Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 53

Thread: Y DNA Black Friday sale?

  1. #1
    Registered Users
    Posts
    10
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    European
    Nationality
    Irish, Italian

    Italy Ireland United States of America Ireland

    Y DNA Black Friday sale?

    Hello,

    I'm looking to purchase a Y DNA kit from Family Tree DNA, and wondering if there's going to be a Black Friday sale?

    Right now its $99 for the cheapest one. I don't want to purchase it and then next week its cheaper.

    Anybody know?

  2. #2
    Gold Class Member
    Posts
    13,228
    Sex
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Ethnicity
    British and Irish
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-DF41>FGC36981
    mtDNA (M)
    U5a2c3a
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-M269
    mtDNA (P)
    K1a1a

    Wales Ireland Scotland France Bretagne England Switzerland
    Quote Originally Posted by quinn90 View Post
    Hello,

    I'm looking to purchase a Y DNA kit from Family Tree DNA, and wondering if there's going to be a Black Friday sale?

    Right now its $99 for the cheapest one. I don't want to purchase it and then next week its cheaper.

    Anybody know?
    Don't know for 100% sure, but I think that's as cheap as it's going to get.

    I don't think FTDNA does a separate Black Friday sale. Probably their next sale after the current one will be over the Christmas-Hanukkah-New Year holidays.

  3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rms2 For This Useful Post:

     JMcB (11-21-2020),  quinn90 (11-19-2020)

  4. #3
    Registered Users
    Posts
    602
    Sex

    Sure there is a sale, $100 extra for BAM Files.

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to Jatt1 For This Useful Post:

     losAntonis (11-19-2020)

  6. #4
    Registered Users
    Posts
    420
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1A-Z282
    mtDNA (M)
    H1q2

    Spain Basque Andalucia
    Quote Originally Posted by quinn90 View Post
    Hello,

    I'm looking to purchase a Y DNA kit from Family Tree DNA, and wondering if there's going to be a Black Friday sale?

    Right now its $99 for the cheapest one. I don't want to purchase it and then next week its cheaper.

    Anybody know?
    The last offer I saw in FTDNA was two weeks ago (if I remember well), the prize was 79 $ for the usual ancestry estimation.

    I know it because they did the offer just after I purchase an Yseq panel, and I see these offers too for Ydna tests, if the offer had been a few days earlier, I would possibly have purchased FTDNA's Y-111 instead of Yseq's panel.

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to mokordo For This Useful Post:

     JMcB (11-21-2020)

  8. #5
    Gold Class Member
    Posts
    13,228
    Sex
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Ethnicity
    British and Irish
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-DF41>FGC36981
    mtDNA (M)
    U5a2c3a
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-M269
    mtDNA (P)
    K1a1a

    Wales Ireland Scotland France Bretagne England Switzerland
    Here's the actual sale price chart, good through Tuesday night, 24 November 2020:

    https://learn.familytreedna.com/general/price-chart/

    If you can scrape together the money, it would be a good idea to order the Big Y-700. You're going to want it eventually, so save yourself some time and money and get it now.

  9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rms2 For This Useful Post:

     jdean (11-20-2020),  JMcB (11-21-2020),  pmokeefe (11-21-2020),  Robert1 (11-21-2020)

  10. #6
    Registered Users
    Posts
    602
    Sex

    Quote Originally Posted by rms2 View Post
    Here's the actual sale price chart, good through Tuesday night, 24 November 2020:

    https://learn.familytreedna.com/general/price-chart/

    If you can scrape together the money, it would be a good idea to order the Big Y-700. You're going to want it eventually, so save yourself some time and money and get it now.
    What sale $100 extra for Bam Files. He can get WGS 30x at Dante Labs and Nabula Genomics for $299.

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to Jatt1 For This Useful Post:

     MacUalraig (11-20-2020)

  12. #7
    Gold Class Member
    Posts
    13,228
    Sex
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Ethnicity
    British and Irish
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-DF41>FGC36981
    mtDNA (M)
    U5a2c3a
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-M269
    mtDNA (P)
    K1a1a

    Wales Ireland Scotland France Bretagne England Switzerland
    Quote Originally Posted by Jatt1 View Post
    What sale $100 extra for Bam Files. He can get WGS 30x at Dante Labs and Nabula Genomics for $299.
    I think you can see what sale.

    Check out the post that started this thread, and try to find any mention in it of BAM files, Dante Labs, or Nebula Genomics.

    Personally, I think FTDNA is doing such a good job with terminal SNPs lately that the BAM file and sending it to YFull aren't the pressing issues they once were.

  13. #8
    Registered Users
    Posts
    602
    Sex

    Quote Originally Posted by rms2 View Post
    I think you can see what sale.

    Check out the post that started this thread, and try to find any mention in it of BAM files, Dante Labs, or Nebula Genomics.

    Personally, I think FTDNA is doing such a good job with terminal SNPs lately that the BAM file and sending it to YFull aren't the pressing issues they once were.
    I think it is better to be on both yTees. I was hoping to get one of the kit under my care upgraded but the extra charges for the Bam Files won't let me do that because there are other much cheaper options out there. I don't think that it is in comsumers interest to let FTDNA create a monopoly.

  14. #9
    Gold Class Member
    Posts
    13,228
    Sex
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Ethnicity
    British and Irish
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-DF41>FGC36981
    mtDNA (M)
    U5a2c3a
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-M269
    mtDNA (P)
    K1a1a

    Wales Ireland Scotland France Bretagne England Switzerland
    Quote Originally Posted by Jatt1 View Post
    I think it is better to be on both yTees. I was hoping to get one of the kit under my care upgraded but the extra charges for the Bam Files won't let me do that because there are other much cheaper options out there. I don't think that it is in comsumers interest to let FTDNA create a monopoly.
    No one said it was good to let any company create a monopoly, but the original post asked a specific question about FTDNA's current sale and the possibility that FTDNA would follow up with a Black Friday sale.

    I guess it's okay for you to use that as a springboard to complain that the price FTDNA charges for the BAM file is too high, but that really has nothing to do with the original post.

    As I recall, FTDNA started charging for BAM files in order to lower the cost of the Big Y-700 itself to bring it within the reach of more people, not all of whom need or want the BAM file. I could be wrong about that, but that seems to be what I remember.

    The idea is that more people will order the Big Y-700 if it costs less, and those who want the BAM file can pay the old, higher price, which is what you get when you add the $100 fee for the BAM file to the new lower Big Y price.
    Last edited by rms2; 11-21-2020 at 03:03 PM.

  15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rms2 For This Useful Post:

     Jatt1 (11-20-2020),  Robert1 (11-21-2020),  Saetro (11-21-2020)

  16. #10
    Registered Users
    Posts
    602
    Sex

    Quote Originally Posted by rms2 View Post
    No one said it was good to let any company create a monopoly, but the original post asked a specific question about FTDNA's current sale and the possibility that FTDNA would follow up with a Black Friday sale.

    I guess it's okay for you to use that as a springboard to complain that the price FTDNA charges for the BAM file is too high, but that really has nothing to do with the original post.

    As I recall, FTDNA started charging for BAM files in order to lower the cost of the Big Y-700 itself in order to bring it within the reach of more people, not all of whom need or want the BAM file. I could be wrong about that, but that seems to be what I remember.

    The idea is that more people will order the Big Y-700 if it costs less, and those who want the BAM file can pay the old, higher price, which is what you get when you add the $100 fee for the BAM file to the new lower Big Y price.
    It may work for R1b as they have their own tree but that is not the case for most other haplogroups. All data from the test is the property of the customer and it probably is illegal not to provide it to its rightful owner, and it costs nothing to make it available to the customer as it is already ready and been used by FTDNA to provide the information to the customer. Also, when one seeks help it is the responsibility of the respondent to provide with information of other possible options, I believe, as they may not be aware of it.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-23-2018, 05:55 PM
  2. Black Friday/Cyber Monday Sale - MyHeritage DNA $49
    By Contemplator in forum MyHeritage
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-24-2017, 06:15 AM
  3. Black Friday/Cyber Monday Sale - AncestryDNA $59
    By Contemplator in forum AncestryDNA
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-24-2017, 06:13 AM
  4. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 09-15-2017, 08:31 AM
  5. Ancestry Black Friday Deals
    By AntG in forum AncestryDNA
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-03-2016, 03:55 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •