Thread: British with Egypt Coptic & Greek on latest algorithm update - Roma markers?

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Mostly British Isles

United Kingdom Ireland France Scotland Wales

British with Egypt Coptic & Greek on latest algorithm update - Roma markers?

My aunt has a test done, and has a small % of Egyptian Coptic, and Greek, 0.5% Coptic, and 0.7% Greek, but to very high confidence, they stay put when going down to the most conservative 90% estimate. It makes sense as my grandfather was noticeably darker and more exotic looking than your average Englishman. Interestingly, on the comparison to other relatives on relative finder, this doesn't show up, so it looks like it is with the latest algorithm, maybe using the north African samples that were sought out a couple years ago. What did occur to me though, is, could this be indicative of Roma ancestry? Can anyone with Roma ancestry and the latest algorithm update confirm if they have any Greek or Coptic Egyptian showing up?
    Last edited by Rufus191; 11-12-2020 at 07:01 PM.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Celto-Germanic
    Nationality
    English
    Y-DNA (P)
    Possibly R1b
    mtDNA (M)
    H1a3a1

England North of England Ireland Scotland Germany Romani Star of David
    I get a small amount of Greek/Balkan and Western Asian/North African too.

I don't believe Egyptian Copts have made any significant contribution to the pan-Romani gene pool. My WANA is "broadly", but in most Roma it tends to show up as Anatolian and/or Persian. The word "gypsy" came from the belief that the Roma were of Egyptian descent, but this was a mistaken assumption.
    Target: mildlycurly_scaled
    Distance: 1.3578% / 0.01357814
    57.0 Irish
    37.6 English
    2.6 Roma_Barcelona
    1.8 Ashkenazi_Germany
    1.0 Roma_Granada

Current research interest(s): The Viscontis of Milan

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Mostly British Isles

United Kingdom Ireland France Scotland Wales
    Quote Originally Posted by mildlycurly View Post
    I get a small amount of Greek/Balkan and Western Asian/North African too.

I don't believe Egyptian Copts have made any significant contribution to the pan-Romani gene pool. My WANA is "broadly", but in most Roma it tends to show up as Anatolian and/or Persian. The word "gypsy" came from the belief that the Roma were of Egyptian descent, but this was a mistaken assumption.
    Thanks for the quick reply. Yes I did understand anciently, that Roma did originate in northern India. But as I understood it, they are thought to have migrated through both the Middle East and then to Greece and Egypt, settling there for some time before moving further up into Europe. Not sure if that is proven or just speculation. It could be this ancestry comes from some slavery connected ancestor not Romani at all - my grandfather's ancestor was possibly a sea captain and may have had a servant woman on board as well as the 'proper' wife in America. He ran a shop in Basseterre in St. Kitts, once a pirate haunt, but later shipped rum, molasses etc. from the Caribbean to North America and England. I speculated he could have picked up a slave girl from the Azores which would seem a convenient stop from the Caribbean to London. He was wanted for debt in London and fled authorities back to the sea, and I think may have left his servant girl there with two children. He had already written about the war which he was expecting to come to his employer, so may have thought it too dangerous to take them. He probably died fighting the British in the War of Independence.