mtDNA (M)
    U5a2c3a
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-Z253>BY93500
    mtDNA (P)
    K1a1a

Wales Ireland Scotland France Bretagne England Switzerland

The Hormone Insulin as the Driving Force Behind Obesity

Has anyone besides me followed the work of Dr. Jason Fung?

Really amazing, in my opinion.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rms2 For This Useful Post:

Agamemnon (10-27-2020),  Jatt1 (11-30-2020),  Piquerobi (11-30-2020)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    British and Irish
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-DF41>FGC36981
    mtDNA (M)
    U5a2c3a
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-Z253>BY93500
    mtDNA (P)
    K1a1a

I now fast every Wednesday for 24 hours, water only, with otherwise maybe only some herbal tea (no sweetener).

I also follow the 8/16 system: a window of 8 hours in which I eat, followed by 16 hours in which I do not eat at all. I don't eat at all after 19:00 (7:00 pm) until 11:00 the next day (11:00 am).

This allows my insulin level to drop.

Read Fung's book, The Obesity Code.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rms2 For This Useful Post:

Agamemnon (10-27-2020),  JerryS. (12-02-2020),  Tomenable (12-05-2020)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Punjabi Khatri/J&K/Multan
    Nationality
    India
    Y-DNA (P)
    J2b2a
    mtDNA (M)
    U2b

India United States of America India Punjab Jammu and Kashmir
    Interesting topic. I have done Keto a few times. I generally follow a mid carb diet, trying to avoid carbs whenever possible. Fasting is one way. Intermittent fasting is another. Keto is another. I also naturally did intermittent fasting for a long time.

The first time I did keto I dropped from 165-170lbs to 148lbs within 2 months. My waist went from 34 to 28 inches.

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to agent_lime For This Useful Post:

Awale (11-30-2020),  Jatt1 (11-30-2020),  rms2 (11-30-2020),  Targum (11-30-2020),  ThaYamamoto (12-01-2020)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    British and Irish
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-DF41>FGC36981
    mtDNA (M)
    U5a2c3a
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-Z253>BY93500
    mtDNA (P)
    K1a1a

I'm not on a strict keto regimen, but I try to keep my carbs low.

I was a bad boy for a couple of days lately: Thanksgiving and the day after. We're supposed to go visit my youngest son and his family for Christmas. I'm sure I'll be a very bad boy then, too, and probably News Year Eve, as well.

Once the holidays are over, I'll go back to being good.

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to rms2 For This Useful Post:

agent_lime (11-30-2020),  JJJ (12-01-2020),  MikeWhalen (12-06-2020),  parasar (12-02-2020),  Targum (11-30-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    1/2 Italian, 1/2 Armenian
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-U152
    mtDNA (M)
    H5a

Quote Originally Posted by rms2 View Post
    I'm not on a strict keto regimen, but I try to keep my carbs low.

I was a bad boy for a couple of days lately: Thanksgiving and the day after. We're supposed to go visit my youngest son and his family for Christmas. I'm sure I'll be a very bad boy then, too, and probably News Year Eve, as well.

Once the holidays are over, I'll go back to being good.
    Same here but I do love the holiday season. The only good thing for my waist is working from home. In the office people usually brought in an endless amount of food and sweets and combined with holiday parties , it was pretty easy to gain 10+ lbs.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to davit For This Useful Post:

parasar (12-02-2020),  rms2 (11-30-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex

Greece
    Someone can lose weight with any low calorie diet.

I mostly agree with Greg Doucette.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kanenas For This Useful Post:

Jatt1 (11-30-2020),  maroco (12-01-2020)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    British and Irish
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-DF41>FGC36981
    mtDNA (M)
    U5a2c3a
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-Z253>BY93500
    mtDNA (P)
    K1a1a

Quote Originally Posted by Kanenas View Post
    Someone can lose weight with any low calorie diet.

I mostly agree with Greg Doucette.
    Temporarily.

After about six months, the body realizes it's on reduced rations. That's when it lowers one's basal metabolism in response. The weight returns, even if one keeps his calories down to the new, reduced level.

The key is to break the insulin resistance cycle and to have periods in which insulin is low, since insulin is the fat storing hormone. Stress is a problem, too, since stress increases cortisol, and cortisol increases insulin.

The old calories-in-calories-out, eat-less-move-more paradigm does not work. It has a 99.4% failure rate.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Gujarati Brahmin
    Nationality
    India
    Y-DNA (P)
    J-L26

India
    Honestly, I fail to understand the obsession with the Ketogenic diet. Labelling "carbs" as bad is baffling - sure, there are carbs that are harmful (sugar, refined carbs, etc.). But there are also healthy carbs (millet, barley, yams, legumes and such being some examples). Same with the fats. I think almost anyone would agree that drinking half a bottle of sunflower oil isn't the healthiest thing one could do. On the other hand, eating a couple handfuls of nuts and seeds woule be very wholesome.

Some of the healthiest populations have relied heavily on healthy carbohydrates - the Mediterraneans, the Japanese of Okinawa, the Sardinians, the Seventh Day Adventists of the USA, all of these belonging to the groups with the most number of healthy centenarians (read "The Blue Zones").

I myself eat quite a lot of whole grains and legumes. My body fat percentage is around 12-13% all year round. But who knows, I might be proven wrong in a few years.
    “Some of you say, “Joy is greater than sorrow,” and others say, “Nay, sorrow is the greater.”
    But I say unto you, they are inseparable.
    Together they come, and when one sits alone with you at your board, remember that the other is asleep upon your bed.”
    ― Khalil Gibran, The Prophet, 1923

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kirtan24 For This Useful Post:

Jatt1 (11-30-2020),  Targum (11-30-2020)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    British and Irish
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-DF41>FGC36981
    mtDNA (M)
    U5a2c3a
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-Z253>BY93500
    mtDNA (P)
    K1a1a

I'm sure you know that the idea behind keto is to keep carbs so low that one uses ketones for energy instead of glucose, thereby burning stored body fat as fuel. It is a fact that there is no such thing as an "essential carb", so the body does quite well on a very low carb regimen.

On the other hand, Dr. Fung is not a keto guy. He does emphasize keeping one's carbs low, especially refined carbs, but he doesn't advocate keto. Fung is all about understanding the role that insulin plays in obesity and in making sure one is not eating all the time, thereby jacking his insulin levels through the roof, which leads to insulin resistance.

Fung is a nephrologist who often deals with obese, Type 2 diabetics with kidney disease, for whom traditional insulin therapy and low calorie/low fat diets do not work. Fung's own research led him to see that insulin is the culprit. He believes when to eat is as important as what to eat.

The answer to the when question for Fung is intermittently, allowing periods in which insulin drops and fat burning can occur. The answer to the what question is low carbs (no refined, processed carbs), moderate protein, and high healthy fat.

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rms2 For This Useful Post:

Awale (11-30-2020),  discreetmaverick (11-30-2020),  Mirix (12-04-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex

Quote Originally Posted by rms2 View Post
    I'm sure you know that the idea behind keto is to keep carbs so low that one uses ketones for energy instead of glucose, thereby burning stored body fat as fuel. It is a fact that there is no such thing as an "essential carb", so the body does quite well on a very low carb regimen.

On the other hand, Dr. Fung is not a keto guy. He does emphasize keeping one's carbs low, especially refined carbs, but he doesn't advocate keto. Fung is all about understanding the role that insulin plays in obesity and in making sure one is not eating all the time, thereby jacking his insulin levels through the roof, which leads to insulin resistance.

Fung is a nephrologist who often deals with obese, Type 2 diabetics with kidney disease, for whom traditional insulin therapy and low calorie/low fat diets do not work. Fung's own research led him to see that insulin is the culprit. He believes when to eat is as important as what to eat.

The answer to the when question for Fung is intermittently, allowing periods in which insulin drops and fat burning can occur. The answer to the what question is low carbs (no refined, processed carbs), moderate protein, and high healthy fat.
    https://www.drmcdougall.com/2013/12/...the-rice-diet/

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Jatt1 For This Useful Post:

Kirtan24 (11-30-2020)

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast