Irish
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-FGC6545-FT122506
    mtDNA (M)
    H6a1b2h
    mtDNA (P)
    H27e

Ireland Ireland Connacht
    All I can say is that my dad's Y-DNA test wouldn't have been as informative if I didn't test with with FTDNA. For me, these Y-DNA tests are only useful if there's a good database present. FTDNA has the best database for matches and my dad has lots of surname matches. This wouldn't have been the case if I bought the test from a different company and his terminal SNP wouldn't be nearly as refined as it is. Sure, I could look up every SNP that he is positive for it and compare to people on Alex Williason's Big Tree but it would have created much more manual work and I wouldn't be able to contact these people.
    Ancestry: Ireland (Paper trail ≅ 81.25% Roscommon, 12.5% Galway, 6.25% Mayo)
    Y-DNA (P) ancestor (Y): Kelly b. c1830 in Co. Roscommon (Uí Maine)
    mtDNA (P) ancestor: Fleming b. c1831 in Co. Roscommon
    mtDNA (M) ancestor: McDermott b. c1814 in Co. Roscommon
    mtDNA Great grandfather: Connella b. c1798 in Co. Roscommon (T2a1a8)
    Y-DNA 2x great grandfather: Higgins b. c1816 in Co. Roscommon (R-DF109)
    Y-DNA 3x great grandfather: Fleming b. c1829 in Co. Roscommon (R-Z23534)

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FionnSneachta For This Useful Post:

mokordo (11-22-2020),  rms2 (11-21-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Pictland/Deira
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-M222-FGC5864
    mtDNA (M)
    H5r*

Your terminal SNP will be equally resolved doing a sequencing test at Full Genomes, YSEQ, Dante, Nebula etc compared with the test you did so sorry but that is plain wrong. I've actually done all this to prove it.
    YSEQ:#37; YFull: YF01405 (Y Elite 2013)
    WGS (Full Genomes Nov 2015, YSEQ Feb 2019, Dante Mar 2019, FGC-10X Linked Reads Apr 2019, Dante-Nanopore May 2019, Chronomics Jan 2020, Sano Genetics Feb 2020, Nebula Genomics June 2020)
    Ancestry GCs: Scots in central Scotland & Ulster, Ireland; English in Yorkshire & Pennines
    Hidden Content
    FBIMatch: A------ (autosomal DNA) for segment matching DO NOT POST ADMIXTURE REPORTS USING MY KIT

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MacUalraig For This Useful Post:

dosas (11-21-2020),  pmokeefe (11-21-2020)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    British and Irish
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-DF41>FGC36981
    mtDNA (M)
    U5a2c3a
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-M269
    mtDNA (P)
    K1a1a

Wales Ireland Scotland France Bretagne England Switzerland
    Those are fine, but if one wants to be active in FTDNA projects, he will need to test with FTDNA.

FTDNA also has a pretty good system of Y-chromosome matching. It's been wildly successful for me, although I understand from long experience that is not true for everyone.

I'm not criticizing anyone who chooses to test with Full Genomes, YSEQ, Dante, Nebula, etc. Competition is good, and it is a good idea to make sure one's results are consistent. I've tested with FTDNA, 23andMe, AncestryDNA, and Ethnoancestry, which ultimately became BritainsDNA before going under a couple of years ago.

I might even test with yet another company if the urge takes me.

But thus far I like FTDNA best, at least for Y-DNA.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rms2 For This Useful Post:

JMcB (11-22-2020),  mokordo (11-22-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Nationality
    Irish
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-FGC6545-FT122506
    mtDNA (M)
    H6a1b2h
    mtDNA (P)
    H27e

Ireland Ireland Connacht
    Quote Originally Posted by MacUalraig View Post
    Your terminal SNP will be equally resolved doing a sequencing test at Full Genomes, YSEQ, Dante, Nebula etc compared with the test you did so sorry but that is plain wrong. I've actually done all this to prove it.
    My mistake then. I thought that it would be the same as YFull. YFull will tell you all the SNPs that you're positive for. However, with YFull unless your close matches have also uploaded, you're given a terminal SNP that is much further back since YFull have not been able to create their own branches for the downstream SNPs that you're positive for. For example, my dad's terminal SNP with YFull was originally just ZP77. However, once I managed to persuade my close matches to YFull, this was later refined to Y160102. Unless I had managed to convince my matches to upload, I would have remained at ZP77 and I wouldn't have learned anything.
    Ancestry: Ireland (Paper trail ≅ 81.25% Roscommon, 12.5% Galway, 6.25% Mayo)
    Y-DNA (P) ancestor (Y): Kelly b. c1830 in Co. Roscommon (Uí Maine)
    mtDNA (P) ancestor: Fleming b. c1831 in Co. Roscommon
    mtDNA (M) ancestor: McDermott b. c1814 in Co. Roscommon
    mtDNA Great grandfather: Connella b. c1798 in Co. Roscommon (T2a1a8)
    Y-DNA 2x great grandfather: Higgins b. c1816 in Co. Roscommon (R-DF109)
    Y-DNA 3x great grandfather: Fleming b. c1829 in Co. Roscommon (R-Z23534)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    Australian
    Y-DNA (P)
    T-P322 (T1a2b1)
    mtDNA (M)
    H6a1

Australia Cornwall England Scotland Germany Poland
    rms2
    As I recall, FTDNA started charging for BAM files in order to lower the cost of the Big Y-700 itself to bring it within the reach of more people, not all of whom need or want the BAM file. I could be wrong about that, but that seems to be what I remember.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jatt1 View Post
    It may work for R1b as they have their own tree but that is not the case for most other haplogroups. All data from the test is the property of the customer and it probably is illegal not to provide it to its rightful owner, and it costs nothing to make it available to the customer as it is already ready and been used by FTDNA to provide the information to the customer. Also, when one seeks help it is the responsibility of the respondent to provide with information of other possible options, I believe, as they may not be aware of it.
    Most people did NOT want a BAM file (don 't ask me why not, they just didn't).
    So FTDNA split the cost into two - the test without the BAM file at $100 LESS for those people who did not want it;
    and a charge of $100 for the BAM file on top for those who did.

Jatt1 - there is no "extra" fee as you put it. It's just that the charges are split.
    Could that be better indicated in the list of fees and charges? Absolutely.
    But I have had 15+ years of ploughing through DNA charges and what you get for them, and my experience is that it can take a lot to find out what you get - and what you can do with it. And I seem to find that whoever is offering a product or service, but some are certainly better than others.

And yes, I bought the Y-700 knowing I would have to pay more for the BAM, which I purchased later. And that's fine with me.

Registered Users
    Sex

Quote Originally Posted by Saetro View Post
    rms2

Most people did NOT want a BAM file (don 't ask me why not, they just didn't).
    So FTDNA split the cost into two - the test without the BAM file at $100 LESS for those people who did not want it;
    and a charge of $100 for the BAM file on top for those who did.

Jatt1 - there is no "extra" fee as you put it. It's just that the charges are split.
    Could that be better indicated in the list of fees and charges? Absolutely.
    But I have had 15+ years of ploughing through DNA charges and what you get for them, and my experience is that it can take a lot to find out what you get - and what you can do with it. And I seem to find that whoever is offering a product or service, but some are certainly better than others.

And yes, I bought the Y-700 knowing I would have to pay more for the BAM, which I purchased later. And that's fine with me.

How do you justify $449 for Big Y when you have options to have 30x WGS for $299?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Jatt1 For This Useful Post:

losAntonis (11-22-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1A-Z282
    mtDNA (M)
    H1q2

Spain Basque Andalucia
    Quote Originally Posted by rms2 View Post
    Here's the actual sale price chart, good through Tuesday night, 24 November 2020:

[

If you can scrape together the money, it would be a good idea to order the Big Y-700. You're going to want it eventually, so save yourself some time and money and get it now.
    I was totally wrong on the prices. My memory is not what it was ...

12. The Following User Says Thank You to mokordo For This Useful Post:

rms2 (11-22-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    English
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA (P)
    U152-L135

Saetro

The BAM file is the only physical product that a person is buying when taking a test. Matching is less important in theory,as it can be done on any site that is willing to host results. As has been said, there has NEVER been one sale that reduces the cost of BigY 700 if one wants the BAM product.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Iceni For This Useful Post:

Jatt1 (11-22-2020)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    British and Irish
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-DF41>FGC36981
    mtDNA (M)
    U5a2c3a
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-M269
    mtDNA (P)
    K1a1a

Wales Ireland Scotland France Bretagne England Switzerland
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceni View Post
    Saetro

The BAM file is the only physical product that a person is buying when taking a test. Matching is less important in theory,as it can be done on any site that is willing to host results. As has been said, there has NEVER been one sale that reduces the cost of BigY 700 if one wants the BAM product.
    And, in theory, one could set up his own lab, test himself, and recruit others for matching who have done the same.

Pretty obviously most of us need the interpretive and matching services provided by companies like FTDNA.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    English
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA (P)
    U152-L135

Quote Originally Posted by rms2 View Post
    Pretty obviously most of us need the interpretive and matching services provided by companies like FTDNA.
    No disputing that you need matching services, but FTDNA are divorcing the matching and testing in one bundle from the actual physical product of the test. More logical to divorce the matching benefits from the testing and product of the test. It still doesn't explain why they don't have the occasional discount on the BAM file as it more likely to be the "serious" testers who want access to that. To me, it seems perverse that they retain ownership of the physical data that they extract matching data from and yet the customer effectively has to pay a "ransom" to get access to it.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Iceni For This Useful Post:

Jatt1 (11-23-2020)

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast