mtDNA (M)
    U5a2c3a
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-Z253>BY93500
    mtDNA (P)
    K1a1a

Wales Ireland Scotland France Bretagne England Switzerland
    Quote Originally Posted by Jatt1 View Post
    Have you even read what is on that link? Eat kale and spinach to your fill and let us see if you ever get insulation resistance and/or weight gain with it. All trouble comes from the processed foods and bad fats and too high proteins.
    You're not paying attention, and you probably haven't watched the video that began this thread.

No one said kale and spinach are terrible and will cause insulin resistance. Certainly Fung never said or wrote that, and neither did I.

Suspended Account
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    British and Irish
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-DF41>FGC36981
    mtDNA (M)
    U5a2c3a
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-Z253>BY93500
    mtDNA (P)
    K1a1a

Quote Originally Posted by Webb View Post
    Just to play referee for a second, who we are has a lot to do with what foods we can eat or not eat or which foods suit us better. This is a forum based on genetics, after all. I can drink a gallon of Vitamin D milk and even add light cream to it and I am fine. If my son drinks more than a glass of milk it's poop city. A prime example of this: "Greenlanders' genomes signal a fatty diet". Link: https://science.sciencemag.org/content/349/6254/1343.

I guarantee if I consumed the same fatty diet as referenced above, I would need a quadruple bypass surgery if I wasn't already dead from massive coronary failure.
    Read Fung's book, The Obesity Code.

The idea that healthy dietary fat causes coronary artery disease never had any real basis in fact. It stems from Dr. Ancel Keyes' old Seven Countries study, which studied correlation rather than causation and thus came to the erroneous conclusion that dietary fat causes coronary artery disease. More recent research has since corrected that, but Keyes' study led to a lot of bad advice up until very recently.

Keyes was the same guy who conducted the Minnesota Starvation Experiment, btw.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to rms2 For This Useful Post:

Webb (12-01-2020)

Suspended Account
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    British and Irish
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-DF41>FGC36981
    mtDNA (M)
    U5a2c3a
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-Z253>BY93500
    mtDNA (P)
    K1a1a

Quote Originally Posted by ThaYamamoto View Post
    . . . Insulin isn't the driver of obesity . . .
    Wrong, really terribly wrong.

You evidently do not understand insulin's role in the human body.

Suspended Account
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    British and Irish
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-DF41>FGC36981
    mtDNA (M)
    U5a2c3a
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-Z253>BY93500
    mtDNA (P)
    K1a1a

"David S. Ludwig, MD, PhD, is a practicing endocrinologist, researcher, and professor at Harvard Medical School and Harvard School of Public Health. He received a PhD and an MD from Stanford University School of Medicine and completed an internship and residency in pediatrics and a fellowship in pediatric endocrinology at Boston Children's Hospital."

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    100% European
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    DF27>Z195>FGC23196
    mtDNA (M)
    U5a1a2a

United States of America United Kingdom Germany Ireland Scotland Wales
    Quote Originally Posted by rms2 View Post
    Read Fung's book, The Obesity Code.

The idea that healthy dietary fat causes coronary artery disease never had any real basis in fact. It stems from Dr. Ancel Keyes' old Seven Countries study, which studied correlation rather than causation and thus came to the erroneous conclusion that dietary fat causes coronary artery disease. More recent research has since corrected that, but Keyes' study led to a lot of bad advice up until very recently.

Keyes was the same guy who conducted the Minnesota Starvation Experiment, btw.
    I was just being cheeky with the coronary failure remark. This is the abstract from the paper I posted a link to:

"Abstract
    The indigenous people of Greenland, the Inuit, have lived for a long time in the extreme conditions of the Arctic, including low annual temperatures, and with a specialized diet rich in protein and fatty acids, particularly omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFAs). A scan of Inuit genomes for signatures of adaptation revealed signals at several loci, with the strongest signal located in a cluster of fatty acid desaturases that determine PUFA levels. The selected alleles are associated with multiple metabolic and anthropometric phenotypes and have large effect sizes for weight and height, with the effect on height replicated in Europeans. By analyzing membrane lipids, we found that the selected alleles modulate fatty acid composition, which may affect the regulation of growth hormones. Thus, the Inuit have genetic and physiological adaptations to a diet rich in PUFAs."

