R1b-DF41>FGC36981
    mtDNA (M)
    U5a2c3a
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-Z253>BY93500
    mtDNA (P)
    K1a1a

Wales Ireland Scotland France Bretagne England Switzerland
    You should read Fung's book, which is actually evidence based.

Diets come and go. Most of them are wildly successful over the short term, but fail over the long term.

What is needed, and what Fung (and some others) provide, is a physiological understanding of the problem of obesity.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rms2 For This Useful Post:

agent_lime (11-30-2020),  Mis (12-01-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex

Quote Originally Posted by rms2 View Post
    You should read Fung's book, which is actually evidence based.

Diets come and go. Most of them are wildly successful over the short term, but fail over the long term.

What is needed, and what Fung (and some others) provide, is a physiological understanding of the problem of obesity.
    That diet is for the very sick with vital organ failure and been there for decades, and is proven beyond doubt, and once one recovers one can make suitable additions, changes to the diet. It is also proven that carefully chosen vegetarian diet is more effective for insulin resistance. Keto is not curing but controlling the situation by eliminating most carbs. And above all why not listen to the primates we evolved from?
    Last edited by Jatt1; 11-30-2020 at 03:52 PM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Jatt1 For This Useful Post:

Kirtan24 (11-30-2020)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    British and Irish
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-DF41>FGC36981
    mtDNA (M)
    U5a2c3a
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-Z253>BY93500
    mtDNA (P)
    K1a1a

Quote Originally Posted by Jatt1 View Post
    That diet is for the very sick with vital organ failure and been there for decades, and is proven beyond doubt, and once one recovers one can make suitable additions, changes to the diet. It is also proven that carefully chosen vegetarian diet is more effective for insulin resistance. Keto is not curing but controlling the situation by eliminating most carbs. And above all why not listen to the primates we evolved from?
    Evidently you haven't read my posts.

The "primates we evolved from" aren't around anymore. Genetically we are very similar to chimps, and they eat meat.

There are a lot of problems with vegetarianism.

Like I said, calorie restriction works for awhile but then fails when the hypothalamus realizes the body is on reduced rations and lowers one's basal metabolic rate. That doesn't happen with fasting. In fact, it has been shown to raise one's basal metabolic rate.

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Punjabi Khatri/J&K/Multan
    Nationality
    India
    Y-DNA (P)
    J2b2a
    mtDNA (M)
    U2b

India United States of America India Punjab Jammu and Kashmir
    This looks like a absurd diet and it still worked. I just cannot fathom how. Scientifically, even the basis of rice proteins seems insane. Amino acids can be gotten from many foods. 100 grams of pure sugar and rice and fruit juice. No modern study will do this. We could try this with mice. But I don't expect any good results.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to agent_lime For This Useful Post:

rms2 (11-30-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex

Quote Originally Posted by agent_lime View Post
    This looks like a absurd diet and it still worked. I just cannot fathom how. Scientifically, even the basis of rice proteins seems insane. Amino acids can be gotten from many foods. 100 grams of pure sugar and rice and fruit juice. No modern study will do this. We could try this with mice. But I don't expect any good results.
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3836143/

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Jatt1 For This Useful Post:

Kirtan24 (11-30-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex

Evidently you haven't read my posts.

The "primates we evolved from" aren't around anymore. Genetically we are very similar to chimps, and they eat meat.

There are a lot of problems with vegetarianism.

Like I said, calorie restriction works for awhile but then fails when the hypothalamus realizes the body is on reduced rations and lowers one's basal metabolic rate. That doesn't happen with fasting. In fact, it has been shown to raise one's basal metabolic rate.
    I guess we no more have guerillas?

Chips diet 99% is vegs and fruits.

Humans are carnivorous with 3" long canines?

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Jatt1 For This Useful Post:

Kirtan24 (11-30-2020)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    British and Irish
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-DF41>FGC36981
    mtDNA (M)
    U5a2c3a
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-Z253>BY93500
    mtDNA (P)
    K1a1a

Quote Originally Posted by Jatt1 View Post
    I guess we no more have guerillas?

Chips diet 99% is vegs and fruits.

Humans are carnivorous with 3" long canines?
    You do understand that humans did not "evolve from" modern gorillas (or any other modern primates), right? The primates we allegedly evolved from are all long extinct.

There are a lot of problems with vegetarianism nutritionally. Vegetarians have to really know what they're doing. It is really easy to be malnourished on a vegetarian diet.

If that's what you want to do, knock yourself out.

Humans are omnivorous, and meat is a regular and longstanding part of the human diet. Evidently three inch long canines are optional.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rms2 For This Useful Post:

Awale (12-01-2020),  FionnSneachta (12-02-2020),  Mirix (12-04-2020)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    British and Irish
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-DF41>FGC36981
    mtDNA (M)
    U5a2c3a
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-Z253>BY93500
    mtDNA (P)
    K1a1a

Quote Originally Posted by agent_lime View Post
    This looks like a absurd diet . . .
    I doubt a diet like that rice diet would work for long, if at all.

A lot of stuff on the internet is horse pucky.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rms2 For This Useful Post:

Awale (12-01-2020),  karnalIroh (12-01-2020),  pegasus (12-01-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex

You do understand that humans did not "evolve from" modern gorillas (or any other modern primates), right? The primates we allegedly evolved from are all long extinct.

There are a lot of problems with vegetarianism nutritionally. Vegetarians have to really know what they're doing. It is really easy to be malnourished on a vegetarian diet.

Humans are omnivorous, and meat is a regular and longstanding part of the human diet. Evidently three inch long canines are optional.
    But they still test everything on mice, are the gorillas closer to human or the mice? Vegetarians if eat right actually get more micro nutrients, but they will definitely need B12 in addition. In fact one can live nicely on leaves or fruits alone.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Gujarati Brahmin
    Nationality
    India
    Y-DNA (P)
    J-L26

India

Really easy to be malnourished on a vegetarian diet? really? There are populations which have been thriving on a predominantly vegetarian diet for centuries. There are elite wrestlers in India who are vegetarians (many of whom belong to the same group as the user Jatt1). I bet you wouldn't want to call them malnourished in their face when you see them.
    You keep saying "read his book", but don't really provide any legitimate study to back up your claims, with all due respect.

On the other hand, evidence for the superiority of a whole food plant based diet is abundant. Some of the renowned studies include the Adventist Health Study, the China Study, works of Dan Buettner on the Blue Zones, and many more.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4191896/
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Zone
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_China_Study

These are all well respected studies in the nutritional science field, done by prominent researchers. Your guy doesn't even have a Wikipedia article, again with all due respect.

I can share many more studies and informational sources, but since you refuse to look at other possibilities than your own pre-established notion, I doubt that it will do any good. So in the end, to each their own. Cheers!
    “Some of you say, “Joy is greater than sorrow,” and others say, “Nay, sorrow is the greater.”
    But I say unto you, they are inseparable.
    Together they come, and when one sits alone with you at your board, remember that the other is asleep upon your bed.”
    ― Khalil Gibran, The Prophet, 1923

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Kirtan24 For This Useful Post:

Jatt1 (12-01-2020)

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast