Nationality
    Welsh
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-DF49
    mtDNA (M)
    J1c2e

European Union
    Quote Originally Posted by Webb View Post
    My wife is from China, and we regularly eat beef tails and beef shank, or beef tendon as they call it in china. They remove the shank from the bone and she boils it. You don't want to boil it too long or it turns into a roast and shreds. If boiled correctly, once it has cooled you can slice it. It really is wonderful. We also eat beef tongue, from time to time.
    In the UK we call it Ox Tail and is truly wonderful, I think shank is what we call Shin Beef and is the best cut for stewing because of the large amount of sinew. Ox Tongue is expensive in the UK so we normally go for cheaper options but still equally good if not so enormous : )

2. The Following User Says Thank You to jdean For This Useful Post:

Webb (12-10-2020)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    100% European
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    DF27>Z195>FGC23196
    mtDNA (M)
    U5a1a2a

United States of America United Kingdom Germany Ireland Scotland Wales
    Quote Originally Posted by jdean View Post
    In the UK we call it Ox Tail and is truly wonderful, I think shank is what we call Shin Beef and is the best cut for stewing because of the large amount of sinew. Ox Tongue is expensive in the UK so we normally go for cheaper options but still equally good if not so enormous : )
    All three are fairly expensive here in the American markets but much cheaper at the Chinese markets in New York so whenever my wife has a friend making a trip up they usually bring us back a large amount of tails and shanks. New York to Pittsburgh is about a 6 hour drive.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Webb For This Useful Post:

jdean (12-11-2020)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Nationality
    Welsh
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-DF49
    mtDNA (M)
    J1c2e

European Union
    All three are fairly expensive here in the American markets but much cheaper at the Chinese markets in New York so whenever my wife has a friend making a trip up they usually bring us back a large amount of tails and shanks. New York to Pittsburgh is about a 6 hour drive.
    I don't do much in the way of shopping anymore so asked the wife if Ox shin and tail were still cheap and apparently they are but she did wonder why the tail would be since there's only one per cow : )

I suppose you could say the same for kidneys which are normally pretty small though I did order calves kidney at a French restaurant once and was quite taken back at it size, however its was massively over cooked and personally I'd been happier with a quarter the amount which had been treated a little more carefully !!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to jdean For This Useful Post:

Webb (12-11-2020)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    100% European
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    DF27>Z195>FGC23196
    mtDNA (M)
    U5a1a2a

United States of America United Kingdom Germany Ireland Scotland Wales
    Quote Originally Posted by jdean View Post
    I don't do much in the way of shopping anymore so asked the wife if Ox shin and tail were still cheap and apparently they are but she did wonder why the tail would be since there's only one per cow : )

I suppose you could say the same for kidneys which are normally pretty small though I did order calves kidney at a French restaurant once and was quite taken back at it size, however its was massively over cooked and personally I'd been happier with a quarter the amount which had been treated a little more carefully !!
    beef-shank.jpg

This is pretty typical for how my wife serves the beef shank.

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Nationality
    Welsh
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-DF49
    mtDNA (M)
    J1c2e

European Union
    beef-shank.jpg

This is pretty typical for how my wife serves the beef shank.
    Yes definitely what we call shin beef : )

Not likely to see it like that over here though but it does look nice, I'll have to see what the misses thinks : )

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112