My point being that there is genetic evidence to support a mutation arising from one's diet.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Mixed Zanzibar
    Y-DNA (P)
    L1307
    mtDNA (M)
    L3b

ZanzibarSultanate United Kingdom Uganda
    Wrong, really terribly wrong.

You evidently do not understand insulin's role in the human body.
    yawn. far as i know the insulin-lipolysis process dictates that if the tissue is insulin resistant a greater amount of insulin is required to shut lipolysis down. a greater amount of insulin is thus required by the tissue to kickstart the process = higher insulin production.improved insulin sensitivity=less insulin required if the tissue cells cannot utilize glucose due to this resistance we then have a problem. i was only stating that the role of insulin is misunderstood in the prevention of obesity and diabetes.

p.s. i wasn't even arguing against 'doctor' fung's assertions but it is what it is lol.
    Last edited by ThaYamamoto; 12-01-2020 at 09:00 PM.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ThaYamamoto For This Useful Post:

Jatt1 (12-01-2020),  Kirtan24 (12-02-2020)

Suspended Account
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    British and Irish
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-DF41>FGC36981
    mtDNA (M)
    U5a2c3a
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-Z253>BY93500
    mtDNA (P)
    K1a1a

. . . but please enlighten me genius.

. . .
    I don't like crap like that. Probably you will be the first person I ever put on ignore.

Besides that, you said, "Insulin isn't the driver of obesity", which is incorrect.

It isn't the sole driver of obesity, but it is the primary driver of obesity.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Mixed Zanzibar
    Y-DNA (P)
    L1307
    mtDNA (M)
    L3b

ZanzibarSultanate United Kingdom Uganda
    I don't like crap like that. Probably you will be the first person I ever put on ignore.

Besides that, you said, "Insulin isn't the driver of obesity", which is incorrect.

It isn't the sole driver of obesity, but it is the primary driver of obesity.
    so you to try tell me i 'evidently don't understand insulin's role in the body' but you're the one to first take offence.
    Last edited by ThaYamamoto; 12-02-2020 at 01:47 AM.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ThaYamamoto For This Useful Post:

Jatt1 (12-01-2020),  Kirtan24 (12-02-2020)

Suspended Account
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    British and Irish
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-DF41>FGC36981
    mtDNA (M)
    U5a2c3a
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-Z253>BY93500
    mtDNA (P)
    K1a1a

so you have the gall to try tell me i 'evidently don't undestand insulin's role in the body' but you're the one to first take offence. give me a damn break. also plato was funnier than 'genius' in the end lol
    Based on what you wrote, yes.

It isn't too hard to come up with sarcastic names like "genius", "Plato", "Einstein", "Fermi", "Oppenheimer", etc., to imply that your target is really the opposite (i.e., stupid).

If that kind of thing makes you feel better, I guess that's what you will do.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rms2 For This Useful Post:

FionnSneachta (12-02-2020),  Mis (12-01-2020)

Suspended Account
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    British and Irish
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-DF41>FGC36981
    mtDNA (M)
    U5a2c3a
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-Z253>BY93500
    mtDNA (P)
    K1a1a

Amazing the way this thread has gone.

I thought the Fung video I posted in the original post was pretty non-controversial, but it seems everyone has an opinion about what and what not to eat and how frequently, and some of those views are held with some emotion.

Some of you are pretty young and active and can get away with a lot when it comes to diet. The onset of middle age may alter your point of view somewhat.

Still, do what you want.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rms2 For This Useful Post:

JMcB (12-01-2020),  Webb (12-01-2020)

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast