Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The "Northumbria Problem" - A Short Story About Scottish Roots and Living DNA Tests

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    mixed European
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    Dad: R1b/L21/DF63
    mtDNA (M)
    K2b2
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-M269
    mtDNA (P)
    K2b1a1a

United States of America England Wales Sweden Germany
    Quote Originally Posted by sktibo View Post
    Ah damn, dead in the water it is. They're putting their effort into some matching system that's completely unnecessary as I don't see any way it'll be better than what the other companies with already functional matching offer. If I were them, I'd just buff out my British and Irish regions as much as possible and market it as a test specifically for British and Irish genealogical interest. Overlapping continental regions probably only really serve to conflict with potential British regions anyhow, and for someone like me who has Eastern European and Native american ancestry, I can get that elsewhere anyhow so it doesn't really do me any good.
    The problem is that if they want to attract people with mixed ancestry (North Americans), they can't give any reliable B/I results if their German results are way off. Now I get some German, but initially I got 11% Scandinavian (basically right) and some trace stuff, but otherwise English and Welsh results. The fact I knew I had 18% or so German made me think the English results were skewed.

(Unfortunately, it's even more messed up now, IMO.)

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to msmarjoribanks For This Useful Post:

jadegreg (10-27-2020),  JerryS. (10-27-2020),  JMcB (10-27-2020),  jstephan (10-27-2020)

Silver Class Member
    Sex
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-Z198 (DF27)
    mtDNA (M)
    T2B-T152C

England Scotland Poland Germany Canada Quebec Netherlands
    Quote Originally Posted by msmarjoribanks View Post
    The problem is that if they want to attract people with mixed ancestry (North Americans), they can't give any reliable B/I results if their German results are way off. Now I get some German, but initially I got 11% Scandinavian (basically right) and some trace stuff, but otherwise English and Welsh results. The fact I knew I had 18% or so German made me think the English results were skewed.

(Unfortunately, it's even more messed up now, IMO.)
    Yeah, I think that's the problem though, all these companies competing for the same general diaspora, but tons of people of English heritage chose to test with Living DNA because there was some marketing for that angle, and it really showed how much interest people in Britain and Ireland have in genetic genealogy. I think it could be a better business choice to specialize and target that one audience because none of the other tests offer that. Who, born in Britain, with their roots there, would want to test at 23andme after the recent update where it seems to (accurately) assign British people 90%+ British? (except you jadegreg, you continental-percentage getting traitor) Go for the unique market. the Living DNA facebook group was full of people of entirely British heritage who wanted an estimate that would break it down on a British level.
    Last edited by sktibo; 10-27-2020 at 01:42 AM.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sktibo For This Useful Post:

jadegreg (10-27-2020),  msmarjoribanks (10-27-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    North & Ionian Seas
    Nationality
    American

England Italy Germany Scotland
    the North Sea region is a mess on most calculators and from most companies..... if you have some from one place you'll show having some from damn near all places.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    mixed European
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    Dad: R1b/L21/DF63
    mtDNA (M)
    K2b2
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-M269
    mtDNA (P)
    K2b1a1a

United States of America England Wales Sweden Germany
    Yeah, I think that's the problem though, all these companies competing for the same general diaspora, but tons of people of English heritage chose to test with Living DNA because there was some marketing for that angle, and it really showed how much interest people in Britain and Ireland have in genetic genealogy. I think it could be a better business choice to specialize and target that one audience because none of the other tests offer that. Who, born in Britain, with their roots there, would want to test at 23andme after the recent update where it seems to (accurately) assign British people 90%+ British? (except you jadegreg, you continental-percentage getting traitor) Go for the unique market. the Living DNA facebook group was full of people of entirely British heritage who wanted an estimate that would break it down on a British level.
    Yeah, I agree (and would be interested in the results), but it's like US movie-makers going for the Chinese audience -- you go where the numbers are. It's too bad in that my motivation to test was actually the hopes of a different UK-based set of matches, which would be more likely if the test was made to be especially useful to those with longterm UK ancestry.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to msmarjoribanks For This Useful Post:

jadegreg (10-27-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Pictland/Deira
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-M222-FGC5864
    mtDNA (M)
    H5r*

