Sex
    Ethnicity
    northwesterner
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-BY3604-Z275
    mtDNA (M)
    H5a1

Normandie Orkney Netherlands Friesland East Frisia Finland
    Finn, it's nothing but the most recent update (with pca).
    Rudy, yes I removed all the regional labels. I'm aware that these samples were likely precious for you (and some others), but I had to do it in order to get a readable map. I wanted initially to use Plotly, but for some reason after the last update of my R-packages Plotly doesn't want to work anymore. As I said, I'm not very good at representation topics.
    En North alom, de North venom
    En North fum naiz, en North manom

(Roman de Rou, Wace, 1160-1170)

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to anglesqueville For This Useful Post:

JMcB (10-30-2020),  Ruderico (10-30-2020)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    SGC+TRB Creool
    Nationality
    NL
    Y-DNA (P)
    E-V22

Netherlands
    Quote Originally Posted by anglesqueville View Post
    Rudy, yes I removed all the regional labels. I'm aware that these samples were likely precious for you (and some others), but I had to do it in order to get a readable map. I wanted initially to use Plotly, but for some reason after the last update of my R-packages Plotly doesn't want to work anymore. As I said, I'm not very good at representation topics.
    ....the last update, with description was very clear! That's why.

Global Moderator
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Portuguese highlander
    Y-DNA (P)
    E-Y31991>FT17866
    mtDNA (M)
    H20 (xH20a)

Asturias Galicia Portugal 1143 Portugal 1485 Portugal Order of Christ PortugalRoyalFlag1830
    It's okay, it doesn't make much of a difference which ones they were anyway. Besides, as you said, since the model lacks certain components that might be relevant for southern Europe, it makes our plotting structure less important
    YDNA E-Y31991>PF4428>Y134097>Y134104>Y168273>FT17866 (TMRCA ~1100AD) - Domingos Rodrigues, b. circa 1690 Hidden Content , Viana do Castelo, Portugal - Stonemason, miller.
    mtDNA H20 - Monica Vieira, b. circa 1700 Hidden Content , Porto, Portugal

Hidden Content
    Global25 PCA West Eurasia dataset Hidden Content

[1] "distance%=1.6023"

Ruderico

Iberia_IA+Hallstatt,82.2
    Berber_EMA,10
    Rome_Imperial,7
    Levant_Roman,0.8

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Ruderico For This Useful Post:

JMcB (11-01-2020)

Sex
    Ethnicity
    northwesterner
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-BY3604-Z275
    mtDNA (M)
    H5a1

Normandie Orkney Netherlands Friesland East Frisia Finland
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruderico View Post
    It's okay, it doesn't make much of a difference which ones they were anyway. Besides, as you said, since the model lacks certain components that might be relevant for southern Europe, it makes our plotting structure less important
    To be honest, I wasn't expecting anything really great. I no longer believe in the possibility of extracting from the G25 a panel of references that would give a fairly faithful model for all of Europe, and hardly more for Western Europe. If the differences are slight, they nevertheless exist, and have their sources at each period of the formation of populations, from the Neolithic period (Cardial vs LBK for example) to modern times with phenomena of genetic drift which escape historical analysis but have brought their share of diversification. No, we are doomed to simplify, and it would be illusory in my opinion to believe that we can solve the problem by multiplying the references. More references inevitably mean more statistical fluctuation.
    En North alom, de North venom
    En North fum naiz, en North manom

(Roman de Rou, Wace, 1160-1170)

7. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to anglesqueville For This Useful Post:

Finn (10-31-2020),  FionnSneachta (10-31-2020),  Helgenes50 (10-31-2020),  jadegreg (11-01-2020),  Jessie (10-31-2020),  JMcB (11-01-2020),  Ruderico (10-31-2020)

Global Moderator
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Portuguese highlander
    Y-DNA (P)
    E-Y31991>FT17866
    mtDNA (M)
    H20 (xH20a)

Asturias Galicia Portugal 1143 Portugal 1485 Portugal Order of Christ PortugalRoyalFlag1830
    To be honest, I wasn't expecting anything really great. I no longer believe in the possibility of extracting from the G25 a panel of references that would give a fairly faithful model for all of Europe, and hardly more for Western Europe. If the differences are slight, they nevertheless exist, and have their sources at each period of the formation of populations, from the Neolithic period (Cardial vs LBK for example) to modern times with phenomena of genetic drift which escape historical analysis but have brought their share of diversification. No, we are doomed to simplify, and it would be illusory in my opinion to believe that we can solve the problem by multiplying the references. More references inevitably mean more statistical fluctuation.
    You're right, that's why I never bother trying to make models for all of Europe, I really just stick to models for regions, particular Iberia because that's what's the most relevant for me. I'll expand my interest to France and nearby regions once we have appropriate pre-modern (IA/Roman/Early_Medieval) samples
    YDNA E-Y31991>PF4428>Y134097>Y134104>Y168273>FT17866 (TMRCA ~1100AD) - Domingos Rodrigues, b. circa 1690 Hidden Content , Viana do Castelo, Portugal - Stonemason, miller.

