mtDNA (M)
    U5a2c3a
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-Z253>BY93500
    mtDNA (P)
    K1a1a

Wales Ireland Scotland France Bretagne England Switzerland
    Quote Originally Posted by trdbr1234 View Post
    I already have Y37 with FTDNA and have 1 match at 33/37. Id have better luck uploading Dante to Yfull. 149$ is too good of a deal.
    Okay. I was just curious about what you were getting for your $149.

Just my opinion, but I still think you'd be better off with the Big Y-700 from FTDNA. You'd get their expert interpretive and matching services, and if you want the BAM file, you can get it for $100.

Genetic genealogy is a hobby or pursuit in which patience and investing in the future are the names of the game. You need to drop your line in the water with the Big Y and all its STRs and wait for the fish to start biting. It doesn't happen overnight.

Of course, the choice is yours. I'm just giving my opinion.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rms2 For This Useful Post:

FionnSneachta (11-26-2020),  JMcB (11-26-2020),  trdbr1234 (12-01-2020)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    British and Irish
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-DF41>FGC36981
    mtDNA (M)
    U5a2c3a
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-Z253>BY93500
    mtDNA (P)
    K1a1a

Oh, speaking of dropping your line in the water and waiting for the fish to start biting, I'm not really a big advocate of doing nothing but waiting.

A thing that has been super effective for me has been recruiting autosomal DNA matches from AncestryDNA, 23andMe, and FTDNA's Family Finder for Y-DNA testing.

Another thing that has worked really well has been recruiting people from Ancestry who have not done any kind of DNA testing but who show up with pedigrees that intersect with my own (meaning we share some common ancestors).

On my Y-chromosome line I found a really outstanding match that way. When I recruited him for Y-DNA testing, I only thought we might be related via our potential shared fifth great grandfather. Well, as things turned out, that potential fifth great grandfather is our genuine fifth great grandfather (confirmed also by another match). Not only that, but once the match panned out, my new found cousin became a really enthusiastic genetic genealogist himself, even contributing money for testing others and for paper trail research.

He has also become a really good friend, even though he lives on the opposite coast.
    Last edited by rms2; 11-26-2020 at 04:28 PM.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to rms2 For This Useful Post:

alexfritz (11-26-2020),  FionnSneachta (11-26-2020),  JMcB (11-26-2020),  Kopfjäger (11-27-2020),  trdbr1234 (12-01-2020)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    British and Irish
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-DF41>FGC36981
    mtDNA (M)
    U5a2c3a
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-Z253>BY93500
    mtDNA (P)
    K1a1a

Sorry to keep blathering on, but I wanted to mention how much I have enjoyed my involvement in Family Tree DNA's projects.

I currently administer several of them myself and have administered others in the past.

FTDNA's projects, if done right, can be really fun and extremely informative.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rms2 For This Useful Post:

alexfritz (11-26-2020),  FionnSneachta (11-26-2020),  JMcB (11-28-2020),  Kopfjäger (11-27-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b
    mtDNA (M)
    H

There are lots of reasons to buy a test but if you are really interested in Y genetic genealogy, Big Y700 Next Generation Sequencing (NGS) is pretty hard to avoid.

FTDNA Y Tree & NGS Discovery Database advantages

- Largest tree by far – branches, recent branches, real genealogically inclined testers
    - Greater quality across the database – higher read depths, enriched/targeted Y coverage, resulting in more quality SNP calls and potential for InDel discovery
    - High data integrity – from CLIA certified/CAP accredited lab, rigid chain of custody
    - Better consistency for better comparative branch analysis - improved Hg38 human reference raw results, same methods for alignment, avoiding a mishmosh of data
    - Over half the database consists of Y chromosome expanded coverage and Hg38 designed test results, supporting more SNPs and quality SNP calls
    - Advanced variant call analysis for SNP discovery in more complex regions of the Y
    - Strong branching validation - phylogenetic consistency checks of largest database
    - Block Tree view across all haplogroups - helping visualize relative ages and relationships in branching
    - Database and tree views updated continuously, not in monthly batches
    - Personal Y NGS raw results don’t have to be exported across multiple parties and countries since 3rd party analysis is not required (although it is an option)
    - Personal autosomal DNA and related health data not exposed if 3rd party analysis is desired, since Y NGS raw results are separate
    - Integration to very large surname, geo projects with a very reliable and full standard of Y111 STR markers, also the largest Y matching database of over 750,000 testers
    - Integration to broader range of technology support for haplogroup assignment – lower cost testing (Sanger Sequencing, MassArray/SNP Pack)
    - FTDNA has 20 year track record, A+ Better Business Bureau rating and accreditation

The Results: More branches, More people, Quality data, Better apples to apples comparisons

Graphic versions of the above. You are welcome to copy and distribute.
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/...tages.png?dl=0
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/...tages.pdf?dl=1
    Last edited by TigerMW; 11-28-2020 at 03:20 PM.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TigerMW For This Useful Post:

FionnSneachta (11-28-2020),  JMcB (11-28-2020),  rms2 (11-28-2020)

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456