Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Any German Results from AncestryDNA for Comparison?

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    German
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b (> R-CTS4528)
    mtDNA (M)
    U5b2b

Germany Imperial
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
    But then again, English and Scandinavian doesn't count, its just part of the Germanic ancestry and Germans without known or likely admixture from Britain or the North should just add this to their "total German" and might view it as "more North German-like" rather than South German. That's all.
    That´s basically the correct interpretation imo. You can maybe go one step farther and if you get 15% Sweden as a German you can view this as German, but Sweden-like, DNA.

Next thing is, when such a calculatory extraction - which is somewhat too "northern" - is made from actual German DNA the rest is left behind somewhat too "southern". This can cause an elevated southern tendency of the rest or even cause Balkan etc. as a calculatory counterweight. Such contexts are often seen in FTDNA´s myOrigins results. Also consider what different oracle results look like.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rothaer For This Useful Post:

jadegreg (10-20-2020),  Riverman (10-19-2020),  sktibo (10-22-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex

Quote Originally Posted by rothaer View Post
    That´s basically the correct interpretation imo. You can maybe go one step farther and if you get 15% Sweden as a German you can view this as German, but Sweden-like, DNA.

Next thing is, when such a calculatory extraction - which is somewhat too "northern" - is made from actual German DNA the rest is left behind somewhat too "southern". This can cause an elevated southern tendency of the rest or even cause Balkan etc. as a calculatory counterweight. Such contexts are often seen in FTDNA´s myOrigins results. Also consider what different oracle results look like.
    I saw that problem on FTDNA and MyHeritage. It can go as far as for two siblings having very different results, like one being 60 Scandinavian : 35 Balkan : 5 West Asian and the other getting something like 90 Central European : 10 Balkan. They would both plot at the same spot on the PCA and of course being siblings, both German, yet that's the kind of result they might get. 23andme is always and AncestryDNA most of the time more accurate.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Riverman For This Useful Post:

jadegreg (10-20-2020),  rothaer (10-20-2020),  sktibo (10-22-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    British Isles/Germanic
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-L196
    mtDNA (M)
    T2b4a

England Scotland Prussia Rheinland German Confederation Ireland
    At least it seems like Ancestry has finally been able to distinguish at least a little better between Sweden and Germany, and to an extent England & Northwestern Europe and Germany. But we know this will never be a perfect or exact science. Prior to the 2020 update, I had 11% Sweden in my results and 0% Germanic. And the results prior to that 2019 update I had 7% Germanic, 5% Sweden, 3% Norway. Now I just have 12% Germanic, 0% Sweden or Norway (and 48% England & Northwestern Europe for reference). I think the results are headed in the right direction for NW Europeans, at least as well as they can.

Most of my German comes from my mom's side I believe - she's from Ohio so I know they had more recent immigration than most of the Southeast (where I'm from and where my dad's entire family is from). Even with that being said based on research in my tree I can only trace the latest immigration from Germany to the 1820s-1840s (I say this range because those people were born in Germany in the 1820s but not quite sure when they left).
    AncestryDNA: 48% England & Northwestern Europe, 29% Scotland, 12% Germanic Europe, 11% Ireland
    23andMe (v5.2 - 50% Confidence phased with 2 parents): 53.9% British & Irish, 22.7% French & German, 3.1% Scandinavian,
    17.2% Broadly Northwestern European, 1.5% Spanish & Portuguese, 0.4% Broadly Southern European,
    0.5% Broadly European, 0.2% Senegambian & Guinean, 0.2% Angolan & Congolese, 0.2% North African, 0.1% Unassigned

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aafusc2988 For This Useful Post:

jadegreg (10-22-2020),  msmarjoribanks (10-21-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    North & Ionian Seas
    Nationality
    American

England Italy Germany Scotland
    since starting this German thread I've since found.... on Ancestry.uk a family tree with some of my mother's father's mother's line immigrating to England from Hamburg and Mecklenburg in the 1880s. so it seems that all of my German line at least since the early 1800s came from Northern Germany. coupled with my Scottish and English seems to explain why I get Scandinavian pops lately on the diy models.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JerryS. For This Useful Post:

jadegreg (10-23-2020),  msmarjoribanks (10-23-2020),  Riverman (10-23-2020)

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456