Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Relatives sharing segments with different results. What's the explanation?

Registered Users
    Sex

Quote Originally Posted by rober_tce View Post
    Not in all spaniards 23andMe converts his Middle East in NA, not all. In this forum we have an spanish with Arab peninsular cathegory and low NA, in spanish subforum we are talking about these questions and more. Between WA and NA genetic there are differences that this company are separating in this v5.9, in my opinión of correct form.
    FTDNA is still some reliable with new upgrade, but Living DNA gives sometimes strange values.

If in v5.2 you score cyprus, maybe you have in your genome specific Middle Eastern markers that 23andMe detects. As I said you before, also this WA score be related with jewish ancestry.

Obviously, you are free for interpretating your own results

Of all company test, nowadays 23andMe is maybe the most reliable, althought has its defects, like in my opinion his extremely smoothing.
    Oh I've been checking the Spaniards thread in the 23andMe forum and I am the only one gietting arab right now. Could you link to that thread here?

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Andalusian+Jewish traces
    Nationality
    Spanish

Andalucia Spain Star of David Israel Jerusalem
    Quote Originally Posted by agil View Post
    Oh I've been checking the Spaniards thread in the 23andMe forum and I am the only one gietting arab right now. Could you link to that thread here?
    In Reddit I saw also an user of Cordoba with Arab peninsular.

Here the link of the spanish subforum in Anthrogenica:

https://anthrogenica.com/forumdisplay.php?170-Spanish

Read threads "spam o todo vale" and "resultados de ibéricos".
    Last edited by rober_tce; 10-27-2020 at 05:05 PM.
    23andMe: 99.4% Spanish & Portuguese, 0.3% Ashkenazi Jewish, 0.3% Trace Ancestry (0.3% Nigerian)

My Heritage: 91.5% Iberian, 3.6% Ashkenazi Jewish, 2.7% Middle East, 2.2% Irish, Sccotish and Welsh

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    English, Welsh
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-DF98
    mtDNA (M)
    X2b4

United Kingdom England Wales Devon Cornwall
    I would echo rober_tce here. Matching and ethnicty estimation are not assessed using the same method, so there is quite often a mis-match. Have you phased with a parent? That's typically the first issue, that 23&me have not phased your data appropriately, and obviously the extreme smoothing that has occurred in this update has probably further compounded the mis-match.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to jadegreg For This Useful Post:

rober_tce (10-29-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex

Quote Originally Posted by jadegreg View Post
    I would echo rober_tce here. Matching and ethnicty estimation are not assessed using the same method, so there is quite often a mis-match. Have you phased with a parent? That's typically the first issue, that 23&me have not phased your data appropriately, and obviously the extreme smoothing that has occurred in this update has probably further compounded the mis-match.
    Nope I am not phased.

EDIT : and although the ancestry composition and the matching do not use the same method, the Ashkenazi Jew is 100% consistent with both.
    Last edited by agil; 10-29-2020 at 04:58 PM.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    English, Welsh
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-DF98
    mtDNA (M)
    X2b4

United Kingdom England Wales Devon Cornwall
    Quote Originally Posted by agil View Post
    Nope I am not phased.

EDIT : and although the ancestry composition and the matching do not use the same method, the Ashkenazi Jew is 100% consistent with both.
    These sections of your genome (1% Egyptian, 0.3 Peninsular Arab, 0.3 Ashkenazi Jew), I would have thought are likely to be more distinct relative to the sizable Iberian component of your genome, and therefore are more likely to survive the smoothing process.

On your British and Bavarian segments, do you get any overlap with any other Iberians? What happens to these segments as you change confidence intervals? Do they stay Spanish, or do they become Broadly Southern European?

I certainly don't know the minutiae, of how the 'full' ethnicity assignment process works, but it certainly is a possibility of contextual assignment, whereby identical matching segments can be found all across Europe. Given that we as Europeans have a large shared history, and that these segments may be representative of this sharing, they get assigned Spanish, as they are bound/surrounded by clear Spanish segments on either side. That is what this 'robust' smoothing method seems to be doing.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to jadegreg For This Useful Post:

rober_tce (10-30-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex

Quote Originally Posted by jadegreg View Post
    These sections of your genome (1% Egyptian, 0.3 Peninsular Arab, 0.3 Ashkenazi Jew), I would have thought are likely to be more distinct relative to the sizable Iberian component of your genome, and therefore are more likely to survive the smoothing process.

On your British and Bavarian segments, do you get any overlap with any other Iberians? What happens to these segments as you change confidence intervals? Do they stay Spanish, or do they become Broadly Southern European?

I certainly don't know the minutiae, of how the 'full' ethnicity assignment process works, but it certainly is a possibility of contextual assignment, whereby identical matching segments can be found all across Europe. Given that we as Europeans have a large shared history, and that these segments may be representative of this sharing, they get assigned Spanish, as they are bound/surrounded by clear Spanish segments on either side. That is what this 'robust' smoothing method seems to be doing.
    I opened a thread with all the info you just asked:

https://anthrogenica.com/showthread....820#post714820

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12