penetrating as far as the Central African Republic. Its just weird how Hadza/East African Hunter Gatherer L4b2 is...other groups in the region such as some Nilotes and Bantus exhibit it due to assimilation but yeah.

edit: are you sure its not L4b1? There's some West-Africans on yfull m-tree this with clade, strangely. There should definitely be more studies in to how they got there but we need ancient DNA. However there is a L4b2b1 individual on the tree from Nigeria. Which is crazy. But I guess very rare haplogroups can be found across the entirety of Africa.
    Last edited by ThaYamamoto; 10-12-2020 at 12:21 AM.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ThaYamamoto For This Useful Post:

Angoliga (03-18-2021),  Keneki20 (03-18-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Cuban
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b>DF27>DF17
    mtDNA (M)
    L2a1
    Y-DNA (M)
    J2>M67>CTS6804
    mtDNA (P)
    L3e2

Quote Originally Posted by ThaYamamoto View Post
    Well this is a strange one. Its usually entirely bound to East-African hunter gatherers like Hadza/Sandawe and some Khoisan speakers in South Africa. How it got to Cuba is beyond me, but Mitochondrial DNA diversity in the African American population found two African-American individuals to belong to an unspecified L4 clade. Maybe its in the supplements.

Then there's also this:
    Fine-Scale Human Population Structure in Southern Africa Reflects Ecogeographic Boundaries

Its hella weird that this would make it to the Americas but stranger things can happen. There's a bunch of unrecorded or lost records regarding transatlantic slavery and I know of evidence of trade penetrating as far as the Central African Republic. Its just weird how Hadza/East African Hunter Gatherer L4b2 is...other groups in the region such as some Nilotes and Bantus exhibit it due to assimilation but yeah.

edit: are you sure its not L4b1? There's some West-Africans on yfull m-tree this with clade, strangely. There should definitely be more studies in to how they got there but we need ancient DNA. However there is a L4b2b1 individual on the tree from Nigeria. Which is crazy. But I guess very rare haplogroups can be found across the entirety of Africa.
    That's really interesting, I had no idea it would be so unusual for this haplogroup to end up in Cuba. I know for sure the haplogroup is L4b2a because of 23andMe, unless 23andMe made a mistake in identifying the subclade. My guess is that it has something to do with unrecorded or lost records of transatlantic slavery that you mentioned which would probably explain how this haplogroup ended up in Cuba. Hopefully doing research on that line via paper trail will give me a better idea.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to qallezan65 For This Useful Post:

ThaYamamoto (10-13-2020)

Banned
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Mixed Zanzibar
    Y-DNA (P)
    L1307
    mtDNA (M)
    L3b1a

ZanzibarSultanate United Kingdom Uganda
    Quote Originally Posted by gokupwned5 View Post
    That's really interesting, I had no idea it would be so unusual for this haplogroup to end up in Cuba. I know for sure the haplogroup is L4b2a because of 23andMe, unless 23andMe made a mistake in identifying the subclade. My guess is that it has something to do with unrecorded or lost records of transatlantic slavery that you mentioned which would probably explain how this haplogroup ended up in Cuba. Hopefully doing research on that line via paper trail will give me a better idea.
    Yeah its such a peculiarly East-African Hunter-Gatherer and to a less degree, South African Hunter-Gatherer haplogroup that it is odd, but I'd bet that its coming from a Bantu ancestor that had acquired the haplogroup somewhere in East-Central Africa, perhaps around the Zambezi confluence or maybe along more coastal areas. The interior of the Congo is so undersampled that it could even have strong frequencies in the eastern half of the DRC.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ThaYamamoto For This Useful Post:

Alfa (12-31-2020),  qallezan65 (10-13-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Cuban
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b>DF27>DF17
    mtDNA (M)
    L2a1
    Y-DNA (M)
    J2>M67>CTS6804
    mtDNA (P)
    L3e2

I recently found someone on Reddit who also has this maternal haplogroup. She is from the Dominican Republic, and interestingly enough, she is almost 2% Southern East African. I thought I would share her results here.
    Paternal Grandfatherís mtDNA: L2a1
    Paternal Grandmotherís Y-DNA: R-M167
    Maternal Grandfatherís mtDNA: T2e
    Maternal Grandmotherís Y-DNA: J-M241

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qallezan65 For This Useful Post:

drobbah (03-18-2021),  ThaYamamoto (03-19-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex

Quote Originally Posted by qallezan65 View Post
    It is a native East African lineage (non-Bantu origin). So your match descends maternally from the indigenous East Africans.
    Last edited by NetNomad; 03-18-2021 at 07:46 PM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to NetNomad For This Useful Post:

Alfa (03-18-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex

Quote Originally Posted by ThaYamamoto View Post

It's also found in Northern Somalis. So most likely it is a pan-East African forager lineage found between the Red Sea to about Mozambique/Madagascar (huge range). He could have gotten it from a Mozambican or a Malagasy (as these populations have been transplanted to the New World).

https://www.yfull.com/mtree/L4b2a/

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NetNomad For This Useful Post:

Alfa (03-18-2021),  qallezan65 (03-18-2021),  ThaYamamoto (03-18-2021)