Quote Originally Posted by msmarjoribanks View Post
    Yeah, I agree (and would be interested in the results), but it's like US movie-makers going for the Chinese audience -- you go where the numbers are. It's too bad in that my motivation to test was actually the hopes of a different UK-based set of matches, which would be more likely if the test was made to be especially useful to those with longterm UK ancestry.
    That logic never works because invariably tons of other Americans have the same idea and the next thing you know, its another US database ;-)
    YSEQ:#37; YFull: YF01405 (Y Elite 2013)
    WGS (Full Genomes Nov 2015, YSEQ Feb 2019, Dante Mar 2019, FGC-10X Linked Reads Apr 2019, Dante-Nanopore May 2019, Chronomics Jan 2020, Sano Genetics Feb 2020, Nebula Genomics June 2020)
    Ancestry GCs: Scots in central Scotland & Ulster, Ireland; English in Yorkshire & Pennines
    Hidden Content
    FBIMatch: A------ (autosomal DNA) for segment matching DO NOT POST ADMIXTURE REPORTS USING MY KIT

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MacUalraig For This Useful Post:

jadegreg (10-27-2020),  msmarjoribanks (10-27-2020),  sktibo (10-27-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    English, Welsh
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-DF98
    mtDNA (M)
    X2b4

United Kingdom England Wales Devon Cornwall
    Traitorous soft cheese consumer here. So, yes, They still use the PoBI samples, but have continued to expand and refine the panel, using the same PoBI criteria ( 4 GP, 50 mile radius etc). They are working on the Irish panel, but it sounds like the reason it hasn't 'hit the stores' as of yet, is that the've been trying but still haven't got their mits on any of the 3 Trinity College Datasets. So you'll be waiting until they get enough 100% Irish testers, with identified origins, or they reach a handsome cash figure settlement with the Dubh....
    Last edited by jadegreg; 10-28-2020 at 03:04 PM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to jadegreg For This Useful Post:

sktibo (10-28-2020)

Silver Class Member
    Sex
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-Z198 (DF27)
    mtDNA (M)
    T2B-T152C

Quote Originally Posted by jadegreg View Post
    Traitorous soft cheese consumer here. So, yes, They still use the PoBI samples, but have continued to expand and refine the panel, using the same PoBI criteria ( 4 GP, 50 mile radius etc). They are working on the Irish panel, but it sounds like the reason it hasn't 'hit the stores' as of yet, is that the've been trying but still haven't got their mits on any of the 3 Trinity College Datasets. So you'll be waiting until they get enough 100% Irish testers, with identified origins, or they reach a handsome cash figure settlement with the Dubh....
    Hey Soft Cheese, Chicken Skin here. Thanking you for the info.
    They've refined the British part of the panel or did they just say the panel? The Irish and German references have been updated a couple of times IIRC.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    English, Welsh
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-DF98
    mtDNA (M)
    X2b4

Just British. I made clear that is what I wanted to know. I meant refinement in the Irish categories, in line with Byrne et al. But as I say they haven't got their hands on those samples......yet.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to jadegreg For This Useful Post:

sktibo (10-28-2020)

Silver Class Member
    Sex
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-Z198 (DF27)
    mtDNA (M)
    T2B-T152C

Quote Originally Posted by jadegreg View Post
    Just British. I made clear that is what I wanted to know. I meant refinement in the Irish categories, in line with Byrne et al. But as I say they haven't got their hands on those samples......yet.
    I wonder which categories samples were added to

16. The Following User Says Thank You to sktibo For This Useful Post:

jadegreg (10-28-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    English, Welsh
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-DF98
    mtDNA (M)
    X2b4

I've asked that before, but they only ever deal with generalisms it seems. Still no direct line to the science team, info is always passed on with the heavy filtering of customer services

18. The Following User Says Thank You to jadegreg For This Useful Post:

sktibo (10-28-2020)

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast