Thread: Where do I start?

Sex
    mtDNA (M)
    U5b1d1b

Italy Italy Trentino Alto Adige Ireland Connacht

Where do I start?

Hello everyone!

I am very interested in personal & genealogical genetics: unfortunately, my PhD is in the humanities, and I often feel over my head or out of my depth when reading these threads.

I have two separate DNA kits at MyFamilyTreeDNA and 23andMe. I like mtDNA tracing, as well as comparing my matching SNPs to Ancient DNA on MyTrueAncestry.com (I know that is the equivalent of watching trash television: I still think it is fun). However, because I am a survivor of a weird, strange cancer, genetics companies are interested in my DNA as well.

I was wondering, if possible, may some experts on this forum please guide me to resources that can explain my genome to me (like I am five)?

Additionally, I am very interested in matching my DNA with ancient populations: is there a better option than MyTrueAncestry.com* re: that?

Thank you for taking the time to read this thread!

*None of my 'Deep Dive' matches are less than 100 SNPs on that website, for what it is worth

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Polish/British Isles
    Nationality
    U.S.
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-A9185
    mtDNA (M)
    H1
    mtDNA (P)
    J1c2

Poland England Ireland Munster
    Do you have the health option on 23andMe? That costs money, but it's otherwise easy.
    You can also upload your raw data to Promethease. Promethease was $12 the last time I used it (October 3, 2020).

Another DNA company that emphasizes the health aspects is Nebula. They are more expensive than 23andMe but their tests are more comprehensive.

Unfortunately I'm not aware of any worthwhile, completely free, methods to interpret your DNA data for health purposes - unless you already have a fair amount of expertise. But maybe other members have ideas?
    Last edited by pmokeefe; 10-18-2020 at 01:14 AM.
    YFull: YF14620 (Dante Labs 2018)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to pmokeefe For This Useful Post:

shearsofatropos (10-18-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    J1
    mtDNA (M)
    K1a10a

United States of America England
    If you haven't already done so, put your mtDNA U5b1d1b into the Quick Filter box in the database at https://amtdb.org/records/ . Your type is from a very old European branch. You can search up the tree branches by searching for U5b1d1, U5b1d, etc.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to J1 DYS388=13 For This Useful Post:

Bog Body (10-18-2020),  shearsofatropos (10-18-2020)

Sex
    mtDNA (M)
    U5b1d1b

Thank you so much! I forgot to say that I have done Promethease in my original post. It's fascinating stuff, especially since it turns out my alleles are longer than average, and I got cancer at 30 (it was not life-style based or genetic, it was just a random mutation in the blood). Additionally, I do not mind receiving guidance re: services that cost money, if you or other users who are more experienced/knowledgable think it is worth it. Thank you again for taking the time to reply.

Sex
    mtDNA (M)
    U5b1d1b

Thank you! Yes, I apparently have a few unique mtDNA mutations, too (since my cancer treatment my memory has been very poor, so I am not sure which of these mutations is unique). The users on FamilyTreeDNA that match my mtDNA have maternal roots in Ireland and Scotland, which pans out for my maternal side. Thank you again for this resource, I am going to do this right now!

Sex
    mtDNA (M)
    U5b1d1b

Oh, and apologies again- I was not clear in my original post- because of the cancer, DNA companies want to obtain permission from me to sample one of my tumors (I know Nebula, when I was contemplating purchasing their services, asked about that when I indicated I had cancer). But I don't think I can do that for them, or anyone else looking for that information, because I already gave one of my colleagues from University who received a PhD in the hard sciences all of that information/all of the permissions for said tumor. Getting permission for them to view it/sample it was quite tedious, and I would only do it again for a personal friend. I prefer giving permission to researchers, anyway, in lieu of mass corporate conglomerates.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to shearsofatropos For This Useful Post:

J1 DYS388=13 (10-18-2020)