Page 36 of 36 FirstFirst ... 26343536

Thread: Greek Discussion Thread

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a1a1b1a2b3
    mtDNA (M)
    U5a2b

Polish–LithuanianCommonwealth Bulgaria Byzantine Empire Russian Federation Israel
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny ola View Post
    Greek Macedonians are more Southern shifted than Bulgarians and North Macedonians. They are less Slavic and more West Asian admixed.
    This is why I posted it. Slavic admixture is unrealistically high and is on Bulgarian-Macedonian level with new added ancient samples
    Last edited by CyrylBojarski; 01-18-2021 at 02:39 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to CyrylBojarski For This Useful Post:

Andrewid (01-18-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex

Quote Originally Posted by CyrylBojarski View Post
    This is why I posted it. Slavic admixture is unrealistically high and on Bulgarian-Macedonian level with new added ancient samples
    One North Macedonian sample is quite southern if i am not mistaken.Thought we need more samples from both Bulgarians and N.Macedonians.

Registered Users
    Sex

Greece Cyprus Byzantine Empire
    Quote Originally Posted by lacreme View Post
    Does anyone know how to read (and translate) katharevousa to modern Greek ? I'm having trouble fully understanding the following text.

Attachment 42629
    Attachment 42630
    Attachment 42631
    Others may correct me, but this looks like Byzantine Greek and quite close to New Testament Greek. I always found the katharevousa documents I encountered in archives hard work, but this seems even more archaic.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Andrewid For This Useful Post:

antpet (Yesterday),  lacreme (01-18-2021)

Registered Users

Quote Originally Posted by Andrewid View Post
    Others may correct me, but this looks like Byzantine Greek and quite close to New Testament Greek. I always found the katharevousa documents I encountered in archives hard work, but this seems even more archaic.
    Can you make any sense about what was this document about ? As I understand, I think, It's about the mentioned monastery located in Palatia (close to Miletus ) which took in it's possession (forcefully? in agreement? ) the fields surrounding it and compensated financially the named former landowners/farmers. The purpose of this move possibly was for the monks to live and work away from public life ?
    I'm even close to the context ? What do you think ?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to lacreme For This Useful Post:

Andrewid (01-18-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex

Greece Cyprus Byzantine Empire
    Quote Originally Posted by lacreme View Post
    Can you make any sense about what was this document about ? As I understand, I think, It's about the mentioned monastery located in Palatia (close to Miletus ) which took in it's possession (forcefully? in agreement? ) the fields surrounding it and compensated financially the named former landowners/farmers. The purpose of this move possibly was for the monks to live and work away from public life ?
    I'm even close to the context ? What do you think ?
    Looks like a contract between the monastery and the local village. So many villagers are listed and it does speak of a pecuniary transfer. Towards end it says so monks can enjoy land uninterupted. This can mean that there was a land dispute before, or it may simply be the way the legal document is drafted in terms of the legal terms necessary for an immovable property transfer. As a lawyer, it reminds me of English legalese or gobbledygook so often used! But Greek is only my second language, so native speakers may give greater clarity.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Andrewid For This Useful Post:

antpet (Yesterday),  lacreme (01-18-2021)

Registered Users

Quote Originally Posted by Andrewid View Post
    Looks like a contract between the monastery and the local village. So many villagers are listed and it does speak of a pecuniary transfer. Towards end it says so monks can enjoy land uninterupted. This can mean that there was a land dispute before, or it may simply be the way the legal document is drafted in terms of the legal terms necessary for an immovable property transfer. As a lawyer, it reminds me of English legalese or gobbledygook so often used! But Greek is only my second language, so native speakers may give greater clarity.
    Thank you ! I think it's clear enough

Personally I don't need further clarification, the only reason I got interested in it's meaning in the first place is the fact that one of the villagers mentioned in it happens to share the same family name with my friend who I usually post about. It's quite rare in the country as most if not all of the people sharing it are part of the same extended family with origins in Izmir. I know though that since the 13th century, when the document was originally written, many centuries of turmoils, depopulations and resettlements followed, as well as posssible surname changes... Still, the region of Izmir is not THAT far away from Miletus and I like to think about the tenuous at best possibility that in centuries that followed some of this villager's descendants managed to survive and move either indirectly through the islands or directly further north.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to lacreme For This Useful Post:

Andrewid (01-18-2021)

Page 36 of 36 FirstFirst ... 26343536