Hidden Content

[1] "distance%=1.6023"

Ruderico

Iberia_IA+Hallstatt,82.2
    Berber_EMA,10
    Rome_Imperial,7
    Levant_Roman,0.8

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ruderico For This Useful Post:

anglesqueville (10-31-2020),  jadegreg (10-31-2020),  Jessie (10-31-2020),  JMcB (11-01-2020),  Kellebel (10-31-2020)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    SGC+TRB Creool
    Nationality
    NL
    Y-DNA (P)
    E-V22

Netherlands
    I don't think that genetic drift as such has to escape historical analysis it would be a fine thing if genetic drift becomes part of historical analysis! Of course they are partial random and in that sense beneath the radar.

But:
    Genetic drift can have major effects when a population is sharply reduced in size by a natural disaster (bottleneck effect) or when a small group splits off from the main population to found a colony (founder effect).
    (khan). We can detect disasters and we also can detect split offs (colonies) and of course migrations....

Specific for the NW case I can underline your conclusion of yesterday that it's a mess but that is the reality.

I guess the genetic structure is also very much interwoven in the NW European area (all muted Beakers

Besides that it's, like Ruderico said (last week or so) we currently don't have the tools to do the hair cutting job. Nevertheless how advanced they already are.
    Last edited by Finn; 10-31-2020 at 09:55 AM.

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Finn For This Useful Post:

anglesqueville (10-31-2020),  jadegreg (10-31-2020),  Jessie (10-31-2020),  JMcB (11-01-2020),  jstephan (10-31-2020)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    SGC+TRB Creool
    Nationality
    NL
    Y-DNA (P)
    E-V22

Netherlands
    You're right, that's why I never bother trying to make models for all of Europe, I really just stick to models for regions, particular Iberia because that's what's the most relevant for me. I'll expand my interest to France and nearby regions once we have appropriate pre-modern (IA/Roman/Early_Medieval) samples
    add.

I guess that a model is mimicry, it represents reality but is not reality itself.

So this means indisputable loss of information, it can't project all factors. So this loss can in the endeffect be crucial....(see the polls for the elections in the US

No matter how sophisticated, fine-tuned and even based on fuzzy logica (like umap to me) and admitted through this the info loss is getting lower and lower, but it will never reach zero! Because that would mean we would blow up the model and model and reality are one.

Then we have reached the limits of science.....

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Finn For This Useful Post:

Fitis (10-31-2020),  jstephan (10-31-2020)

Global Moderator
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Portuguese highlander
    Y-DNA (P)
    E-Y31991>FT17866
    mtDNA (M)
    H20 (xH20a)

That's the case for all models in all branches of science, we're always simplifying things and losing information in the process, which in turn gives us the ability to better comprehend and create things we would otherwise not be able to. Models are a simplification of reality. The key is to not lose too much information as to make the model invalid. However that's something very hard, or impossible, to assess with the tools we commonly use here (G25 + Monte Carlo) which is why we should take all models with a grain of salt

Hidden Content

[1] "distance%=1.6023"

Ruderico

Iberia_IA+Hallstatt,82.2
    Berber_EMA,10
    Rome_Imperial,7
    Levant_Roman,0.8

15. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Ruderico For This Useful Post:

anglesqueville (10-31-2020),  Finn (10-31-2020),  Fitis (10-31-2020),  jadegreg (10-31-2020),  JMcB (11-01-2020),  jstephan (10-31-2020)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    SGC+TRB Creool
    Nationality
    NL
    Y-DNA (P)
    E-V22

Netherlands
    That's the case for all models in all branches of science, we're always simplifying things and losing information in the process, which in turn gives us the ability to better comprehend and create things we would otherwise not be able to. Models are a simplification of reality. The key is to not lose too much information as to make the model invalid. However that's something very hard, or impossible, to assess with the tools we commonly use here (G25 + Monte Carlo) which is why we should take all models with a grain of salt
    Agree Ruderico! Nice faux pas, Monte Carlo I hope it's more than rien na va plus !

But I guess that especially NW Europe with the haircutting differences this makes it even harder....

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Finn For This Useful Post:

JMcB (11-01-2020),  jstephan (10-31-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Germanic, Slavic, Baltic
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a-L365
    mtDNA (M)
    H1c3
    Y-DNA (M)
    I-CTS5966
    mtDNA (P)
    H2a3

Poland Pomerania Denmark France Sweden Russia Imperial Germany
    grandma
    Target: boilermeschew827grandma
    Distance: 1.3466% / 0.01346635
    55.6 SWE_Battle_Axe
    39.0 SWE_Megalithic_Ansarve
    5.4 TUR_Kaman-Kalehoyuk_MLBA
    0.0 Baltic_LTU_BA
    0.0 RUS_Baikal_N

myself
    Target: boilermeschew827
    Distance: 1.2900% / 0.01289957
    47.4 SWE_Battle_Axe
    28.6 Baltic_LTU_BA
    22.2 SWE_Megalithic_Ansarve
    1.8 RUS_Baikal_N
    0.0 TUR_Kaman-Kalehoyuk_MLBA
    Maternal grandfather: born in Leningrad Oblast, Russia (1928)
    Maternal grandmother: born in Centre-Val de Loire, France (1927) - earliest documented ancestor (1770) Indre, France
    Paternal grandmother: born in the US - earliest documented ancestors (c. 1800) Mecklenburg-Vorpommern and Lower Saxony
    Paternal grandfather: born in the US - paternal grandparents born in Danzig (c. 1854), maternal grandparents born in Kolding, Denmark 1875, maternal great grandma born in Lindberg, Sweden 1849

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to boilermeschew827 For This Useful Post:

JMcB (11-01-2020),  Kellebel (10-31-2020)

Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast